Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to fix/patch holes?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to fix/patch holes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Kenshin23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix/patch holes?

Hi everyone, this is my first post around here (so, if this is not the right forum to ask in, please move/direct me where to go)
We (my dad and I) just got a new Thunder Tiger TT40 trainer as a gift, and we were really excited to fly it.
Apparently, we were too excited.
When taking the wings to store them, (while waiting for the nitromethane to arrive) my dad was holding one of the room's doors open, but his hand slipped and the door smashed into the wing, and the wing smashed into the control I was holding in my other hand.
The result?
This:

Yeah... ouch.
The problem is that we don't have any hobby shops near us, and we aren't really experienced in this to know exactly how to fix it, so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to temporarily/permanently patch or fix the wing? I thought about using transparent contact paper and putting it on the inside of the wing. Although, it's going to be rather difficult. (I realize the easiest method is to just cut out the damaged part and monokote the wing again, however, since I have no hobby shops near me, I'd have to order monokote online - or something...)
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:28 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: How to fix/patch holes?

If you want to make a repair that will get you back into the air until you get some monokote use clear packing tape. Use it to stretch over and cover the hole in the wing. I've even used plain old scotch tape for quick repairs before. I always keep a roll of packing tape in my flight box for quick fixes at the flying field.

Ken
Old 01-05-2007, 05:09 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Just use a piece of Oracover (Ultacote to you Americans),it's much easier to work with than Monokote.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
Just use a piece of Oracover (Ultacote to you Americans),it's much easier to work with than Monokote.
Jaka,
The point of his post was that HE DIDN'T have anything else to repair with with. And wanted something to get the plane in the air until he could order Monokote to make a proper repair.

Ken
Old 01-06-2007, 03:47 AM
Kenshin23

Hi again, thanks for replying. Both posts are really helpful, so, thank you (the more I learn about materials and such, the better - I love flying, but I've only been able to do so in flight sims - until now, that is.) My dad said we should wait until we go to the airfield to test the plane, so the other pilots (which are way more experienced than we are) could tell us how to fix it properly, but I usually try to look for ways to fix things myself (although I'm good with computers, not R/C planes...) and, I felt bad about having to take a brand new plane to the airfield with a hole on it's wing.

In any case, I talked to my uncle (he bought two planes like this, and gave us the one we, um... "crashed"...) and he told me to go to the website where he bought them. They have it in stock (although I'm not quite sure of the color, should I buy "Yellow" or "Cub Yellow" instead, to match the color on the wings), and, not as expensive as I thought it would be (about $13.75 for a 6' roll) so I'm hoping to order it next Monday.

One more question though: Is it necessary to monokote the entire wing (don't think so, but doesn't hurt to ask), or should I just iron a patch over the hole?
Thanks again for all the help!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Flying freak

I would iron the patch over the whole makee the patch over lap an inch or so. When you should also check the patch as a peflight check list loosing this ould lead to a disaster
Old 01-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Newc

Welcome to flying and what is known as "Hangar Rash", damage done in the workshop. It's happened to all of us and it will again!

When you make a patch of Monokote, make it large enougbh that it will extend over the ribs (or at least some tight existing covering) so that there is a firm surface behind the covering that you are applying. Make the corners of the patch rounded so that it isn't easy to have a corner come up later. You realize that you need an iron to apply Monokote, which uses heat activated adhesive, don't you?

I would go on to the field with a roll of wide clear packing tape and have one of the more experienced folks there show you how to make the temporary fix. I also strongly suggest that you have one of the instructors from the club help you learn to fly. It will make the first flights easier and more fun and with less risk of crashing.

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2007, 05:40 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I carry some old bumper stickers in the car that I pick up different places. They make great field repairs and some of them even look pretty good. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 01-07-2007, 02:48 AM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

I use the clear packing tape for fast repairs. I also have a small bottle of rubbing alcohol in my flight box,to clean the surface before putting the tape on,gets all the oil off, tape stick great.I had a 4 star 40 ,which had some packing tape over some holes for years.The guy I sold it to is still flying it and the tape is still holding strong.

Joe
Old 01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Kenshin23

Hi everyone, and thanks for all your replies. I really appreciate it.
Apparently, my uncle is flying to Caracas (which is where the hobby shop is) sometime next week to -among other things- pick up some 30 meters of monokote. I think he's a little too excited (and scared, from what happened to our plane) as well. [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

@Newc: Hehehe, thanks for the welcome. About the iron: yeah, it was one of the first things I found out about after the initial scare after seeing the hole on the plane's wing. (Initial thought: "Oh sh...!" Second thought: " Shame. New, and we'll never get to fly it..." Third: "Bah, I'll just log on and see what I can find about fixing it." ) I've seen that it takes a little more skill than I have to iron monokote, so I'll leave that part for the pilots at the club.
Also, about flying, since I'm used to flying big planes (in Flight Simulator X, at least), I'm looking at trying or buying one of the flight sims for R/C planes. My choice so far is RealFlight G3.5, but the price tag is a little too much for me at the moment (although, it's better to spend on a flight sim that will let me crash as many times as I need to learn, than crashing a model that will probably only let me do that once, if at all.).
In any case, once I get to the airfield, I'll ask some of the pilots there to give me and my dad a hand with flying it. Hope it all goes well.

Thanks again, and once I get it fixed, I'll post pictures so you can see.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Newc

Seems like you have all the bases covered and you're about ready to go. Good luck and happy flying.