Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Selling your babies?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Selling your babies?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:50 AM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selling your babies?

Hi all, I have a few nice airplanes that I built from kits. (all in perfect/mint condition) I'm very proud of the workmanship and detail I put into these models. For instance, a Goldberg Sukhoi, a Nosen Citabria, a Flyline Great lakes Trainer, etc. I love these planes and spent quite a bit of time building them and there is some "sentimental value" involved. Top quality hardware, engines, and electronics througout. They almost seem like family.., BUT,.. I rarely fly them anymore. My interest has changed slightly towards 40/50/60 cc gas powererd aerobats/stuff. Not being independently wealthy, I need to sell some of my older stuff to get THE new stuff! Man, How do/can you sell your prides and joys?? I'm having a hard time[] They are collecting dust though[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Selling your babies?

It is indeed tough to part with the planes that have been in the hangor a while. Just this past weekend I dug out one of my favorites that has not flown in years and out to the field we went. On my return home I was thinking to myself, why do I just let them sit in the corner as they are fun planes to fly. I can't bring myself to sell them as then I know I would miss them and have to replece them with another. So the hangor just keeps filling up. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My former club had an Auction Night and we'd all trundle in our excess gear and auction it off. Some members donate items to the club before the auction so the proceeds go into the treasury. Worked great and was undoubtedly our best attended meeting of the year. Some real deals were had, but you always knew the buyer was appreciative and it was cash only, so there was no collection issues.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Bass1

Yeah, We are having our yearly auction the day after tomorrow. That' s basically why this post is here. Most of the club members will be expecting "Killer deals" and that's what really makes me nervous!![sm=52_52.gif]
Old 01-30-2007, 03:58 PM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bass1

Yeah, We are having our yearly auction the day after tomorrow. That' s basically why this post is here. Most of the club members will be expecting "Killer deals" and that's what really makes me nervous!![sm=52_52.gif]
Not a problem with selling at an auction. Just make sure you have a reserve price set. Reserve price not met... No sale!

As far as selling a plane is concerned, I figure I'm stepping up to something bigger, better, and/or faster. This eliminates any separation anxiety for me.

Regards,
Bart
Old 01-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Bass1

Good points!!
Old 01-30-2007, 06:24 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Most of the time I would rather it gather dust than sell it for what will bring. I have tried to sell a few in the past for 1/2 of what it cost to build. I got no takers. So I have a shop full of planes. At least I always have a spare.

David
Old 01-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Bass1

Yeah, The old "Pennys on the Dollar" routine. That's basically why my Hangar is nearly full.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Live Wire

To lazy to build to cheep to buy Been there. They even have some one put to gether their ARF
done it again (spelling)
Old 01-30-2007, 09:51 PM
chashint

I have not had any luck trying to sell at the 50% point either, so they just sit there.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:51 PM
CHRISTANEAGLE

I on the other hand am diffrent I will sell one quick,fast,and in a hurry. I find something I want and off to the hobby barn to trade or let them sell it for me. I just try not to get attached, all my stuff is for sale. If I fly it like I stole it I must sell it like I stole it. All but one are ARF's and I guess this is the reason why. If I had built all my planes/helicopters I am sure I would feel like they were flesh and blood and not a step child.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Bass1

Yeah, I don't have much of a problem selling off arfs, just the kits I've spent long cold winters building, customizing and detailing. Heck, when I'm building these things, the thought of selling them in the future is non-existant. Now if I knew I was building a plane professionally for a client (like these guys building Cardens for people for good $[sm=greedy.gif]) that would be another story. Oh well, it's supposed to rain and snow on "auction day" so that gives me a good excuse to just stay home and let my planes rest in peace in my garage!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Blue_Moon_

Im sorry to say i never have those problems. My planes never grow old....
Old 01-31-2007, 06:23 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Blue_Moon_

Im sorry to say i never have those problems. My planes never grow old....
As the song say..... "the good die young!!!!" [X(]

Ken
Old 01-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Blue_Moon_

As i use to say.... Fly it like you stole it!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Bass1

I guess that's why I have so many extra models in my hangar. I fly em' like I fly full scale airplanes.. "as if my life depended on it"! I may try that "fly it like you stole it" method or "fly it like you drive that rental car". That should thin out the herd in short order!![sm=lol.gif]
Old 02-01-2007, 09:05 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sell one of my AIRPLANES???

NEVER!!!

PS, anybody want to buy my wife, or first-born son?

But seriously, I have had to sell planes that I wanted to keep just due to needing the cash. The bad news is, YOUR sentiment has NO value to a buyer. So unless they are museum-quality craftsmanship, plan on not making a lot of money on them.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Bass1

That's the problem. To me they're "Museum quality".[sm=49_49.gif]