Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Y and 2 bats.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:44 PM
freebird1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y and 2 bats.

I have been it this hobby for quite some time and have always wanted to try running 2 Bat for more MhA on a y harness. I am building a 30% edge. I am useing a battery backer, but you can never have to much power. I was thinking I could run two bat on a y harness and a backer would give me lots of power. My bat. are 6v at 2500 Milamp. If I can run 2 bat on a Y harness and a backer would have a total of 7,500 Milamps.

Can this work and has anyone tried it?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2007, 02:10 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Y and 2 bats.

Yes, that will work with no problems. But an even better solution is two batteries going through 2 separate switches going into the receiver. You can either go into a Y-harness into one channel on the battery, or you can go into two separate channels on the receiver. Doing this will give you redundancy in the event of a switch failure, or any other component of your battery power system. Many modelers regularly do this. I do it on all of my larger planes.

Ken
Old 02-04-2007, 08:28 PM
freebird1

ok, I think I follow you, but which channel whould you put the extra bat. and switch in . Which one will get the drain or would they drain equal.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

You can put them in any open channel on the receiver. You can do this because all of the channel slots in a receiver is on a power bus, so putting power in one slot will give power to the receiver. You can even put the battery into a slot that already has a servo connected in it by using a Y-harness, plug the Y-harness into the receiver with the servo plugged into one side of the Y-harness and the battery plugged into the other side of the Y-harness. If you plug two batteries into the receiver they will drain pretty much evenly. There won't be enough difference to even worry about.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 02-04-2007, 10:33 PM
masonman

Hey Ken. If you use two batts an two switches runing into two diffrent plugs in the rx, Would the rx be able to deal with the 12 volts, or would you need to run regulators?
Old 02-04-2007, 10:40 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The batteries would effectively be in parallell so voltage wouldn't increase, just the amount of available current would go up. The next time I run into a plane that needs a lot of extra weight to balance (after trying moving stuff, etc.), I am going to try doing this. After all, if you have to add weight, it might as well be something useful.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If I use two batteries and need to put one on a "Y", I normally do it with rudder.
It allows the battery to have fewer connections to this power consuming control.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:25 AM
freebird1

Ok let me see if I have it all straight. I can use an extra bat by using a switch and by putting it in an extra channel, or with a servo and bat on a Y harness on the same channel, or using 2 bat on Y harness. This is good stuff, never to old to learn.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Newc

The above is not only correct, but in the proper order of preferred methods of doing the set up. The least favorable way to set it up is with the 2 batteries on a 'Y' harness, as this prevents the use of individual/separate switches and charging jacks. Here's a link that gives some very good information, especially the section entitled "Parallel Operation = Reliability and Flight Time" as shown on the left side of the site. You will see that parallel charging is not recommended.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your link didn't show up, but I'm sure you meant Red Scholefield's excellent site.

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/

Adding battery weight for a redundant system beats adding dead lead to balance a model, too.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: masonman

Hey Ken. If you use two batts an two switches runing into two diffrent plugs in the rx, Would the rx be able to deal with the 12 volts, or would you need to run regulators?
ChuckW is absolutely correct. The batteries are in parallel, so it's still only 6 volts available to the receiver but it's an increase the available amperage.

Ken
Old 02-05-2007, 04:05 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kirchoff's principal of parallell and series circuits I believe.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Newc

Exactly right that I was trying to link to "Red Scholefield's excellent site".
Old 02-09-2007, 11:54 AM
freebird1

Thanks! I have learned something. Here is the digram that really makes it easy to understand how it works. I got the photo from Red Scholefield's web site. I thought this may help others!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33805.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	617125