Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

epoxy old??

Old 02-04-2007, 02:31 PM
nutoflyin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default epoxy old??

Does epoxy loose it's strength after being opened for a few months. The epoxy in my bottles is stiffer than when I first opened the bottles. Is it any good or do I need to buy new.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:39 PM
alienx

Default RE: epoxy old??

I will be interesting to hear some other opinons. But I just had to buy new 6 and 30 minute epoxy for this reason. I could hardly get the resin out of the bottle. The hardener helped to loosen the consistancy, but it was still thicker than I needed. So I chucked it out and bought fresh bottles.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Vismund

Heat the bottles up, and the epoxy will be as good as new!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:43 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Put the bottles in the microwave and nuke em. This will heat them up and return them to liquid form that's easier to get out of the bottles. 15 or 30 seconds at a time is good so that you don't overheat them.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 02-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Chocks_Away

I stand mine in a jug of warm or hot water prior to use, depending on how thick or thin I want it to be for using.
Also bearing in mind that the hotter it is, the quicker it sets - even more so for 5 minute epoxy, that I have managed to get very hot and get it to set in about 30 seconds
Old 02-04-2007, 11:48 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be careful putting epoxy in microwaves....there have been reports of family members getting sick after the epoxy was 'nuked'...warm water is the better of the choices (IMHO).....
Old 02-05-2007, 11:25 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Be careful putting epoxy in microwaves....there have been reports of family members getting sick after the epoxy was 'nuked'...warm water is the better of the choices (IMHO).....
I haven't heard of this, but it's not a bad precaution. After hearing this I agree, try the warm water.

Ken