Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Channels for separate Rudder and nose gear servos

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Channels for separate Rudder and nose gear servos

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:14 PM
gatorowen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Channels for separate Rudder and nose gear servos

I recently purchased a Great Planes Giant Stik and I am going to use a Glow engine and a tricycle landing gear configuration. I am using a servo for the rudder mounted in the top of fusalage in front of the horizonal stab. I am using a separate servo for the nose wheel mounted in the cockpit area. I need to know how to hook up each servo so the nose wheel and the rudder will work in unison. I am using a Futaba 7Cap radio with a Futaba R-168DF receiver. I know that with the futaba receiver channel 4 is used for the rudder when a single servo is used for both but not sure which channel to use for the nose gear when separate servos are used. Will a Y harness work or am I going to have to plug into two channels and if so, which two channels. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Channels for separate Rudder and nose gear servos

I'd just use a "Y" harness. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the way I do it.. Be sure your nosewheel and rudder are set up to move in the same direction with the stick on the transmitter.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:32 PM
gatorowen

Thanks for the reply. I tried using a "Y" harness but when I did, the rudder and the nose wheel move in the opposite directions. I can't move the rudder servo because it is offset on the back of the fuselage so the rod goes on the right side of the vertical stabalizer. I have the nosewheel servo on the left side of the fuselage because the throttle servo is on the right side. I guess I could more the nose wheel servo to the right side and try that but that doesn't make for a good set up for the throttle rod to connect to the throttle arm. Do you know if there is a "Y" harness that moves both servos in the opposite directions instead of the same direction which is what I have? I tried using a P-Mixer on my radio but when I do, the nose wheel moves OK to the right but it does not want to move back to the left. I am using channel 4 for the rudder (master) and channel 7 for the nose wheel (slave).
Old 03-01-2007, 06:06 PM
MathmanAHS

If you are using a P-Mix, make sure that you have the mix set for both directions of stick travel. I don't know the 7C, but on my 9C, I have to make sure that it is 100% (or whatever the mixing ratio is) in both directions of stick movement (up vs down or right vs left). You may have it set to one side only.

Another option would be to flip the servo arm around so the center point is 180 degrees from where it is now. Don't know if the geometry of the connection to the nose wheel would be the same, but you might try it. If you can't there, you might try and do it at the rudder end. Make sure there is no binding or interference from other linkages.

Don't know if all that makes sense. If it does, I hope it helps you out.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are reversing Y-harnesses available, but if you can use mixing in your radio, that is a better option. Or as stated above, if you have the space to swap the servo arm, that's a good choice too.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like mixing because I can easily center both servos and I can set the nose gear to a lower movement, generally 35%-50% ofthe rudder. But, then, I like a ton of rudder movement and a very small amount of nose wheel movement.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Original by gatorwen:
I tried using a "Y" harness but when I did, the rudder and the nose wheel move in the opposite directions. I can't move the rudder servo because it is offset on the back of the fuselage so the rod goes on the right side of the vertical stabalizer. I have the nosewheel servo on the left side of the fuselage because the throttle servo is on the right side. I guess I could more the nose wheel servo to the right side and try that but that doesn't make for a good set up for the throttle rod to connect to the throttle arm.

Just move the horn on the steering servo 180 degrees and make the linkage hook up on the other side. [sm=tongue_smile.gif] If I may quote the famous comedian Carlos Mancia, "Der da derrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!"

Thats an easy one guys. Whats with all the reversing Y harness' and fancy programming? Flip the darn servo horn over. Done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64809.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	632771  
Old 03-02-2007, 07:59 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I have two GP Stiks with tricycle gear setup and dual servos but I do mine differently.

I use separate channels for the nose gear and rudder with a P-mix. Nose gear is master and rudder is slave with NO TRIM. That way I can trim the nose gear for steering without affecting the rudder. I don't ever remember having to trim a rudder anyhow so I never worry about it. Works fine for me (I use this setup on all of my tricycle gear aircraft).

My .02

Dan