Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How long will it take?!?!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How long will it take?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 12:56 PM
plugin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long will it take?!?!

I wanted to get some input from expert fliers on the following issue.

I took classes and finally soloed a Hobbico SuperStar .40 when I was 12 years old. I stopped flying and restarted when I was about 16, I soloed again with about 5 half hour classes. I crashed the SuperStar beyond repair and stopped flying again. I'm 22 now, and I'm gonna start flying again, this time it will be a NexStar with a .46 O.S. How much class time should I expect to take before I can solo confidently again? Will I be too rusty?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2007, 04:45 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How long will it take?!?!

It's like riding a bike. Last year I got involved in RC again after about a 10 year absence - though nervous for the first couple of passes the knack came roaring back. From your history of flying it doesn't seem that you stuck with it long enough for the reflexes to become natural. Everyone crashes from time to time, sometimes repairable - sometimes not. The point is that you have to stick with it. You'll solo again when you are ready - and yes the bird may go down - but don't give up this time. Stay with it long enough to build the confidence required and you will be fine. Welcome back to the world's greatest hobbby!!!

Best of luck,
Dan
Old 05-12-2007, 06:27 PM
plugin

Thanks, I'm really thrilled of my decision. And yes, this IS th world's greatest hobby.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 AM
bluestratos

Same here, I started flying when I was 30ish, quit after 8 years and returned to it when I was 50. I was very nervous but it came right back to me. Built a trainer, flew it twice and progessed right back into giles, chipmunks and 50cc Ultimate. Feels like I never quit. The funny thing is how many people do exactly what we did, take a 10year or more respite then return to the hobby.
The other thing I discovered was how much things have changed!! When I quite, 1/4 scale was big, 1/3 scale was hugh and electrics were just starting to make headway. Today a 60 size plane is small, and 40% + are common. 50cc engines are works of art compared to the old 40cc engines anchors we used to fly, lol. I used to own a 9channel radio, now my I have a 14 channel with channel expander that gives me 22 programable slots! Wonder what things will look like in another 10 years, lol.

Regards,
Randy
Old 05-14-2007, 10:39 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What you want to do is to get a simulator. It will get you back in shape without risking your plane.

If you're getting the nexstar, it comes with a sim, so you're all set!

You'll be flying in no time.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:48 AM
bluestratos

Yes, I bought the G2 simulator and practiced landings. Over and over and over. By the time I started flying my landings were better than when I left off I believe.
Best regards,
Randy