Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Whats the best smoke system for my new saito 72?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Whats the best smoke system for my new saito 72?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 04:24 PM
vancouverman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best smoke system for my new saito 72?

Hello:

I just received my new World Models Rambler 45 and went down and bought a new Saito FA72 for it and am wanting to put a smoke system on this airplane and was wanting to know the best/cleanest installing/functioning smoke system to install on it?

Thanks

Jay
Old 08-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Valve floater

Default RE: Whats the best smoke system for my new saito 72?

Sullivan smoker. Adjustable motor speed for volume thru the radio. A must to get smoke from a nitro engine. I have battled smoke systems on an os 91 fs and with halfway success. I now have a Saito 100 and it works ok but you have to make a preheater around or inside the muffler to make it smoke better. Smaller fs engines don`t make enought heat to make a lot of smoke like you see the big boys that use gasoline engines and large hot smoke mufflers. I had the oil injected at the header pipe,;hottest point; but some smoke oil, once it reaches the muffler, is sucked or pushed thru your return for your tank.It goes into your glow tank! Not good. Over time the engine is forced to run on some of the smoke oil mixed in with the glow fuel. This makes for nasty Mix adj.`s and swells up the o-rings in the engine. The best way i have come up with is to have a flex pipe {Saito sells it with a tap at the top of the pipe, and get a 90` turn coupling to come off the engine} coming off the engine, then put the muffler on the exit and inject the smoke oil there away from the engine. Leave the fuel tank line high up closer to the engine so the oil is at the end of the line and can`t get back into the tank. Large Gasoline engines can burn a little of this oil, so it is not really a problem. Glow no! Also, the small Saito 72 will have a major RPM drop when you turn the smoke on. It robs a lot of power. Don`t expect to smoke while hovering with a 72 or smaller. It is a lot more to it when you try the get smoke out of the small engines. I made a coiled brass tube and stuffed it into the factory Saito muffler and then drilled a hole out of it to hook on the black neoprene tubing to it. I closed off the muffler nipple because it is not used. Take some insulation and wrap the muffler.Then with metal duct tape wrap it to hold in all the heat you can. Good luck. It is a challenge but it can work. This is just my opinion and what i have run into. Thanks
Old 08-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Valve floater

From Valve floater. This is a pic of the Saito 100 with the smoke system.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85020.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	740152  
Old 08-12-2007, 08:24 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be sure to buy LOTS of cleaner and towels, you will need them. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Valve floater

Smoke is nice. If it`s a cropduster it is almost a must. But it is a lot of headache and simple green cleaner. Make sure to get that muffler at the bottom of the plane and get it low out of the way to minimize oil spray cleanup.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:09 PM
vancouverman

Never mind.....I just changed my mind about smoke on my plane....sounds like a headache

Jay