Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

need help on a engine question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

need help on a engine question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:49 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on a engine question

I want to use my radio to shut down my engine,But my saito 4 stroke has a airbleed carberator.
Is it ok to shut off the airbleed so all the air must pass through the rotor valve in the carb?
Otherwise if I hit the throttle cut off it wont work because air is bypassing the valve.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need help on a engine question

Have you tried shutting down the airbleed screw so it still idles and transisins well ?
What model of Saito is this?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:14 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It doesn't matter whether it's an airbleed or not, you can still adjust it to shut down with a "throttle cut" mix. Your throttle setting must allow the engine to idle very slowly with the stick back at its minimum position. My 9C Futaba has a throttle cut feature which is adjustable and assignable to any switch; when you flip the switch, it completely closes the throttle bore. My .65 Saito has an air bleed idle adjustment, and the throttle cut works fine with it. The Futaba manual can guide you through setting it up. (unless, of course, you don't have a Futaba radio[])

If you close the air bleed screw completely, your low end and idle will be too rich, which will affect your mid and high end settings, as well as your idle performance.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Ed Smith

I do not have a kill switch on my transmitter so here is what I do. The throttle trim on most radios works only on the bottom half of the stick movement. With the trim in the centre I adjust the throttle movement to give me high throttle to the lowest idle I want without shutting off. With the stick in its lowest position I then readjust the movement to shut the engine off with the trim.

Ed S
Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 AM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for help,Im using a Hytech FRlash five .It has a built in throttle cut by pressing the cut/save button. I ajusted the Bore to be slightly open at lowest throttle and when you hit the cut button its suposed to close the bore all the way which it does.The problem im having is the bore can be compleatly closed and the engine still runs due to air bypassing the bore through the air valve. Im thinking mabey I have to ajust the air valve to let the engine stop when the bore is closed. I was just woundering if it should be ajusted to be closed compleatly. In order for the cut switch to work.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

NJ George,

Have you checked all the other common leakage areas to make sure that they're sealed, such as where the intake stack seals to the cylinder - is there an O-ring there? I don't have any problems with my Saito .82 or Saito .56. I shut them down easily with either the Throttle Cut switch or by closing the throttle trip, depending on which radio I happen to be using.

Bob
Old 08-15-2007, 08:38 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: NJ Georgee

Im thinking mabey I have to ajust the air valve to let the engine stop when the bore is closed. I was just woundering if it should be ajusted to be closed compleatly. In order for the cut switch to work.
The air bleed does not pass enough air for this to happen. It is only used to set the low speed mixture, and if you close it completely, your low speed and idle will be too rich, which will affect the high speed mixture. Something else is either leaking air, or your idle is set too high. It may take some playing with the throttle end point and throttle cut to get it to kill the engine. The air bleed also works backwards from a needle type idle mix. When you screw it out (air bleed), the mix gets leaner.