Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 Where to find retracts? >

Where to find retracts?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Where to find retracts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:15 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find retracts?

Planing on starting another build in the next couple months. I'm having trouble finding retracts that fit the dimensions though. The plane is a bit unusual, since the vertical stab is underneath the plane, the gear has to have REALLY long struts. The gear also retract forward on this plane. I'm going to give it an 80" wingspan. This mean to be true scale it would need gear 13.5" long from axle to pivot.

Anyone know of anything that fits the specs? If not, how hard is it to lengthen store bought retracts? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99590.gif
Views:	18
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	783068  
Old 10-14-2007, 10:44 PM

Default RE: Where to find retracts?

You can replace the music wire (struts) in most mechanical retracts. They're just held in place by a setscrew.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:55 PM

ORIGINAL: broke_n_bummin

You can replace the music wire (struts) in most mechanical retracts. They're just held in place by a setscrew.
Music wire for a plane around 20lbs? How thick does music wire get?
Old 10-14-2007, 11:59 PM

Ahhh. I see your dilema. I should have thought before I said anything. For some reason I was thinking 80" would be maybe 15 pounds. (must be the 3D in me)
Some of the retracts for the 1.60 and larger warbirds are pretty long. Ummm ... I think I read in a post here somewhere that Robart or Century Jet can custom make retracts. Of course it would probably come with a custom price tag.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi ArmedZagi,

Like broke_n_bummin said I doubt if you will find this sort of thing "off the shelf". Here in Oz there is a custom retract wizard by the name of Peter Gow, Tel 02 46545331 for a quote. I'm sure that in the US there are also custom retract makers. The oleos are also going to be a custom jobby.

Good luck with what looks like a very ambitious project. I look forward to seeing the build in the scale forum.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 10-15-2007, 09:00 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sierra Precision makes a set of main gear that retracts forward and rotates 90 degrees. These are of the highest quality and come with a machined strut. You can get the strut made to any length you need. Give them a call.

http://www.sierragiant.com/products.html
Old 10-15-2007, 11:31 AM

Ya, I'm trying to stay away from getting custom made retracts. My savings account hurts just thinking about it . I've got access to a really nice machine shop here at college, I may try building my own. A man in my club made a set of retracts for his OV-10, so I can probably get some ideas from him. I'm hoping that I can buy the air mechanism by itself and build everything else.

Just an interesting side note, I'm going to try building this one from molded fiberglass. And I don't feel like paying a couple hundred dollars for foam, so, I've been going around to all the businesses in town asking if they have any large scrap pieces of styrofoam. Let me tell you, that question will get you some strange looks