Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

BEST PAINT NEED help

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

BEST PAINT NEED help

Old 04-07-2003, 08:15 AM
Ronplanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST PAINT NEED help

I WANT TO SPRAY PAINT MY BUILT UP AIRPLANE AND WANT TO USE AN OVER THE COUNTER FUEL PROOF PAINT , CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON ER WHICH PAINT WILL STAY ON THE BEST, email me [email protected],com or post reply
Old 04-08-2003, 02:04 AM
CafeenMan

The word "best" is relative. About the most fuel proof paint you're going to get is 2-part automotive urethane. It's hazardous to use and expensive. I wouldn't hesitate to use it, but please be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions for protecting yourself.

I haven't had good success with the polyurethane paints sold through the hobby industry. I've had them come off with repeated contact with raw fuel as well as chip off the primer.

What does work well is good old fashioned dope.

Some guys are using Rustoleum, but I've never tried it so can't comment.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:26 AM
spitgy

I have had good luck with Rustoleum paint - cheap - works OK for a small plane (65" or smaller). I like hobby poxy but its hard to get and is hard as nails - its 2 part and you need a face mask with charcoal filters.
Clarke inductries (check the net) of Ontario Canada have a water based paint that's supposed to be good. They sell only premium scale kits so I assume it has to be good paint.
tfacr
Old 04-18-2003, 04:11 AM
old propnut

I have been using rustolium paint in the spray cans and find most of them are fuel proof at 15% if you allow them to dry for Four or five days. their metallic paints are not fuel proof. Always test any paint before applying to your pride and joy.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:58 PM
briankenney91
My Feedback: (1)

Cafeen man is right I used to do auto body work and your best bet is an automotive paint. It will look alot better and will last alot longer than the cheap old rustoleum. It will be a little bit more expensive and as long as you use a good respirator than you will be o.k. Just make sure before you paint it if you use an auto paint that you scuff the surface of it up good if it is plastic or fiberglass or the paint will not stick very good. You can use a grey colored scotch brite pad, your local automotive paint store will have these. If you have any other questions about using auto paint then email me.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:49 PM
slapshot
My Feedback: (15)

Default paint

Been using Rustoleum for years, a little heavy, but it works great and it's cheap.

Slapshot
Old 05-22-2003, 02:00 AM
FLYING MOUNTIE

If you want it to last go with automotive paint - I too used to do autobody and most of my airplanes are done in base coat - clearcoat. This allows you to do as many colors as you want in less time and then clearcoat. I have an F-14 thats ten years old and well used - still looks like new. my 2 cents.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:43 AM
Ronplanes

Default I tried the rustolium pro

rustolium professional is working great on my new kit plane ,I let it dry for a week and I flew it about 10 times and its holding out.