Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

over powered

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 01:39 PM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default over powered

I was wondering what you all think about over powered planes. I here that some people said you can never over power a plane and I see post on here a lot saying that is way to much for that plane.

I have a GP Space walker with a ST 75. The all the weight that I had to put on the nose to get it on the cg I can put a gasser on it. I think I am going to try it Just for fun. I have 2 or 3 engines here that I can run on it. 19cc 25cc and a 35cc gasser. I know that the plane will fly with any one of the engines I have, but will it be over powered? what do you?

Paul
Old 12-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: over powered

How well is the plane built? If it can stand the added vibrations etc. created by the larger than normal engines, you will probably be okay. Just remember that the entire plane will experience higher than designed type stresses. This includes the stabalizer, fin, rudder, elevator and wing and landing gear (especially how the gear is mounted). Excess power can cause any one of these to fail if overstressed. Personally, I like the overpowered planes but they often demand judiciouse use of throttle and more than normal care on maintenace and preflight checks.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty much with Rodney on this one. If you over-stress and fold a wing or stab, no amount of power in the world is going keep the plane form smashing to bits when it contacts Terra-Firma. The philosophy that more power can get you out of trouble, can double back on you and get you into trouble, also. Judicious use of the throttle applies to underpowered airplanes as much as overpowered, It's just a matter of staying ahead of the power curve.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:11 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gas engines usually requite 3/8 to 1/2 birch ply firewalls to mount on with plenty of reinforcement,what is your firewall like?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:02 PM
danny31292

I think the only way to overpower a plane is to make it too heavy, make it have to much vibration, or have a pilot who doesn't understand throttle management.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:42 PM
KI8FR

Well the fire wall is 3/8 hard play. I put gusets all around it. The stab has been beefed up good. I took the landing gear off the wing and put it on the fus with hard 1/2 ply with gusets and it is good and strong. Now I have to decide what engine to put on it.

What I have is a homie 25cc weedeater converted. I have had that on a plane the for a year and it worked grate. love the enine. I was thinking of putting that on it, but I have a nice US 35cc with ie that I can put on it too. Now it weighs more then the 25cc. I can move the servos to the tail and not have to add weight to it.

With the homie 25cc I do not have to move the servos or have to add weight. but the 35 has a lot more power and would be a lot of fun on this plane.

It is so hard to decide what to do. (I CAN HANDLE THE STREAS) LOL

I think I have too meny planes that I need to get redy for spring. I can get it all done if I just know what I want to do lol

Got to love this hobby.
Paul
Old 12-24-2007, 04:27 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: KI8FR

Well the fire wall is 3/8 hard play. I put gusets all around it. The stab has been beefed up good. I took the landing gear off the wing and put it on the fus with hard 1/2 ply with gusets and it is good and strong. Now I have to decide what engine to put on it.

What I have is a homie 25cc weedeater converted. I have had that on a plane the for a year and it worked grate. love the enine. I was thinking of putting that on it, but I have a nice US 35cc with ie that I can put on it too. Now it weighs more then the 25cc. I can move the servos to the tail and not have to add weight to it.

With the homie 25cc I do not have to move the servos or have to add weight. but the 35 has a lot more power and would be a lot of fun on this plane.

I think I have too meny planes that I need to get redy for spring. I can get it all done if I just know what I want to do lol

Got to love this hobby.
Paul

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-24-2007, 05:01 PM
KI8FR

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Got to love this hobby.
Paul
Your engine might be okay in that plane, but it looks as though your spell check is broken.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Yes it is. Is that a prob? If it is I am sorry. Send me one and I will use it just to make you happy
Old 12-24-2007, 06:10 PM
danny31292

Post edited because
1. After rereading it I have realized how it actually sounded. Plus it portayed an idea far from what was intended or agrees with my values
2. It was not the way I want to be viewed on RCU or to anyone who googles my username and finds this post
3. Leaving and not responding would give you more evidence that people like making fun of others for personal enjoyment.
4. Comments to this post will totally sidetrack this thread
Old 12-24-2007, 06:32 PM
2HI2C

danny31292

Edit:
Old 12-24-2007, 06:34 PM
KI8FR

Do you love picking on people that has disabilities? I have dislexia and spell checkers take up to much time.

I have been on RCU for some time now. Most people do not have a prob with my spelling. and the reson why is they do not need to cut some one down to make them feel smart or greater than others. but if some one does, in time they learn that they do not need too. They learn that no one is perfect and just cuz some one has a disability does not meen that they are not smart.

No one on this list know who I am, or what I can do. but if it make them feel better about themselves, to cut my second grade spelling as you called it, so be it.

Paul
Old 12-24-2007, 09:24 PM
danny31292

I hope you'll look at my edited previous post KI8FR. So how well do the weedeater motors work in the 25cc range since they seem great to put on a plane like the spacewalker. Is there a weight penelty compared to a rc specific engine and is the performance about the same? I have a convert engine in a boat but I need a new carb before it can run.

Merry Christmas and I hope Santa brings yall some nice planes tonight.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:01 PM
KI8FR

The weedeater is about 2lbs and 15oz it will spin a 16x8 prop at 7900 rpms. It is ie I made the fly wheel but got the module from CH-ignition. I run the stock carb on mine for now. but I am going to do a test with a carb off my US just st see if I can get to 8400. The 24 weighs the same as the ST .75 and all the weight that I had in the nose of the plan. Gas is cheeper then glow and it is a lot easier to start. To me gas is a lot more dependable then glow. The weedeater was cheep. You can go out and buy a engine just like it for $350. You have to put some work in to the thing to make it but it is a lot of fun. Here are some pics of me making my 1st one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84327.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	833477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb88002.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	833478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60876.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	833479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52291.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	833480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dp83717.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	833481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn85326.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	833482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx46016.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	833483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Po49706.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	833484  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Po98848.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	833485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug42683.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	833486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb20684.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	833487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zj46664.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	833488  
Old 12-24-2007, 10:06 PM
danny31292

A 35 cc would give you awesome power. I was just reading about people stickem on the same planes as os 160's. Isn't it also nice that you don't have to carry as much fuel.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you love picking on people that has disabilities? I have dislexia and spell checkers take up to much time.

I have been on RCU for some time now. Most people do not have a prob with my spelling. and the reson why is they do not need to cut some one down to make them feel smart or greater than others. but if some one does, in time they learn that they do not need too. They learn that no one is perfect and just cuz some one has a disability does not meen that they are not smart.

No one on this list know who I am, or what I can do. but if it make them feel better about themselves, to cut my second grade spelling as you called it, so be it.

Paul
Excuse me for making the above comment concerning your spelling. I had not a clue that you had a disability. I see so much of that sort of thing from those who spent so much time texting, and won't do anything about it. In your case, you can't. Again, excuse my rudeness.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-24-2007, 10:10 PM
KI8FR

I have pics of it running on a plane but I cant find them. Bummer. But when I do I will post then.

Have a great Christmas every one. Evin if you do not get that big bird you asked for lol

Paul
Old 12-24-2007, 10:14 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would you mind explaining what you are doing in the above photos,some I can tell that you are cutting the case to make it compact but some I am lost.like the flywheel,I am guesing you removed the cooling fins but did you also make it smaller in diameter since there was no need for the magnets if you went ei?
Old 12-24-2007, 10:24 PM
danny31292

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Paul
Excuse me for making the above comment concerning your spelling. I had not a clue that you had a disability. I see so much of that sort of thing from those who spent so much time texting, and won't do anything about it. In your case, you can't. Again, excuse my rudeness.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
I guess I had the same thought process as stickbuilder with my comment. But your very apparent knowledge about the hobby should have ruled out you being one of the new age lazy texters who doesnt give their post a second of thought. Anyway that engine looks like it took some time.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:26 PM
KI8FR

On the last post I put ie not ei. I should just give up lol.. I did not need magnets. All I did was cut the center out of the fly wheel and drilled a hole in it to put in the pick up magnet. You do not need a fly wheel with a engine on ei. The prop will do what the fly wheel did..

I did not have a laeth so I just put it on a drill press and ran a grinder on it to try to true it up. I then put it on a prop balancer. I drilled a hole in it to make it balanced. It worked great.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:29 PM
KI8FR

This engine from start to finish took me about three hours

Im sorry I guess I have never thought about lazy texters,,Sorry for my comments.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:43 PM
danny31292

No I think your comment was absolutely necessary. I think it was kind of clear that you weren't a lazy texter. Plus you may not realize it but comments like yours are really the only way to make people think about what we say on the internet. Its also nice to know that you don't think we're horrible people when everything gets cleared up.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:00 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I suspect if your bright enough to modify the weedy motor that well your bright enough to find the spell checker

Good luck with the weedy I have thought abought doing one of those also.
And yes Sislexia Ducks most people have a small degree of Dislexia at least at times.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:16 PM
KI8FR

I spell so bad that the spell checker has no idea what Im trying to spell. Most of the time I have my wife proof read what I type but she isnt always around.

One day I was playing with gas/glow and the flywheel on the engine came off and hit me and I got hurt. I got on the gas/glow forum to warn people of the danger on not being careful, my wife wasnt around to proof read it and I butchered it. I put on the bottom of the post sorry for the spelling and expained why I spell so bad I have been on the post so much everyone got to know me, it was no big deal. but I had to get my point across and I didnt want anyone to get hurt.

I guess when I got in this one I must of forgot that some people dont know me. I shouldnt of replied to the posts and got off topic I should of known nobody meant any harm but from time to time Im going to be misspelling I just need to get used to people not knowing or understanding.

Merry Christmas everyone

Paul
Old 12-24-2007, 11:30 PM
danny31292

Some people just forget to differentiate the idiot who insists on fly a aerobatic plane as a trainer and then uses absolutely no punctuation in their post from the person who learned English as a second language or may have dyslexia/a disability. I also can spell words so bad that spell check has no clue what I mean. Usually if i google the word google will figure it out and try to correct me.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For spelling help, I found a free program that I installed that works great. It is ieSpell and; after installing it I just click on Tools and it spell checks anything I type in this response.
I do not remember the source but perhaps a Google search will find it. It is fast and efficient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.