Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Thrust?

Old 04-13-2003, 02:14 AM
jdp8488
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thrust?

If I want to give my airplane a little right thrust, standing from behind the airplane, would the prop shaft be pointing a little to the left, sending the air to the right of the plane, or should I have the prop shaft a little to the left?
Old 04-13-2003, 02:34 AM
Mustang Man-RCU

Default Thrust

If you want right thrust point the prop shaft to the right. You can build the thrust into the firewall when you build the plane or you can add it after the plane is built by shimming behind the motor mount with small washers. IE:
If you want right thrust place the washers between the motor mount and the firewall top and bottom on the LEFT side motor mount bolts.
Good Luck
Steve
Old 04-13-2003, 03:02 AM
jdp8488
My Feedback: (11)

Default Thrust?

On the left side when you are in front of the plane looking at the firewall? this would tilt the shaft to the right when you are standing in front, correct? same thing as I meant, it would be pointing left if you were to stand behing the plane. So what it means is, the thrust of air blowing a little to the right, right? I think I got it, thanks, Justin.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:34 AM
David Cutler

Default Thrust?

Originally posted by jdp8488
On the left side when you are in front of the plane looking at the firewall? this would tilt the shaft to the right when you are standing in front, correct? same thing as I meant, it would be pointing left if you were to stand behing the plane. So what it means is, the thrust of air blowing a little to the right, right? I think I got it, thanks, Justin.
erm no.

(argh!)

It's conventional (and easier) to assume you are the pilot when talking about left and right anything on an aircraft.

To get right thrust, you must point the engine to the right looking forward. That is, shim the left of the bearer looking forwards.

The engine pulls along the line of the crankshaft, so it has to be pointing to the side you want the model to go. Don't think about the air blowing, think; point it right, to go right.

David C.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Mustang Man-RCU

Default Thrust?

Thanks David,
Thats what I was trying to say. I did'nt mean to confuse the issue.
Steve