Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

?? Why is O S putting big mufflers on their four strokes

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

?? Why is O S putting big mufflers on their four strokes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ?? Why is O S putting big mufflers on their four strokes

I agree, I bet it has a unique sound.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:56 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Jeeeeeez, to think I had to come to an RC forum to learn that Norway has rednecks also. [>:]
Old 01-24-2008, 04:41 PM
chashint

Boy ... it is easy to yank a chain around here.
I think bla bla is funny and like it or not he is correct about quite is good and quieter is better, anyone thinking otherwise is not thinking of future modeling activities.
Maybe bla bla's posts are meant in mean spirits but I didn't take it that way, and by the way I do kinda like banjo music.
Had I been consulted by OS I would have voted for another size increase to the old muffler design.
Regardless of functionality the new OS four stroke muffler is not sleek and beautiful but as someone else mentioned its the price that I object to more than the muffler.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe it...a bunch of men sitting around and saying bigger is not better.......amazing!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:20 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: Hircflyer

I can't believe it...a bunch of men sitting around and saying bigger is not better.......amazing!
Not as amazing as if it were a bunch of women sitting around saying bigger is not better
Old 01-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I had a hard day at work today and this thread has given me quite a chuckle

Did I say that quiet is better ?
Old 01-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Hill202

yea, nothing like a little banjo pickin on the front porch to relieve the stress
Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

The mufflers on the new 2 stroke .75AX is huge as well.

I would rather be a Hillbilly tied to an ant hill and covered with jam than be from Norway.
Green River
Old 01-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: bla bla

Your guys are funny. I thought so until I read this post
Complaining old women! Concerned consumers
Oh it's new, its different... its not what I'm used to. Different is not always better
I won't have it, lets rebel... to the barricades. If I decide I won;t have it I'll buy froma vendor that does have what I like

In the mean time:

1. The picture is shot with a wide angle lens so it appears bigger than it really is. yea, right
2. The design is produce in such away that it doubles as a Pitts style muffler thus saving you $$$. if you want or even needit
3. Quiet is good. Very quiet is very good. In your opinion
4. OS don't give a F' about what you think as there's enough people to buy as is. marketing genious
5. It's better than what been previously available. again, in youropinion
6. Think progress, evolution. Think looks good, works good, not ugly
7. Or stick to the banjo. until they come up with a better one?
8. Saito will be following the trend shortly.Did not realize you had the inside word from Saito headquarters. Thanks for the heads up

Old 01-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Pa-18cub150

I thought the idea of a pitts style muffler was to fit inside the cowl. I must be mistaken if this muffler is to double as a pitts muffler.

I think bla bla picked the right handle for him self. I know, I’m sorry, I just couldn’t resist any longer.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:06 PM
RACJ

I'll buy used engines on RCU,even if I have to rebuild them before I pay for something that ugly.That's a Moped muffler=You know it would be fun to fly, you just wouldn't want your buddies to catch you with one.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:16 PM
seanucd2000
My Feedback: (1)

Wow, it's not just the new four strokes with big mufflers. Check out what came on my 25FX!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41865.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	860250  
Old 01-25-2008, 01:24 AM
whatwind

I started this thread hoping someone could give me factory's answer. I was about to buy one of these engines to put in a plane but wanted an in cowl muffler. I got no answers to my emails so went with a big 2 stroke. When I build a plane I want it to look like a plane ane right now someone is reaching for the key board to say "than you need to go electric". I like four strokes. I DO NOT WANT ELECTRIC'! My money my choice. What I was wondering was did OS do this to improve over all preformace or to pacify sombody or some group who probly dosen't even buy their product. We live in a world where 5000,000 people are bent to the will of one"and their lawer". As far a preformace goes I can buy a 61 instead of a 45 lose a littel power with an in cowl muffler and fly fine. In my "OPINION" OS would sell a lot more fore strokes if they came ith in cowl mufflers. And also in my opinion you could build a quiet in cowl muffler. If you look at the other post people on RCU got the 40 and 60 ultra sport back on the market for a short time. So these forums do some good. And by the way ba ba you don't know me I don't know you. You called me a hillbilly I'm a cedar chopper!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:51 AM
carrellh

The closest you'll to get the factory's answer will come from "Bax" if you ask the question in the OS Support Forum. And, all Bax can give you is OS marketing info about less noise and more power.

It's doubtful that anyone who works for OS, and knows the "real" reason, will read and reply to this thread.

So, all you're going to get is speculation.

The Saito 82 also has an ugly muffler, and it came out long before the OS. I have no idea how its size compares to the OS.

Name:	Vt57496.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	860473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28574.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	860474  
Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Pa-18cub150

Whatwind

What motor and plane combination are you considering? Most of the older style mufflers are still available. There also aftermarket options that may be tailored to your application. You could also look around the forums and see how others with your plane tackled the problem. There are some ingenious people on hear. Remember necessity is the mother of invention.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:34 AM
whatwind

Sorry for the lag time. I had ordered a giant supersportster. didn't want to go gas because in the add tower stated the fuji 32 would fly the plane but not be a real preformer so I thought I would bite the bullet and buy a big four stroke. The saito 180 had the big muffler so I checked on os the 200 would be great I thought. After checking every engine site I could find {and I sure someone is going to point out what site I should have gone to } I found a picture of the engine and muffler. no matter how I looked I just didn't see it working. I wasn't going to spend that much and than spend more for an after market muffler.My hate affair with mufflers begain with my third plane I think it was a thunder tiger sport. It was a pretty little arf but it had a pattern to cut out the top of the cowl even on the box they had a picture of the engine and muffler I ordered a pitts turned the engine sideways and flew it for six months than sold it.
After reading several post the 32 flys it fine but still If I spend that kind of money I don't want to spend more.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:39 AM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunt no why use guys is werried bout nois. I jus takes me earing aids out an everythin is quiet. I dunt here nuttin. 'Snice to be old! Eh?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:05 AM
whatwind

I guess I should have worded my post differently. every one jumped in thinking it was about noise when it's about having to buy an in cowl muffler when you buy a new engine. I just don't like having a beer can sticking out the side of the plane.And I do apologize to OS for picking ont hem alone.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:03 AM
sebo

I know what you mean about trying to hide the muffler. I build mostly scale or almost scale models. I want them to look real. Trying to find a muffler that can be enclosed in a cowl is a real PITA. I have all kinds of mufflers that I purchased hoping that they would fill the bill for a specific plane only to find out that they don't fit. Then I buy another muffler to try it. I have a box full of mufflers. Even had some specially made for me. It's a losing battle.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:15 PM
bla bla

Here's a couple of shots of the new engines grabbed with a normal, as opposed to a wide angle lense as mentioned, yet so typical ignored, pages ago.
Not that big... what the fuss about... Squeal like a pig etc.

Name:	Ca80939.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	866251  
Old 01-31-2008, 04:21 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: sebo

I dunt no why use guys is werried bout nois. I jus takes me earing aids out an everythin is quiet. I dunt here nuttin. 'Snice to be old! Eh?
Firefox has a built-in spell checker.

somegeek
Old 01-31-2008, 08:05 PM
sebo

Heck, I thot that were a smell chekr! Ya lerns sumptin evry day.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Hill202

ORIGINAL: bla bla

Here's a couple of shots of the new engines grabbed with a normal, as opposed to a wide angle lense as mentioned, yet so typical ignored, pages ago.
Not that big... what the fuss about... Squeal like a pig etc.
You are correct, according to Photoshop the pic I posted was shot with a wide angle lens using a large aperture setting. However, I do not think it is distorting the picture. I think the reason the mufflers look small in the picture you posted is because they are on smaller engines.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:42 PM
victorzamora

Sebo, lurn too spelle! Thuh wurde is spellte "daye." Aye thotte yoo wurr smahrt-hur thenne thatt!!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:34 AM
bla bla

I love this hillybilly talk.
Hey you know, that film The Deliverence has painted a picture of rural USA that has us European visitors to your country clinging onto big city urban lifestyle like an Alabama tic! Don't you dare set foot out side the city boundries! Unless you wish to be Rogered senseless in a swamp.[]

I've held these engines and the mufflers aren't that big. Shure, the bigger the engine, the bigger the pot... obviously but these are real quality mufflers unlike the old style tube for a better word. And Yes they designed to rotate, so they're perfectly usable as a pitts which makes a great deal of sense. I have several BCM/ and slimline mufflers and they certainly ain't notin' (Hillybilly?) special. They're just oil diverters. Apart from Hattori/Greve etc F3A kit, there isn't any after sales mufflers for sports engines worth a monkies except those from Davis Diesels IMHO. Those where real, sound reducing, performance enhancing items. Very nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.