Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How many guys to you fly with?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
1 or 2 of us
10.61%
3-6 on a good day
43.94%
7-10 usually
22.73%
around 15
4.55%
20 or more
3.03%
30+
7.58%
I try to fly when the others dont.
7.58%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

How many guys to you fly with?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Jester241

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many guys to you fly with?

On an average weekend....when you show up to your flying field....how many guys/gals would you expect to see flying throughout the day Just an average guess is good.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: How many guys to you fly with?

Where is 'all of the above'?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Jester241

You dont get an "all the above"! It has to be an "average"

lol
Old 12-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Live Wire

I have been to the field and no one was there, This is in the good flying seasons and I do not fly alone[:@]

OH I voted 1-2
Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly early afternoons on Sunday when the field is empty due to heat... that's the way I prefer it.. Mayb5e 1 or 2 flyers besides me are there.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:20 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

My club's busiest day of the week is Wednesday. I've seen 22 on a Wednesday.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:37 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't fly when there is more than one other plane in the air. After being destroyed by mid air with a gasser and shot down by someone turning their transmitter on, I don't fly when there is a crowd. I just set around and shoot the breeze.

Yet I do not fly alone
Old 12-30-2008, 07:03 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

there may be 30-50 members at our field on the weekends (warm weather) but 4-5 at the most ever fly at once. jets and very large prop planes usually get the air to themselves. to much risk for me to fly around someone's $10,000+ airplane.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:36 AM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

not enough!! we have a fantastic paved field with no club anymore!! me and the family go and usually dont see a sole!! anyone in the greenville ms area want to start a club?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I try to get to the field around 10:30 or so. After driving an hour to get there, unloading and relaxing a bit, the crowd has thinned. By 12:00 it is down to 5-6 people. After 1:00 it is usually me, my brother, brother in law(s) We have the field to ourselves.

I just do not like flying when there are 10 planes in the air. I have lost to many planes over the years to Tx's being turned on without the freq pin, people to excited to pay attention to what they are doing. That is one reason I try to fly at home. I have a short strip in my front yard.

Dru.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 AM
w8ye

Dru, you are doing it right
Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM
cloudwalker

Hi jester 241 Just a few sheep most days, week end just about 4 or 5. I fly mostly alone on open moorland with nobody around for miles. But like I say, club site at week end 4 or 5. Bill.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:24 PM
kid chuckles

We usually have the same 6-7 folks show up about the same time around 1:30 or so and by that time the 2 fella's I fly with are pretty much done and watch for awhile. I won't fly with anyone in the air, and land if someone starts up while I am flying. We had a discussion about this at one of the meetings and i said my piece about only one flying at a time and they agreed that if someone was new of just got shook up while flying that they be left alone. The guys that can handle it and don't mind then they can fly 4 at a time if they want. That is why when the majority shows up we have already been there for several hrs. to fly kinda in piece and not have to worry about getting shot down as we all use 2.4 or us 3 do anyway. Good flying to yall. OH one of the guys lives across the street and has been a friend for many many yrs. The other is a fella I went to HS with and now both live in a town about 100mi. away, we ran into each other at the local Soccer field and got to talking and realised he had Graduated the yr. before me from the same HS and we knew bunches of the same people lol. Two very good guys and hope they think the same about me[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 01-01-2009, 07:57 PM
w8ye

I have it lucky as it is 2 mi to the flying field and only have to worry if someone else mowed the grass or not. They always do. I'm retired and can fly anytime the weather is right. There's usually just 2 or 3 of us and we fly one at a time and do not run any engines when someone is flying. We do have to share the field with the free flighters but that has never presented any problem. The car guys stay over on the paved areas.

But some people have to drive 30-50mi to the field and then there's grass mowing and field rent. It can be a real hassle. Most people have to work and can only fly on Sunday afternoons or so. Then they have to share the field with 20 other people.

I must really have it made?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Mode One

I find much more then 5 flying and I likely will wait for a break in the action. However, I have made the jump to 2.4 Ghz as the frequency board has been overlooked too many times by many of the members in my club and is literally meaningless.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:02 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone else stated I fly early afternoon , the heat keeps people away , love to fly with no more then 2 guys at a time , unless everyone around me is female and good looking , then I dont care how many planes are in the air .
Old 01-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on the time of year and the field I go to that day. I like to fly at one of the Dry lake beds and during the summer we get there at the crack of dawn, there can be up to 30 or more pilots. During the winter on a nice day maybe 15 or so. Mostly really nice guys and fun to be out there with them. The other field I sometimes fly at I get there at the crack of dawn in the summer and fly by myself or maybe a couple of guys, the crowd starts showing up between 10 and 11 and I pack it up and go home. I can go out any time the wind is up and have that field to myself. Winter seems to keep the crowd down for some reason but come spring and fall we get a lot of guys flying. There is another field I can go to most any time of the year and have it to myself. NIce place but I miss some of the guys to banter with. The desert rats are just a fun group to be around.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:50 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the course of a busy weekend day, there can be over a hundred. That would be counting the park flier area, the main runway, the three heli circles and the control line circles too. That's not counting the occasional rogues flying in the grass area surrounded by the "No Flying Over the Grass" signs, or Cliff flying his Mini CX in the new trailer.

Gotta love the Basin!!!

Scott
Old 01-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Sandmann_AU

At my club on any given weekend (assuming the weather's good) you could find 20-30 people there as early as 8am. Usually most have gone home by about 11am when the wind starts picking up, the weather gets warmer, and the plane always seems to be between you and the sun. There's usually a few than hang around or turn up in the early afternoon, and after 2pm helicopters get right of way on the runway so you might get 7-10 chopper boys then.

Personally I'm a shift worker so I fly when I get time off which is often mid-week. It's not unusual for me to have the entire place to myself then which suits me fine. I don't like competing for airspace, and I like to keep my mistakes private.

Matt