Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flooding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:48 PM
rychencop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooding?

i recently purchased a Nexstar select .46 and have been trying to start it in the past few days. i fill the tank but it seems that it is always getting flooded. i has started twice for just a few seconds and then nothing. am i filling improperly? i know if fuel comes into the line going to the muffler it's going flood. how can i avoid this?

i plan to join a local club, but wanted to at lease have it running when i show up at the field. any tips would be great.

Thanks
Derek
Old 01-29-2009, 02:29 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Flooding?

Disconnect both lines.
Fill the tank with the carb line until you see some fuel come out of the muffler line.
Take a little bit back out at that point (1 turn or so on a manul, a second or so on an electric pump)

Make sure you don't have the lines crossed.

You shouldn't be flooding, those rear mounted needle valve engines are a pain to keep from fuel draining back to the tank as it is, I've never seen one flood unless your holding your finger over the muffler and cranking the engine for a while.

Might want to pull the glow plug and spin the engine with a starter to clear it out if it is indeed flooded.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:54 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: rychencop
i plan to join a local club, but wanted to at lease have it running when i show up at the field.
Thanks
Derek

You've got that a little backwards. Always best to wait for experianced help before attempting to run. Engines can be damaged as well as people. Operating a glow engine is not intuitive and not exacltly like other types of engine you may have used before.

Always get help in airplane setup, engine operation and the flying.

John
Old 01-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Smacka

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

i plan to join a local club, but wanted to at lease have it running when i show up at the field.
Thanks
Derek

You've got that a little backwards. Always best to wait for experianced help before attempting to run. Engines can be damaged as well as people. Operating a glow engine is not intuitive and not exacltly like other types of engine you may have used before.

Always get help in airplane setup, engine operation and the flying.

John

I agree! I have a Nexstar Select .46 and it started the second flip, and has been running strong ever since. Something IS wrong, and may be as simple as a high or low end needle adjust. Join the club and work it through together. You will be glad you did!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:37 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally some fuel will come into pressure line when tank becomes full. However it should not flood engine since it shouldn't be getting into carberator then into intake unless needle valve is wide open or if engine is inverted then it could flood motor from muffler. Anyway no reason that excess fuel can not be worked out prior to connecting glow starter. If it is starting and only running few seconds perhaps needle valve is wide open and engine floods soon as it starts. Close needle valve completly, open just 2 turns. Assuming it not now flooded hold finger over carb intake and turn over prop about 3 times(without glow starter on). from then it should start. Repeat if need be. Once it starts adjust needle for rich running (open about 1 turn). If not getting success get some help from expert.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 PM
rychencop

thanks guys! i'm @ work right now, but i'll give it another shot tomorrow. if i can't figure it out i'll just wait until i go to the field and get some hands on. i did try the filling it directly through the carb line and i now at least have fuel in that line which i didn't before. i'm sure at this point it is a needle adjustment. this model has a limiter on it so it's only a half turn either left or right. what i'm still trying to understand is why when i fill it using the fill line, no fuel goes to the carb, but it comes out of the line going to the muffler. the directions regarding filling the tank suck with this kit.

thanks for the tips and i'll keep at it.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 PM
TedMo

Ok here's your answer. Since apparently you have 3 lines, fill pressure and supply to engine. Perhaps you have not plugged your fill line after filling. If not then you do not get any pressure to tank. Why it will come out of pressure line when full is because that line is not restricted as is the supply line by means of the needle valve. I didn't originally realize you where useing 3 lines. That should now solve your problem.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Smacka

ORIGINAL: TedMo

Ok here's your answer. Since apparently you have 3 lines, fill pressure and supply to engine. Perhaps you have not plugged your fill line after filling. If not then you do not get any pressure to tank. Why it will come out of pressure line when full is because that line is not restricted as is the supply line by means of the needle valve. I didn't originally realize you where useing 3 lines. That should now solve your problem.

Exactly!!! If your particular RTF (NexStar Select is a Ready-to-Fly) is missing the fuel plug for the GREEN fill line, then you have your problem solved. As TedMo stated, you cannot build up tank pressure to encourage the fuel to make it through the high speed needle valve and into the carburator. This OS .46 Engine does NOT have a pump.

You are NOT flooding this engine...this RTF does not flood! You have the condition above OR a needle valve on the low or high end that is set too lean.

Happy Flying!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:24 PM
rychencop

Success!!! i discovered that it was indeed running too lean. the plastic limiter that was attached was set in the wrong position. i also discovered that i was not filling correctly. all seems well now. i just ran it on the stand for a good 15 minutes at all speeds and no hickups.

thanks for all the help.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Smacka

Success!!! i discovered that it was indeed running too lean. the plastic limiter that was attached was set in the wrong position. i also discovered that i was not filling correctly. all seems well now. i just ran it on the stand for a good 15 minutes at all speeds and no hickups.

thanks for all the help.

Good Job!!!! Now, go fly...
Old 01-31-2009, 05:04 PM
TedMo

Great to be able to determine the problem. This is part of our hobby, problems and fixes. Have fun flying, hopefully with an instructor.