Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Will the AR500 work for my application?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Will the AR500 work for my application?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Flyboywbl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will the AR500 work for my application?

Hey guys i have a Showtime 4D 90 and i just upgraded to Spektrum for my 9C. I used to have a 7 channel 72Mghz receiver but now i need to get a spektrum one. I was looking at the AR500 five channel receiver and i was wondering if it would work. it has two aileron servos, two elevator servos (thats where the problem would be i think) a rudder and a throttle servo. Now this receiver has six servo slots. It basically has a built in Y harness so the ailerons would be covered but my question is, with the 9C radio and the AR500 could i mix the two elevator servos and have them work? I used to have this set up on my 7C but i had to use a servo reverser which was a pain because the two servos would always get out of sync.

Thanks for the advice

-Matt
Old 02-23-2009, 03:53 PM
thnksno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will the AR500 work for my application?

The AR500 is a bargain for the right purpose... A friend has one and I noted the "extra input oddity" which is basically an internal y-harness. You cannot mix through this input as you would with an AR6000-7000, so basically a no sale in my book. Though it is a GREAT alternative to the AR7000 for a basic plane that only needs 4 channels. I think Spektrum basically markets the AR500 to fill the void as the AR6000 series is only good for park flyers, that AR500 is half the cost of an AR7000.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Flyboywbl

I'm fine with the alierons being on the y harness and not mixable. I guess my question is, will i be able to mix on channels 2 and 5 for the two elevator servos or is channel 5 strictly for landing gear on the 9C? I guess i could spend $79.99 and get a AR6200 for this model. Then i could mix the ailerons and elevator servos.

thanks
-Matt
Old 02-23-2009, 05:10 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably shouldn't reply to this because I am a diehard spend it on radio save elsewheres. That's my reply.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Flyboywbl

yah i guess i can go with the AR6200 for the showtime. Right now i'm upgrading to 2.4 and i'm trying to save a little coin. I have a fourstar 40, fourstar 60, fourstar 120, a hobbico twinstar, a great planes tcraft 20, and a showtime 4D 90 that all need recivers. I'm gonna go with the ar500's for the fourstar 40 and 60 and for the twinstar. The fourstar 120 has seven servos (i put in flaps) and a ryobi 31cc gasser so i will go with the AR7000 for that one. Then my Three heli's (Raptor 50, Sceadu evo 30, and Trex 450SE) have a AR7000, AR6200, and an AR6000. Any way thanks for your comments.

-Matt
Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 PM
A6Ordie

according to the manual for the AR500 channels 2 and 5 are mixable for dual ailerons. according to the manual for the DX7 you can assign the gear channel to be mixable. Check out Horizons site for the downloadable manuals. You probably have the DX7 one. Look at the mixing section around page 52 or so. Take your AR7000 and play around with it see if you can get a good mix with the gear channel as a slave to the elevator. It says in the manual that mixes 5 and 6 use the trim tab for the master and slave, so this may be your answer.

Good Luck,
Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Flyboywbl

Thanks! Yah i'll take a look. I just bought a Blade mCX BnF and it is alot of fun. it took a little time to get it set up on my 9C but it is a great little flyer!.
-Matt
Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 AM
thnksno

LOL! I was re-reading and wondering about using an AR6XXX series in anything but park flyers... It appears Spektrum has come out with a few new receivers since I last looked, COOL! I'm restoring an old Cub and need a receiver for it, I have a small budget for the project and I have $100 committed for an AR7000 (the last time I looked at Spektrum was in September) - - Now it looks like I can save $20 and get an AR6200!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Flyboywbl

Yah they have a lot of cool new stuff. They have a 7 channel heli receiver now with a build in RPM governor which is just awesome. If i wanted to get it i would need to upgrade to a LiPo reciverpack so i'll just stick with the AR7000 i have right now. I can always add a governor later. The AR500 will be cool for sport planes in the 40-60 size range. I have the AR6200 on another Heli and it works just like the AR7000 but its a lot smaller. I think 72mz is fading fast. I'll bet some of the guys at the club will like what is happening because they can get a spot on the frequency board and there is less of a likelihood of someone "shooting them down". I must say though for heli's 2.4 is a no brainer. I'm the only guy at my club who regularly flys helis so i usually go off in the corner to practice a good 100 yards away from every one so as not to clog up the runway. If some one was on my channel they probably would not care to ask and then i would have some real problems. I also like to fly the micros at parks and baseball feilds and you never know what kind of devices are going to be on there. What i really need spektrum to do is come out with a cheep full range three channel receiver for rc combat. That is the one part of the hobby where you alwayse come into frequency problems because you have 8 flying at once. I hate taking off the wing and digging out the receiver to swap x-tals. any way i hesitated to upgrade to 2.4 because i was 14 receivers into 72mz. plus i had a 6xas, a 7CHPS, and a 9C super and i did not want to buy a new radio. I ended up getting the module for the 9C and it works really well. I've not found a need for more than 7 channels yet and it's way WAY cheeper than the FAAST stuff out there. Also you can buy all the fun horizon hobby "toys" and bind them to the DSM2 module.

Cheers
-Matt
Old 02-24-2009, 01:22 PM
thnksno

Yup 2.4 is the way to go! I upgraded last year and haven't been looking back... No more sequestered radio and like you said, I fly in parks and IDK what kind of interference may be around.

Lol! between a couple friends of mine we had 3 MCx Blades in the room. Question: I wonder if we can bind them all at the same time?

Answer: YES!

Ha... No way to fly all of them at the same time though... Sure we got them all in the air at once, but they don't all fly the same. Was a fun experiment though!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Flyboywbl

Yah i could see some heli combat with them. I'm trying to teach my wife how to fly it. she is struggling alittle but i brought it to work and every one was able to fly it no problem.

-Matt
Old 02-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Flyboywbl

The only problem i've had so far with going spektrum when I was all futaba is i'm shaving of alot of J connectors.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 PM
thnksno

ORIGINAL: Flyboywbl

The only problem i've had so far with going spektrum when I was all futaba is i'm shaving of alot of J connectors.
lol same problem here... As an added benefit I shoved a couple Ernst plugs through the jacks not knowing the difference. It seems on the wrapped Rx like the 6100 there's no problem pushing the J connectors in, but the hard cased 7000 is an issue. i used to make two trips to LHS, now I just buy 2-3 size of whatever and sandbag the extras... Ha! Nothing like stopping by to by some connectors thinking 2.56 is the way to go only to come home and find 4.40 is needed.