Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Shorten Antenna length?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Shorten Antenna length?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Trax540
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorten Antenna length?

Im building a 41.5" ws Gee Bee and the Fuse is quite short. Im wondering if its possible to shorten the antenna length from the reciever. Im going to run it through the fuse and out the tail but i didnt want to have 20" of ant. spewing out the back of the plane.

Would it be better to just leave excess wound up inside the Fuse. Or would it be better to stretch it out as far as it goes and splice off abit of the extra.
Which would interfere with the radio signal more? Or would neither be ok and i just have to deal with the extra hanging?

Old 03-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shorten Antenna length?

NEVER cut the RX antenna. NEVER bunch or wrap RX antenna. Consider routing it through a wing, or just let the excess hang out in the breeze.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:20 PM
chashint

If you were talking about an inch or two that would be one thing to debate, but you are talking about half the antenna length.
While this will reduce the range compared to the antenna being straight it is a much better alternative than wrapping, wadding, or cutting the antenna.
The Gee Bee fuselage is big, get yourself a semi-transparent plastic push rod tube, that is about the same diameter as the outer tube of a Golden Rod.
Fit the tube inside of the fuselage allowing it to bend and spiral around the fuselage, you want to use all of the available room without doubling the tube back upon itself.
Don't kink the tube, this will keep the antenna extended and spaced away from itself so it will still be effective.
Place the RX as far forward in the plane as practical, chances are there will still be some antenna extending from thetail of the plane but you should be able to reduce it significantly.
Since this is a relatively small plane if you can still see it good enough to fly it you should still be good with the radio.
Same as any model range check it extensively before you fly it.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:55 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Nooooooooo! Don't do it if you don't have to!!!!!!!!!!! I clipped the ends off of my antenna's before because I damaged the insulation on the end. It worked well, but I only cut a 1/2" inch off at the most. If my damage required more than a 1/2" inch to be cut off... then I would order a new antenna. Your range will decrease enormously if you cut the antenna by half. Don't do it! Run your antenna a few times inside the Fuse away from any metal pushrods, then make sure you have about 4"-6" inches outside the plane.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:41 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Many people shorten their antennas by using the following procedure. I have done this on several pylon planes with complete success and no loss of range as far as I can tell. No such thing as can't shorten an antenna! No matter what the experts here say.

http://www.darrolcady.com/Racing_Inf...ch/Antenna.htm

Old 03-14-2009, 08:11 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider using a whip antenna. They are used in R/C boats, helicopters and jets all the time.

I use the Dean's one piece whip antenna in my planes any time I have a problem fitting the standard antenna wire inside.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As one who has been involved in lots of work on real aircraft and missiles and their range etc. I can guarantee that shorting an antenna will also cause a loss in range. Fortunately, most receivers used in RC are good enough to still allow control over the range you are using them in. Shortening an antenna causes range loss due to loss of "capture area" as well as losses due to change in resonance. Even increasing the gain within the receiver does not compensate for this as the noise level is also increased with the increase in gain, sometimes more so than the signal level. Using inductance (the coils at the base of the antenna) can correct the change in resonance (restore it to what it was before) but does not restore loss of capture area. You will usually lose at least 3DB with such changes which corresponds to a 50% reduction in range if not more as the losses are usually much greater than 3DB.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:47 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Hey, let him cut the antenna... and when he wipes out his plane and busts up his equipment he would have wished he listened to those (so called,) experts.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Trax540

ORIGINAL: LuftwaffeOberst

Hey, let him cut the antenna... and when he wipes out his plane and busts up his equipment he would have wished he listened to those (so called,) experts.
Lol who said i wasnt going to listen? I was just trying to figure out if it was possible. Im not in the habit of purposly throwing my time and money away.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:38 AM
carrellh

I've heard of the "wrap it around a straw or dowel" trick being used for pylon racers. I have no idea how much, if any, this impacts the range. The pylon planes are usually not very far from the transmitter.

I remember a thread from Minnflyer (I think) about flying a new plane, with no issues, and later finding the antenna still coiled and tied as it was when it came out of the box.

The expensive solution is to get a 2.4ghz spread spectrum radio system with the short antenna.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:22 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

It was a comment towards Fancman. Some people just scare me when they write up suggestions. I don't know if it is a lack of experience pretending they do or what?

I'm glad you weigh the suggestions before you make your decisions. I've been here long enough some people take what they want to hear and ignore the rest. Glad you're not one of those people.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Trax540

Well in light of all the feedback i definitly will NOT be shortening the Ant. Gee Bees are already notorious for a death trap i dont need to add fuel to the fire LOL!

I appreciate all the advice

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 PM
mikegordon10

That's a big ten-four to what Fancman says.
We Pylon guys do it all the time. The key here is just how far away you can still see the model to fly it. With 1/2A pylon racers my eyes have a lot more limited range than a full length RX antenna wrapped around a soda straw. Been doing this for over ten years with no problems. You would NOT want to do this to any model that you would be flying at extreme range.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:00 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

And if he decided just to cruise around like I do then what? I don't just fly in circles close by... I like to cruise or go nice and high. Our friend didn't mention he just wants to race it... Gee Bee's are a nice scale flyer that is the most terrible aircraft to land in my book. Leave your antenna long, just spiral it around inside your fuse and have a few inches at the end poking out in the back. That way, if you decide to do other things or fly behind a tree you can without the worry of losing your signal... and walking to the next state to pick up your plane.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:24 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: LuftwaffeOberst

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

That's a big ten-four to what Fancman says.
We Pylon guys do it all the time. The key here is just how far away you can still see the model to fly it. With 1/2A pylon racers my eyes have a lot more limited range than a full length RX antenna wrapped around a soda straw. Been doing this for over ten years with no problems. You would NOT want to do this to any model that you would be flying at extreme range.

And if he decided just to cruise around like I do then what? I don't just fly in circles close by... I like to cruise or go nice and high. Our friend didn't mention he just wants to race it... Gee Bee's are a nice scale flyer that is the most terrible aircraft to land in my book. Leave your antenna long, just spiral it around inside your fuse and have a few inches at the end poking out in the back. That way, if you decide to do other things or fly behind a tree you can without the worry of losing your signal... and walking to the next state to pick up your plane.
Cruising around is just great Mr Expert. I've used this method for years and I don't limit my flying to some imaginary small circle above the flying field. I fly my pylon plane just as far away as I fly any other. Why don't you try it for yourself before you say it won't work? If you have no knowledge or experience at somehting then don't comment on it.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Ram Jet

Have you disabled your PM feature? Anyway I agree.

Bill
Old 03-15-2009, 02:25 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

No... just been talking to R/CKen.

Trax540 let me share what our moderator has shared with me.

R/C Ken

Actually, they way that was described will work. As long as an antenna is wrapped around the rod and doesn't touch itself, or doubleback on itself, it will work with little to no reduction in signal. It's when an antenna is cut or doubled back on itself that the range is reduced. Pylon racers and scale guys have been doing antenna wires like this for many years now.

Ken

The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
AMA # 712539 www.gettingairborne.com
Moderator- Beginner''s, Sport Flying, Off-Topic, & AMA Discussions
RCU Community Moderator
Make sure your antenna doesn't touch or doubleback if you want to do it that way. I usually don't and try to hide my antenna's on my Warbirds. There way works as good as mine. Your choice... have a ball and have fun with the bird, I think it will keep you on your toes.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:41 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The original question has been answered and the OP has several options on how to solve his problem. However, some in this thread seem to be deadset to "win" this dicussion that they will do whatever to do so. We've already had one Moderator that has had to step in and clean up this thread today, and yet these members continue. Because of this I'm closing down this thread.

Thread locked.

Ken