Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dogfighting

Old 05-02-2009, 06:30 PM
toothman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dogfighting

Im a lttle new to nitro planes but i was wondering Why noone has come up with some way to shot thos small paintballs outof a plane? that would make dogfights somuch more interesting. just a thought. and i would like to know wat you think too! thnx
Old 05-02-2009, 06:39 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dogfighting

Having a plane shoot anything is a big no-no. It is against AMA rules and a great way to get the attention of the anti-fun faction.

We've had paint ball shoots during events at our club though where a person with a paintball gun on the ground tries to shoot an airplane. It is a lot of fun.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 PM
stang

Actually it would make it more boring. The chances of hitting anything are so remote that you might as well say it is impossible. Just try cutting another plane's streamer in air combat is very difficult in itself. If you did try and shoot something from a model you realyl don't know where it is going to come down. It is hard enough to keep flying sites in a lot of places, please don't try something that could injure anyone. Enough said on this topic!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:58 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Years ago, a company did make a set of infrared dogfighting units. One unit was called a Sidewinder. The other was called a Maverick. I Sidewinder could only kill a Maverick and a Maverick could only kill a Sidewinder. (so it was possbile to have teams) The infrared cones shot out about 100 feet with a max diameter of about 30 feet. They weighted about an ounce each and ran on one 9 volt battery. When you were hit, your unit stopped working and a small spring loaded door unlatched allowing a 3 foot long red ribbon to flop out indicating a hit. This was back in the late 80's. I think the cost may have had something to do with sales. And you did have to buy two of them, or at least find a buddy to buy one if you bought one.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Unfortunately in todays climate, thats the kind of action that could draw unwanted attention from the FAA, Homeland Security, and the mainstream media.

Aside from being impossible to hit anything, it's really not a good idea.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:47 AM
draftman1

just try regular combat. its a rush
Old 05-03-2009, 10:01 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Build you an HOR from Spad to the Bone plans and chase streamers, it's more fun than the law allows at the flying field. Good Luck, Dave
Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 AM
qldviking

we used the IR system some years ago, both planes had smoke so we used the smoke to signal a hit. Lots of fun with 1.60 sized planes, 1 extra 260 versus 1 edge. Its not as easy as it sounds either
Old 05-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The IR system was and may still be sold. Last time I saw it was a couple years ago installed in little electric planes. When hit you lost all control and your plane went down. Worked OK on these little foamies.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:39 PM
qldviking

wasnt long ago a set was advertised on here. our system was designed to release a streamer, which we midified to operate our smoke, would have been awesome on warbirds lol
Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 PM
toothman

it would be cool if they took the systems they have for the electric challangers and hooked them up to bigger planes. and if they wanted to simulate a hit it would start smoking through a smoke thing that is on your plane. but you would still have to line up the shot and get and acourate shot off. also it would not be as hard as cliping ribbion.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 PM
superflea

it would be much harder than clipping a ribbon. Have you ever watched R/C combat?? those little planes are hard to even keep your eye on. they can cut their own ribbon for crying out loud.. How are you going to line up your shot, and hit the button as fast as you seem to think you will?? with the ribbon cutting all you have to concentrate on is trying to fly behind the other guy, (yeah right, thats ALL you have to do) your prop will cut the ribbon when its time, completely automated that way. literally all you would be doing is randomly mashing the "fire button" Do a search for R/C combat and watch a video that stuff is insane.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 PM
qldviking

having done both I can say straight up chip ribbon is a lot easier, simply because you have a visual reference at all times, with the IR systems you have only the planes to try to line up, which is not as easy as it sounds