Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Stuck carb screws

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Stuck carb screws

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:53 AM
jsesere
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck carb screws

The throtle on my engine is stuck in the closed position due to improper storage. I have soaked it in WD-40 and it still won't budge. I thought I would try to remove the carb but the screws are stripped. Any ideas on getting on solving this issue?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Stuck carb screws

Usually heat will free it up. first try your heat gun you use to shrink covering; heat it as hot as you can get it with the heat gun and usually it will free right up. If that doesn't work, put it in an oven and heat it a bit more using gloves to try to twist it free while it is hot.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 AM
timcat26

I've had a similar situation and I wound up dremmeling and drilling the screw heads out. After that, soak it in sone Nitro fuel, maybe overnight, and begin trying to work it loose. If this doesn't work then I would go to heating it to try and work it out.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Rodney

ORIGINAL: timcat26

I've had a similar situation and I wound up dremmeling and drilling the screw heads out. After that, soak it in sone Nitro fuel, maybe overnight, and begin trying to work it loose. If this doesn't work then I would go to heating it to try and work it out.
Would it not be more sensible to try the heating first. The heat will not damage anything but the dremmeling sure will.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM
timcat26

ORIGINAL: Rodney

ORIGINAL: timcat26

Would it not be more sensible to try the heating first. The heat will not damage anything but the dremmeling sure will.
If the screw heads are already stripped then I don't see how heat would initially help remove them. After they are out would be a different story when working with the rest of the Carb. I've found that a fuel soaking will usually, not always, loosen most stuck partsThe only damage I got from the dremmel was some scratches on the engine case.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

You might try using the Dremel cutting disc to cut a slot in the screw head, heat the thing and then try unscrewing it. If the carb barrel is steel it might be rusted enough to be stuck. I've soked stuck carbs in Evapo-Rust non toxic/fumeless rust remover (available at AutoZone) and loosened them up. Might loosen rusty screws too.

Terry in LP
Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Rodney

You guys are correct, it the problem is rust, heat will not likely help any. If the binding is due to old castor oil based fuel then heat will do the job. Most problems I've ever seen of this nature is due to using a castor oil based fuel that has been allowed to congeal. Nothing against Castor Oil, I still use it in my fuels, you just have to be aware of how it can effect things.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 AM
jsesere
My Feedback: (38)

I tried giving it a bath in penetrating oil with no effect. I will try heat next. Thanks