Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Battery help??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 PM
migkiller175

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery help??

I am trying to recharge a 8 cell 600mA NiCad battery for my transmitter. I'm using an Accu-cycle elite charger. The problem is that I can't get the battery to have a strong voltage. When I test the battery on a voltmeter, the voltage isn't sufficient for it to be safe to use. I think the voltage reads about 4.4v. I tried cycle charging the battery to see if that would improve, but the maximum charge the battery will hold is 80mah. I don't know much about batteries, so much help would be appreciated. Is there anything I can do to retrieve the battery's voltage and the 600 mA it use to hold? Thanks
Old 08-21-2009, 09:17 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Battery help??

If you are setting the charger properly (you most likely are or it probably would give a warning message) then I'd say the battery is history. Sounds like it's a transmitter battery? I wouldn't take a chance; I'd just replace the battery.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 PM
huck1199

Have you tried cycling the pack?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:02 AM
Ed Smith

Using your voltmeter check the individual cells. There are probably some dead cells in the pack. As has already been mentioned, probably best to throw it away. Replace it with NIMH cells. Same physical size, much greater capacity.

Ed S
Old 08-22-2009, 08:11 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is gone. That is what those chargers are for, determining if the pack is good or not. You can get your volt meter and check each cell and see which ones are bad just to confirm the bad ones. Sounds like a pack that has sit a long time without use.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:58 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Nicd and Nimh packs are only good for about 3 years maximum if they are maintained properly. Many do last longer, but the chances of a pack failure go up quite a bit at that point. Toss it and get a new one. They don't cost much as new pulls from Ebay, or get one from all battery or hangtimes.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:18 AM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

sometimes those chargers dont like charging through the TX charge port. if you are doing that, try unpluging the battery charging it that way
Old 08-23-2009, 05:40 AM
jetmech05

there is a diode in most transmitters......that is why you can't cycle a battery through the transmitters charge port.....unplug the battery and hook it directly to the charger before buying a new battery