Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

revovering a profile. Please help

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

revovering a profile. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 AM
karldaschner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default revovering a profile. Please help

Hi guys.

I need to recover my Tmpro .46 size profile Extra 260. Only the fuse was damaged. I ripped all the covering off it and did my repair. Question is:

Do I start on one of the sides, then the other side leaving a bit of an overlap and the iron that to the 15mm top and bottom section, then come with a thin long stip top and bottom to seal up? Or do the thin top and bottom first with straight strips leaving and sealing an overlap to the sides of the fuse. ad then do the sides and just cutting the excess away on the edges?

Another thing is the built up balsa canopy will make it difficult with the overlapping. Do I need to cut a few slits in it around the curve so that I can seal on the edges withoutmaking wrinkles?

Thanks
Karl
Old 10-21-2009, 06:21 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: revovering a profile. Please help

Typically, when covering a fuselage, I do the bottom first, than the sides, then the top last. (at least that's the way I do it )

And around the canopy section...yes, you can cut little slits to help make the covering conform to the curves.

Or...sometimes you can heat/stretch it around...like when covering a wing tip. You just have to leave yourself some extra covering material to grab ahold of and work with, as you pull and heat/seal it down...then trim off the excess.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:10 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: revovering a profile. Please help

I always add 3/8" strips to all of the joints first, then cover.

A while back, we did a "How-To" on re-covering a profile:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=105