Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Servo Horn and Surface Horn configuration, your thoughts please.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo Horn and Surface Horn configuration, your thoughts please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Blackie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Horn and Surface Horn configuration, your thoughts please.

I have a question concerning rod placement on the control horns. Correct me if I am wrong, but positioning the control rod on the servo horn furtherest from the servo and closest to the surface on the surface horn give's the longest throw right? Would it reduce stress on the servo if I reversed the rod position on both ends, moving the rod closest to the servo and furtherest from the control surface on the horn? and would I continue to maintain the same throw by doing so?

Hope that made since.

Thanks
Blackie
Old 07-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Dsegal

> give's the longest throw right? <

Yes, you have it right. I am not an engineer, but either of the configurations you suggest will have to do the same amount of work for a given control surface deflection so I don't see that there is any difference in load on the servo.

Dave Segal
Old 07-08-2003, 01:30 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Out on the servo/ Close to the surface gives more throw, but the surface has the mechanical advantage and can cause the surface to flutter.

If reversed.. In on the servo/out on the surface now the surface won't move as far and the servo has the advantage. This is a much stronger setup, but at the cost of surface throw.

This is the paradox of getting large control throws without flutter. What it boils down to is for the large surface movements, you need strong servos so you can move the connection out to the end of the servo arm, even run very large servo horns so you don't have to hook the linkage very close to the surface, and very slop-free linkage so you eliminate any slop that can develop into flutter.