Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Everyone has problems with the wife

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Everyone has problems with the wife

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:00 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Everyone has problems with the wife

I've got the best wife in the world! Good looking, smart, educated and very supportive of my hobby.

Recently I made the mistake of actually going through my collection of glow motors and cataloging them. When I counted almost 100 engines I realized that I may have an addiction problem. I went to my wife and confessed my addiction to her saying that I have many more than I need and I may have a problem with engines.

She replied by saying "Honey you can't ever have enough engines!".

I love this woman!

Been married for 24 years and we are still on our honeymoon.

I feel sorry for those of you who aren't as lucky.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TSHARK203

I just had to post this because I thought it was funny. I was watching Keeping up with the Kardashians and even Bruce Jenner ''who I am sure has the money'' has to beg for money, from his wife to buy his hobby products for his rc heli addiction. He went to his daughter and asked her for cash to buy and new heli so that his wife would not see the check or charge on the card. So I guess it doesn't matter how much money you have - no wife likes this hobby.....lol
That show is fake...
Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything on TV is fake if you get right down to it. There is no such thing as "reality" once a camera is on someone.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 PM
skyking2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The key is to have so many planes they don't notice a new one I THOUGHT!!! Last week my wife came into my what I call my hanger which is a storage and build shop to get the credit card for guess what A SHOE Sale when she asked when I got the new plane which is a Kadet Senior I had been building on and off for 3 months I said what new plane? as she walked out the door she looked back and said THE ONE THAT ALL THE COVERING MATCHES UP ON. Hey I didnt say I had not crashed a plane or two but she caught on pretty Quick.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
F82FAN
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: tlojak38

hello everyone. brand new to the site, and to plane building. When I saw this string, i had to comment!! just got my first one for christmas. building a spitfire. got the kit, and now i have to get all the guts. well, my wife saw me pricing everything out, and FREAKED OUT!!! i told her i was going to do this as inexpensively as possible, since im going to crash it anyway,(or so ive been told), not good enough. ive loved rc planes since i saw my father fly, and crash one when i was 5. never had the patience, or money to do one till now,(im 40). i just hope that she understands i really want to do this. she has with just about everything else ive put her through! any thoughts on how to ''help'' her understan? thanks
Spend some money on a Flight Simulator.
Best $$$ one could EVER spend in this great hobby.
You can even let her "fly" it to get the hang of why you like it so much!
Good luck.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 AM
fly4food18
My Feedback: (15)

My wife does not like the hobby. I have been flying RC planes since is was in 3rd grade (19 years ago). One of our early dates was to the flying field. Many of our other dates where to the hockey game which i flew a 13ft RC blimp arround durring intermition. Durring our dating I was very open about how much i spent on the hobby trying to keep her from being supprised. But now 4 years in to marrage she complains. I work with airplanes(I am a commercial pilot), i read airplanes, I talk airplanes. We had our wedding recption in the hanger where i work. When we where cutting our wedding cake an RV6 took off and i stopped cutting the cake to look at the plane taking off. (still haven't lived that down). Then we flew to our honeymoon. Our daughter's middle name is Skye.

The other day she came out to the shop and she asked me "are you going to do airplanes for the rest of your life?" I thought she was joking so i laughed, Bad idea to laugh. She has also asked me if it will ever get any cheeper. I thought she was joking so i laughed, Bad idea to laugh at that too.

I remimded her that for me airplanes arent something I do. It's a way of life, but she will be my life.

I'll keep her. She has really helped me ballance my time from planes to family.
And we control my addiction with the money I can spend. It's working.

Take a look at our christmas card picture, It was my idea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45607.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1350469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21981.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1350470  
Old 01-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Mode One

My wife has never been anything other then supportive of my hobby! She helps out at events and is friends with the other wives in the club. She feels (and I agree with her) that my duties as a father and husband need to come first!

However, I am myopic in my enjoyment of and what I like to spend money on with my hobbies and she needs to occasionally explain to me which side my bread is buttered on! This is marriage and for 36 years, keeping these things in mind has made marriage work for both of us. So, temper your boyish enthusiasm with just a little maturity and it will put you in good stead with the better half!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Yeh, my wife said, "It's either me or all those airplanes!!"......I'm sure going to miss the little woman!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 AM
lez1troubles

Dito that.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:21 AM
airborne2.4

Wow, some of you guys really have a wife who support you in this thing.......one of these days I'll be able to say the same.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

My wife is definately supportive; she even got me a gift certificate for my LHS the year for xmas (used it to buy my Parkone Micro Mustang). But it's a two way street. One thing that would bug her is if I were to spend all weekend out at the field, every weekend. If you've heard the term "golf widow," then "R/C widow" would make sense. So I haven't touched my gas stuff in ages, and fly mainly electric at the field next door. I showed her this thread, and she believes there has to be another side to the story in the cases where the hobby has caused marital problems. She says the guy is "probably screwing around playing with his toys all the time and not doing any of the things that need to be done around the house." If that's true, then yeah, I can see why she'd be p*$$ed about it.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:41 AM
slopoke
My Feedback: (16)

The owner of my LHS is thinking about putting a jewelry store next door.
I think i see a problem here.

slopoke
Old 01-06-2010, 12:11 PM
fordclubr

Go by the slogan "it's easier to get forgiveness than permission" and "shop till you drop." Have Fun!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 PM
p51drb

gotta good one!! doesn't mind what i spend on boats,planes, cars.it makes it very tempting to go wild but with one in pharmacy school now that may come to an end!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: p51drb

gotta good one!! doesn't mind what i spend on boats,planes, cars.it makes it very tempting to go wild but with one in pharmacy school now that may come to an end!!!!

Where are they going, Campbell?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:42 PM
blank916

Funny thread....thankfully my wife loves the damn thing. She still doesn't get why we can't just use one of the ones from toys r us.....but she never gives me a hard time about playing with the thing or buying parts.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 PM
airborne2.4

I don't see what the big deal is.......we are only FLYING RC PLANES and enjoying A HOBBY.......we're not bothering anyone or getting in trouble and who doesn't need to get out of the house on a sunday afternoon.....we all need some downtime.....something to get your mind off your work!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hah! Read'em and weep, boys. I never married and can do whatever in the heck I want! I just bought a whole boatload of stuff from Mick Reeves. So much stuff that my bank called to make sure it wasn't a fraudulent charge! I love airplanes, like homemade beer and tolerate women!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 PM
farr301

I'm still a minor and i have issues with rc and women!

It's hard to get a girlfriend to accept my rc because they think its nerdy and dont like seeing all the planes i have scattered around upstairs and on my bench. I just tell them its something i like to do. but the constant bugging about it at high school does get annoying ://// (Only one girl that i'm friends with shows interest in it)

oh well. i'm addicted!!! And i'm interested in an aerospace related job so its all worth it.

Jake
Old 01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: farr301

I'm still a minor and i have issues with rc and women!

It's hard to get a girlfriend to accept my rc because they think its nerdy and dont like seeing all the planes i have scattered around upstairs and on my bench. I just tell them its something i like to do. but the constant bugging about it at high school does get annoying ://// (Only one girl that i'm friends with shows interest in it)

oh well. i'm addicted!!! And i'm interested in an aerospace related job so its all worth it.

Jake
Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, even women (although that's not always easy to do). Most "normal" people are actually very screwed up if you really look at their lives and what they do to themselves and others so "normal" or cool isn't always the best thing to be. Do what you enjoy so long as it is positive and not self-destructive. If a girl can't accept you for exactly who you are, you don't want her around anyhow; she'll just make you miserable.

It's like the smart kid in school. Everyone picks on them out of jealousy or whatever but as an adult, he/she is the one with the good job and all the money & power. It all comes around.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Obee

I'm feeling pretty fortunate too. My wife is a photography enthusiast and has a pretty good investment in camera gear. that give me a minimal leverage , cameras don't normally crash and need replacement. She does come out when the weather is good and photographs the clubs fly ins and other events, she some times gets some embarrassing shots of crashes or other flubs. then the members enjoy the pics, even if it was a crash.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73756.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1350976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92111.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1350977  
Old 01-06-2010, 10:27 PM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

you guys crack me up! guess we have both sides of the fence here.  i just hope my wife understands why i want to do this. i have several hobbies that she puts up with, this is just the newest one, and i think she thinks this will take up the rest of my time so there is none left for her. but i have plenty of time. because the time i spend on the others is much less, except for fly fishing. that takes some time. but they are all going on in spring and summer. i have fall and winter for her. isnt that enough! lol.  i see it this way, i have my hobbies, and she has her purse fettish! how many of you would be understanding if your wife came home with a $400 purse?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

My wife is pretty good about my planes.... she even got me a gift card for Xmas because i told her i really wanted the new A9. She even went together with my father inlaw so the card just about covers the full cost... the only time she gets upset is when i start to focus on my planes to the exlusion of her and the kids... and i freely admit i can do that sometimes. I get tunnel vision when i'm working on a plane and lose track of time. As long as i keep that in check its all good.

Geoff
Old 01-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Fs one

No problem with my wife actually she got me into the hobby.She is great!

Norm
Old 01-11-2010, 03:18 PM
TBONE6

ORIGINAL: tlojak38

you guys crack me up! guess wehave both sides of the fence here. i just hope my wife understands why i want to do this. i have several hobbies that she puts up with, this is just the newest one, and i think she thinks this will take up the rest of my time so there is none left for her. but i have plenty of time. because the time i spend on the others is much less, except for fly fishing. that takes some time. but they are all going on in spring and summer. i have fall and winter for her. isnt that enough! lol. i see it this way, i have my hobbies, and she has her purse fettish! how many of you would be understanding if your wife came home with a $400 purse?
to me that's just like permission/justification for me to buy more stuff!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.