Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tiger 2 Canopy

Old 03-12-2010, 09:32 PM
BoiseBee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 2 Canopy

I'm trying to locate a canopy, new or used for my Tiger 2. It is a kit plane but I imagine the canopy from an ARF would be the same. Does anyone know how I might find one?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Ernie P.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tiger 2 Canopy

I got mine through Tower Hobbies. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:53 AM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

You're two weeks to late, I just sent the one I had to a guy in Georgia.

The canopy is listed on the Great Planes website as part number 1585. But their list price is $25.99... for that much, you might think about making up some kind of foam mold in the shape of the canopy and then vacuum form a piece of mylar or an empty soda bottle over it.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:15 AM
BoiseBee

FallDown:
That's a great idea! I have been thinking how I would make one - if I can't find the real thing (I'm not paying $26 for a canopy when I paid $75 for the kit). I will glass with .5 oz cloth, prime and paint. I still have the plans (built kit 15 years ago).

Steve
Old 03-13-2010, 11:29 AM
FallDownGoBoom

You could build a mold, and glass/prime/paint it as you suggest. It'd probably look pretty neat if you did some kind of gloss black/charcoal gray finish, even if it's not transparent.

Doing the mold should be pretty easy for a Tiger canopy... the sides and top are flat, and then it just slopes forward into the fuselage. I'd get a couple of big pieces of foam insulation and cut/sand them to shape. If you wanted a transparent canopy, you might be able to just melt a piece of clear plastic over the mold in the oven... but I'd keep the temp low!

Hopefully somebody's got one sitting around.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:13 AM
K-Bob

Texas RCmakes a darn near carbon copy of the Tiger 2. I bet the canopy would be a good fit.