Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:55 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

I have to laught at some of these post , I dont think the problem is that the young man is 15 , the problem is in the nature of the RC person in general (should I say some ) lol.

Come on , you have all been there , it does not matter how old you are , you have club members young and old that know it all , will judge all , and have more drama in them then a bunch of women sipping tea !!!
I am very lucky , I either fly alone or with a bunch of nonjudgemental guys just having fun . From the high tech guys to the low tech guys , we all go out and actually enjoy what anyone brings to the field. If we had a 15 year come up we would help him first , make sure any new member/flyer can handle the field and plane just like any person at any age .
Then if proven , we would let him fly .
Bill Gates was programing in 8th grade more the any professor in College , you know why ??? simple just because he was given the opportunity to do so .
As a matter of fact , those of you who simply classify skills , maturity ect , should read the book Outliers , very interesting lession in talent and how many hours it takes to really be a expert at something .
In Isreal they train 15 year old kids to handle automatic weapons , everyone of them is trained to do so , why ??? because they need to do so for survival .

The same kid that your so worried about crashing a plane at 15 and hurting someone will be the olds of less then 1% , but that same kid may get killed by a drunk drive that is of age and that % would startle you .
so remember , you taking the skill needed to the level of MBA lol , yes we know you need the skill , yes we know you need practice , but is that not what experience and age can do with a young man who aspires to overachieve in this hobby ?

Again , the hockey moms I have met in my life would laught at this thread , they do nothing but try to move there boys up into zone of total uncomfort , and the first one at risk of injury is the player himself , so the risk is even greater .

we should not put up walls when age on either end of the spectrum arrives at the field , if we do then in reality do walls of race , income and how much you spend on your plane exist as well but you fear those discussions ?

show me a good looking women who shows at on RCU or at the field with the same challenge "I want to fly big warbirds " I would show you 40 rc dogs lined up to help her even if she has not mastered a trainer- that my friend is reality in RC , i have seen in threads at the fields and at many outings .

remember its a hobby , dont take me too seriuos and do the same
Old 06-12-2010, 09:11 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thats not true about the good looking lady thing you said! I would not help her till after our 2nd maybe even 3rd date!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:16 PM
LDM

lol, good one Hairy , third date or third base
Old 06-12-2010, 09:21 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Yea thats what I ment! hey good post though! I do know what you are saying about a good looking lady showing up! Thats what we call crash time!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

Well I want to be a fighter pilot when I'm older, the air force says I have the eyes, but I'm way to tall. I'm 6 feet 4 inches tall.[img][/img]

Thats right, Rock on Ken! Way to save the thread that went the wrong way.

Better get another eye test. The fuselage star is upside-down on your AT-6. Or maybe that knowledge comes with age.

Then again, I know someone who painted the registration numbers upside-down on his boat's dinghy as it was on saw-horses upside down on the hard.

Low wings are buggers to work on in the shop.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:52 AM
LargeScale88

Yeah after I put it on I saw that. Then I tried to peel it, and it was coming off with some of the paint, so I said the heck with it, noone will notice, but I think someone just did. I've put alot of those things on, maybe I was just tired when I put that one on.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:28 AM
aerofly0610

The overall maturity and selflessness of Americans has been in decline for decades now.  Rise of childishness into adulthood and narcissistic behavior abounds.   Could this be the problem that follows onto the flight line?  Is it more of an ineptness of the mind to accept things outside of the status quo?  Can this conflict be from wounded pride that someone else can do better?  Is it a simple innate nature of a hormonal youth to question those higher on the social ladder?  Indeed the battle of the elderly versus the young is a very complex creature.  You could spend a life time unlocking its mysteries.....

The only way for a boy to become a man is for him to be expected to be a man. He has boundaries placed and consequences on the outskirts of those boundaries.   A boy that is willing to learn from his mistakes is on a path to manhood.  You cannot protect the boy from his mistakes and expect him to become a man, for to do this is to hate the man he is to become.  Embrace his life and use the knowledge you have gained from your own life to help him grow.  The boy must respect the gift of knowledge he is given.  He too must embrace your life and the knowledge passed on to him.  When this cycle stops from childish ways or closed minds, the passing of knowledge stops.  The old is forgotten and the young soured. 

My club is both old and young, male and female, and all colors and creeds.  We celebrate the love of aviation together.  We help each other when in need.  Our leaders are open to new things and new people.  The experienced relish in passing on to the inexperienced.  Sure we have our soured spirits, but why let that destroy what has been built?  Go enjoy the skies and each other!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:41 AM
LDM

I agree , you can protect a boy or a girl if you want to challenge them or they want to be challenge to achieve .Some are not ready and you will be able to see it .
I would to give you an interesting example . I coach 18AAA Hockey . We look and will pull player from 16AAA . However we will rarely look at players from 16AAA that approach us .
TYpically when a player is looked to move up he will benifit the team as well as have an great opportunity to play at a higher level (earlier ) and have more opportunity to be looked at in high level national tournaments . WHen some players at 16AAA approach us , the discussion is all about me me me , not what they can do for the team .

With a young rc pilot at 14 thru 17 , while they may sound like its all about them because its more of a single person sport , you as a club member should look at the team aspect .
Example , can this pilot if accomplised bring other youth into the club ? What accountablity could you ask him to take as a young accomplished pilot in the club ?

Again its about how you look at things , it should never be about age .
If you want authoritty over anything in life including a 86" warbird , then you take the accountablity of that authority . With that you can get some pretty cool results and open the club to some new fresh faces
Old 06-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Well I want to be a fighter pilot when I'm older, the air force says I have the eyes, but I'm way to tall. I'm 6 feet 4 inches tall.[img][/img]

Thats right, Rock on Ken! Way to save the thread that went the wrong way.

Better get another eye test. The fuselage star is upside-down on your AT-6. Or maybe that knowledge comes with age.

Then again, I know someone who painted the registration numbers upside-down on his boat's dinghy as it was on saw-horses upside down on the hard.

Low wings are buggers to work on in the shop.

[sm=lol.gif] Bad Charlie! [sm=lol.gif]

Spray Windex on the insignia until it is soaking wet. Use a safety razor and carefully pry off the decal until you can get a grip with your fingers. While you are prying keep spraying. Once you have the insignia off, re-apply with the windex already on and position it where you want it. Press out the bubbles and windex with a stiff soft piece of cardboard. Shoe box cardboard is best. IMHO

But I suspect you already knew that.

Pete
Old 06-13-2010, 11:48 AM
3Dillon

Ya i know it can be stressful sometimes.

But dont tell them that u r so good at flying and just let them find out them selfs...
Prove to them what u can do,SAFLEY...
Mabey post a video on this form page and show us all.

Good Luck,,,

3Dillon
Old 06-13-2010, 12:01 PM
LTV_A7D
My Feedback: (2)

All the people who play with these toys have the maturity of a 15 year old, so you're right in the ball park.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:14 PM
LargeScale88

Thanks for telling me about the windex method. I never knew that, so I will give it a shot. Will the adhesive still be on the star?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Lnewqban

Wouldn't be easier just to patch an identical full insignia over this one?

See what you did, Charlie?[sm=lol.gif]
Old 06-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Live Wire

Look at the Stang Star
Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Deleted
Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Oberst
Banned

Thanks for telling me about the windex method. I never knew that, so I will give it a shot. Will the adhesive still be on the star?
It helps protect the glue and it prevents the decal from re-sticking if you slip with your fingers. Because the paint is wanting to come off, apply heat to the decal with a regular hair dryer while slowly pulling the decal off. Don't use a heat gun, heat guns can be way hotter than a hair dryer and you could damage the insignia. When I do it this way the hair dyer gives me more control.

It's a little tricky, but I've re-used decals on my wheel pants when I semi-destroyed some wheel pants on my Extra 260 last year when I had a "Dead Stick" and landed in tall grass.

Instead of re-building the fiberglass pants, I decided to just buy a replacement pair and switch over the decals. So far it's still holding up a year later.

Give it a shot, and mention it to your grandfather that the heat will loosen or soften the glue on the decal. Now if you destroy the insignia's, don't worry. The insignia's can be replaced and your paint will be un-harmed.

Pete
Old 06-14-2010, 06:53 AM
LargeScale88

Thanks Pete.I will for sure give it a try next time I get down in the shop.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: oldvet70

Come on guys he's just a 15 year old kid. He may think he knows everything now but he'll change his tune in a few years. I mean he has gone on at some length about all the planes he has built but if you check his earlier posts it appears his Grand Father (quite possibly an old guy) has really built them. .........................[sm=thumbs_down.gif]
No need for that comment, even if each statement would be accurate, IMHO.

This hobby doesn't need substraction and division; only addition and multiplication will help it survive and grow.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:56 AM
LargeScale88

The comment wasn't accurate. HesHELPED me build them, as in, if I needed help or I didn't know somethin, I went to him.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: LNEWQBAN

ORIGINAL: oldvet70

Come on guys he's just a 15 year old kid. He may think he knows everything now but he'll change his tune in a few years. I mean he has gone on at some length about all the planes he has built but if you check his earlier posts it appears his Grand Father (quite possibly an old guy) has really built them. .........................[sm=thumbs_down.gif]
No need for that comment, even if each statement would be accurate, IMHO.

This hobby doesn't need substraction and division; only addition and multiplication will help it survive and grow.

I so much agree to that opinion. There's a right way and a wrong way of going about suggesting things to youth, teen or people in general who have a question. Even when I think a person should know, I have to remain patient, and think back when I was brand new to this fantastic hobby. It was people who were patient with me, and let me learn the hard way that tought me so much, even when I thought I knew more than they did, and deep down thought I was a better flyer and builder.

You know what happened as a result?

I no longer think that I'm an expert in anything, flying or building. Matter in fact I'm finding myself to be a little bit dumber and asking the "Old Timers" any question just in case they might know a trick to make things easier. I'm quick to ask without fear and I always try their suggestions.

I'll give you an example:

Yesterday I went to fly my Custom Hanger 9 Fokker DVII ARF and I was trying to hand start it. I've always had a problem starting the plane by hand, so I got a little peeved and I brought out my hand held starter.

Because it has no nose cone and only a bolt and washer holding the prop, I was having a terrible time keeping the hand held starter from damaging anything, and I couldn't keep the starter on the prop or bolt.

One "Old Timer" came up behind me and said, " Why don't you take the rubber end of your starter, take it out and flip it around. It might help? " I said " Hey, I think that's a great Idea, I didn't know that there was a better solution. " He winked at me and walked away.

I did what he suggested and THE GATES OF HEAVEN OPENED UP AND THE ENGINE STARTED UP IMMEDIATELY WITH THE ELECTRIC HAND HELD STARTER!

I've been flying for about 8 years and I just learned a neat trick from a "Old Timer," even thogh I didn't know to ask. Now I can start any plane that doesn't have a nose cone with a hand held electric starter!

It's my experience that I can learn more from the "Old Timers" than I can from beginners, or people that haven't been in this hobby for very long. It doesn't mean I don't listen to them. Some have good idea's that they've learned from someone else.

After a while we all have to let go and let God. (Higher Power) Sometimes the best students attend the School of Hard Knocks, and I have to let them graduate on there own, like I did.

Pete
Old 06-14-2010, 10:33 AM
LargeScale88

Electric starters do help a little.

I've never had a problem learning and getting advice from the older folks in the club. A few days ago I was flying, and I came in a bit hot on the landing, and an older timer came up and said, "thats a lighter airplane(sig four star 60) so maybe try pulling the throttle back earlier" So I said ok, and what the heck, my landings were nice, smooth, gentle, and I didn't have to pick it up out of the grass. I'm always open to advice, and to learn somethin especially if it has to do with how the airplane is gonna fly and I really don't know what the heck is going on.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:12 PM
heavy metal thunder

I've been flying for over 38 years all I can tell you IF you can pit manage and fly a large scale aircraft safely then by all means go ahead a do. I'll be proud of you. With all of my years of experience in pattern, large scale, high performance planes, gliders, testing proto-types, scratching building, and instructing, I've learned early on to fly to fly what I like. Some of my 25 year old planes look a bit shabby (they have good radio equipment and are safe to fly), as a matter of fact some of the guys call my planes cartoon airplanes. They do like to poke at some of my old planes, but they have never made fun of my flying skill. So, while they are crashing their foam EDF planes all around me, I'll sit in my lawn chair and fly what I like.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:59 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

When my girl was 11 years old, this was her first kit build, a Guillows Cessna. That's how I started in 1972 with my dad helping me along. It helps anyone understand what they're flying and how to enhance the build to suit what they want to do with it.
I don't trust ARFs anymore, too many failures lately, inadequate glue is the primary problem, or some weird thin ply that nothing really sticks to it like balsa? If we get stuck or want some tips, this forums hold more tips and tricks than you'll ever find on your own.
Her favorite is an Astro Hog.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28037.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1472958  
Old 07-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: rambler53

When my girl was 11 years old, this was her first kit build, a Guillows Cessna. That's how I started in 1972 with my dad helping me along. It helps anyone understand what they're flying and how to enhance the build to suit what they want to do with it.
I don't trust ARFs anymore, too many failures lately, inadequate glue is the primary problem, or some weird thin ply that nothing really sticks to it like balsa? If we get stuck or want some tips, this forums hold more tips and tricks than you'll ever find on your own.
Her favorite is an Astro Hog.

GOOD FOR HER! I hope my son will get interested in this hobby as well one day, but he's only 2 years of age. He gets fascinated when I fly my E-flite mcx helo around him so that's a start I guess. You mentioned you don't really trust ARFs anymore?

I don't blame you. I wouldn't put it past China if they purpously sent us defected stuff so we keep buying from them because the stuff keeps breaking or falling apart. I've taken apart my Great Planes .60 discontinued Fokker DR1 and found a brace just barely sitting in the far end of the fuse, unseen unless you took the covering off like I did. It was held by one small drop of hot glue, and the other end had no glue at all! [:@]

And if you look at the covering of most ARF's, there's never enough overlap on the edges. If I'm not careful, chasing the wrinkle could make it pull off the edge of the wing etc. It's JMHO that when I build kits or rebuild ARFs I find that I'm in control of its quality. They just don't apply the Mono or Ultra correctly.

It's funny, my first kit when I was 12 was the Guillows P-40, then it was the Cub and Corsair. Man did I get high off the dope! [X(]

Pete
Old 08-03-2010, 04:29 PM
at101

Where I live I can't find a club within 50 miles of me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.