Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:53 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?

Unless he started building at 5 this 8 year old may be older then most of us! 44 years of building????
Old 06-11-2010, 01:01 PM
luvtoav8

ORIGINAL: hairy46

These kids that knock what they call old geezers would not last at our field, We have some great older guys that fly and are just one big happy RC family! We here would not allow a boy to talk to those we think so much of! We respect our elders here! I know you know so much more then all the elders in your club, but maybe just maybe after all the years they have spent on this earth there just may be something you could learn from them! MAYBE?
Great for you that your club is "one big happy RC family". Some clubs are great big DYSFUNCTIONAL RC families. I have had fogeys come to my van when I was working on my plane and say "It smells like rope burning over here, are you kids smoking marijuana" as if anybody in their right mind would make some pubic declaration if they were. I con't have anyting personally against any geezers but I just want them to leave us alone and let us enjoy the hobby in our own way. What goes on in anybody's van is private business. I don't mess with anybody else's stuff and con't apreciate being treated that way.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:17 PM
hairy46

Respect, respect, respect that is a word that we learned growing up! You seem to think it is all about me, me, me its not! Its about treating people with respect! I am sure if you did you would see more respect torward you! Calling these guys geezers just does not sound like you are trying to get along! At our field we all fly what our skill level is! And its OK! We have one guy 83 years old most the time he just watches but now and then he will get out a high wing 25 sized plane and fly! You will be old one day is this the way you wish to be treated? Treat folks the way you want to be treated and see if just maybe its your problem and not theirs!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:17 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: luvtoav8

Great for you that your club is "one big happy RC family". Some clubs are great big DYSFUNCTIONAL RC families. I have had fogeys come to my van when I was working on my plane and say "It smells like rope burning over here, are you kids smoking marijuana" as if anybody in their right mind would make some pubic declaration if they were. I con't have anyting personally against any geezers but I just want them to leave us alone and let us enjoy the hobby in our own way. What goes on in anybody's van is private business. I don't mess with anybody else's stuff and con't apreciate being treated that way.
[/quote]
-
You know I'm a child of the 60's and learned long ago that self medication by smoking "Herbal Products" is not only bad for you but also illegal even in your Van. It's risks seizure ofthe property you park yourVan on. Now I don't know what your doing in your Van but given how defensive you seem to be about it I imagine the fogeys have their suspicions. Remember drugs cause people to become Dysfunctional and we wouldn't want that. Plus it will eat up your budget for RC. I mean the munchies alone could blow your fuel budget. Just a few random thoughts from the 60's.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:25 PM
hairy46

Drinking is not allowed at our field and drugs will get you banned for life!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:28 PM
LargeScale88

What caught my mind was talking about smoking pot in van. Now, if your smoking pot, and flying an airplane, doesn't seem like a good combination. I attend a private highschool, and plenty of kids at the school are those types of people, they have nothing better to do after school, weekends, during summer, ect, but smoke that crap. While I'm sitting in my basement gluing an airplane together!

So If you been building for 44 years, and flying for 24, it took you a long time to build your first kit, unless you built for fun, but I thought you said mid 20s?

I to have a senior telemaster. Saito 91. I can post pictures when i get home from my grandpas.

I think with the older flyers (not geezers) they think well, i've been doing this for so many years, i can do anything in this hobby. Just like someone said, he almost lost his cessna 310 because an older flyer could barely land his trainer!!!!!!

I would say my club is one big happy flying family, except when you get the couple of members who think young kids are in training mode, and talk to you like you don't know the difference between the wing and fuselage!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 PM
oldvet70

Same at our field, although we did find an "Herb Garden" growing in the woods on our site about 7 years ago. A small fire by the local Law fixed that issue though.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:36 PM
hairy46

Thats funny! Probably found it when looking for an airplane! real smart guys that put that crap that close to an RC field when RC planes crash and people do look for them! Our field has no tree's or anywhere they could hide that, But we do have sagebrush lots and lots of sagebrush and that is really hard on covering when landing in the wrong place!
Old 06-11-2010, 02:44 PM
oldvet70

You guessed it. A plane crashed right next to their camouflaged tent. Problem for them was the plane belonged to one of the local Gendarmes and he took great offense at the growing of unwanted agricultural products in our flying site. Needless to say they have never returned.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 PM
LargeScale88

Your lucky your field has no trees. My field, if you don't fly high enough, you better be able to climb a tree.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:06 PM
hairy46

Yes tree's are not our problem a dead stick is a scare because you are trying to get it back to the pavement and not have the sagebrush eat it! The plane came right down by thier tent! Now that is funny!
Old 06-11-2010, 03:26 PM
luvtoav8

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

I think with the older flyers (not geezers) they think well, i've been doing this for so many years, i can do anything in this hobby. Just like someone said, he almost lost his cessna 310 because an older flyer could barely land his trainer!!!!!!

I would say my club is one big happy flying family, except when you get the couple of members who think young kids are in training mode, and talk to you like you don't know the difference between the wing and fuselage!!!
your post is a good opportunity to direct my replies more to the topic of this thread i.e. "Does age have to do with what airplanes you fly?". This can be considered from the other point of view as well. Should an old geezer be flying a high performance airplane when specatators or other flyers are at the field? It's just a fact that as folks get older the reflexes slow, the eyesight goes, there is a greater chance of heart attack or a stroke. If safety is supposed to be such a high priority, should someone say, over 45 or 50, be flying high performance planes on a buddy-box with younger pilot there to flip the switch and take over if he loses it for some reason? You could make exceptions of course if they are flying a sailplane or rubber-powered model, but I think any model of substantial power or weight should require a younger stand-by pilot. Questions like this need to be addressed as we recruit younger rc pilots into decision making capacities in rc clubs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99700.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1451539  
Old 06-11-2010, 03:58 PM
hairy46

My biggest worry is not the older folks flying and having strokes but the younger pilots being all hoped up on something! It should be us that buddy box with you just in case you are hallucinating!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:21 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, I have had to step in here as this thread has gotten a little bit out of hand as several of you just seem to not be able to get along. I've cleaned out a huge chunk of posts from this thread and I don't want to see this type of argument in here again.

As a word of advice to several in this thread complaining about being disrespected and put down on by older people. I have watched this thread from the beginning and I have found one thing that I see may be a cause of a lot of your problems. As a father of 2 older boys (18 and 20) and somebody that teaches A LOT of younger people at our field I see this happen all the time. You complain that you are looked down upon because of you are young, but that's not the root of the problem. If you want to get respect you have to give respect. Coming in here and referring to people that are older than you as geezers, old farts, old fogeys, and a number of other insults shows a lack of respect for others that you don't agree with. Whether you want to believe it or not that lack of respect you show in here more than likely translates into how you act and treat those you meet in person, and that lack of respect will get you a lack of respect in return. I have been around this hobby for awhile now, and I see A LOT of different flying arenas as I cover events for RCU, and for the most part I can tell you that the largest majority of people that are "older" love having younger people around. I know that there are a few older guys that don't feel this way, but I can assure you that they are in the minority. However, nobody of any age wants to have kids around that are insulting and disrespectful to others at the field. That's just plain old human nature.

As far as flying skills goes, age usually has nothing to do with it. I've watched 6 year old Justin Chi compete in XFC with others that are much older. But for those in here that want to claim that "older people" shouldn't be on the sticks of advanced planes I will challenge whoever is saying that to pick up a radio and try to keep up with Bob Violett flying one of his jets. He's got eyesight that many young kids don't have, and can pilot a jet at 150 mph without batting an eye. So you see age has nothing to do with it.

So, with that being said I will remind this thread that everybody had better get along. Because if I see the same childish insults being used in here again I'm going to stick those using them in the corner for a little time out. This is not the proper place to act like this.

Ken
Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Rock on Ken!

I'm in the bottom 25% in my club at 34 years old, and have really had a great time with the geezers. I've respected every one of them, even the crotchety ones who use fowl language and smoke near glow fuel. One of them even trained me during his flying time early on for about 2 months instead of flying the planes that he brought to the field because I asked with respect and was patient and didn't push for my schedule. I've been helped, instructed, given things, turned on to deals, given a duty in the club, and generally welcomed and accepted by all of them. And I've seen punks show up and not get the time of day from any of them. So from one slightly older young guy to the others, show some respect and let the experienced people teach you. You may have lightning fast reflexes to recover from your goofs, but the old guys know how to avoid the goofs and fly gracefully. I'll take their skills over yours (and mine) any day.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:21 AM
helicub81

Well, i know old people don't have the reflexes and dexterity to fly helicopters. Not sure about planes... they're not as hard to fly
Old 06-12-2010, 03:57 AM
Tarasdad

Over the years I've run into young punks with massive egos, as well as old punks with the same infliction. Neither is all that uncommon, unfortunately. Usually neither is teachable, nor do they have anything to teach that I really want to learn. It's sad, because each probably has something the other could use.

My view is that no matter your age you should always treat each other with respect. "Do unto others"comes to mind here. I fully realize that there are folks out there with far more experience than I have and from whom I can learn a great deal. Those folks may be older than I am, but they also may be younger. I'm willing to learn from either. If I can teach them something I will do my best to do so, no matter their age. I can't help it, it's how I was raised.

Oh, and don't count us "old" folks out when it comes to heli flying. You just might find that skill counts for more than reflexes and dexterity combined...
Old 06-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Geezer1
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad

Over the years I've run into young punks with massive egos, as well as old punks with the same infliction. Neither is all that uncommon, unfortunately. Usually neither is teachable, nor do they have anything to teach that I really want to learn. It's sad, because each probably has something the other could use.

My view is that no matter your age you should always treat each other with respect. "Do unto others"comes to mind here. I fully realize that there are folks out there with far more experience than I have and from whom I can learn a great deal. Those folks may be older than I am, but they also may be younger. I'm willing to learn from either. If I can teach them something I will do my best to do so, no matter their age. I can't help it, it's how I was raised.

Oh, and don't count us "old" folks out when it comes to heli flying. You just might find that skill counts for more than reflexes and dexterity combined...
I seems to me the youth we are seeing come to the flying field today are a different breed of cat from what we had in the 60's and 70's. The kids back then had usually progressed from hand launched gliders, rubber power, free flight, control line to RC. Now all they do is get on a simulator and then their mom or dad buys them an ARF warbird and they come and burn up the sky. They lack respect for the older flyers because technology has made things so easy for them that they don't appreciate the effort the senior pilots put into RC. I offered help to a kid once at the field and the response was "No thanks grandpa, I don't need to learn how to crash" Another of my flying buddies had someone jam a piece of wooden dowel into the latch of the porta-john when he was in there and had to call his wife on the cell phone to have her let him out. The only other people at the field at that time he went into it were some punks who had of course left by them.

ARF's, cheap radios, and MTV are going to spell the end of the hobby as we know it.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Pete737

ORIGINAL: Geezer1

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad

My view is that no matter your age you should always treat each other with respect. ''Do unto others'' comes to mind here. I fully realize that there are folks out there with far more experience than I have and from whom I can learn a great deal. Those folks may be older than I am, but they also may be younger. I'm willing to learn from either. If I can teach them something I will do my best to do so, no matter their age. I can't help it, it's how I was raised.

Oh, and don't count us ''old'' folks out when it comes to heli flying. You just might find that skill counts for more than reflexes and dexterity combined...[img][/img]
I seems to me the youth we are seeing come to the flying field today are a different breed of cat from what we had in the 60's and 70's. The kids back then had usually progressed from hand launched gliders, rubber power, free flight, control line to RC. Now all they do is get on a simulator and then their mom or dad buys them an ARF warbird and they come and burn up the sky. They lack respect for the older flyers because technology has made things so easy for them that they don't appreciate the effort the senior pilots put into RC. I offered help to a kid once at the field and the response was ''No thanks grandpa, I don't need to learn how to crash'' Another of my flying buddies had someone jam a piece of wooden dowel into the latch of the porta-john when he was in there and had to call his wife on the cell phone to have her let him out. The only other people at the field at that time he went into it were some punks who had of course left by them.

ARF's, cheap radios, and MTV are going to spell the end of the hobby as we know it.
Real effort?? Who the hell are you to decide what is and isn't "real effort"? You dont have the privillage.

I think hours a day on the sim learning to hover left side in with high winds while not letting it drift takes effort, but I would not declare it as such since it is only relative to me.

What does MTV have to do with anything? Lol.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Geezer1
Banned

Real effort?? Who the hell are you to decide what is and isn't "real effort"? You dont have the privillage.

I think hours a day on the sim learning to hover left side in with high winds while not letting it drift takes effort, but I would not declare it as such since it is only relative to me.

What does MTV have to do with anything? Lol.
[/quote]

Your reply confirms the point I was making in my post, that young people are "a different breed of cat" than what was entering the hobby in the past.

Your lack of civility allows me to rest my case.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:30 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I am 83. I sure wish I still had the eyesight I had when I was 15. I would be a lot safer pilot.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Lnewqban

Here we go again: young RC pilots versus aged RC pilots.

There is no such a conflict; or at least, it shouldn't be.

The real conflict exists among unconsiderate, rude, disrespectful RC pilots and the ones that act and speak in the opposite manner.

Generalizations are tricky, just because you cannot put the same type of people into the same bag based on age, skills, etc.

We have been discussing if age has to do with what airplanes you fly.
I don't know why we have ended up discussing either age has to do or not with what manners you have at a RC field.

Welcome to the RCU forums, Geezer1.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:38 PM
hairy46

We had a younger guy on here saying that the old guys need to buddy box with them! I was taking up for the one that started this tread! If he can afford the War-birds and has help from an exsperinced pilot then why not ! I was keeping to myself when I kept seeing one talk down all older folks and I have to admit it PO'ed me allot! The guy that taught me is 78 and is one of the best pilots I have ever seen! There for I took it as an insult to him and all of us older folks that love to fly! This hobby is not about age its about freindship and being out there at the field with folks older or younger and just enjoying the hobby we all love! Every night this last week we all met out at the field and had a great time! We all are there to fly and we fly what we have the ability to fly! We help our older gents to get them out there and we help the younger if they need help! This is a RC family as I have said before! I think if you flew a day with us you would see we are one big happy family here! And we have pilots come from other towns because they love to fly here!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:20 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

So maybe we should make the distinction between skilled pilots and bad pilots? Or possibly mature vs. immature pilots? I suppose the question we've all had for the OP is which group he falls into. I find it difficult to think of a 15 year old as skilled or mature, but he seems to at least be able to keep a heavy scale model in the air for a flight so maybe he's a natural. The truth is he'll get respect at the flying field based on his attitude and his skills. When the older guys see him flying, they'll either dismiss him as another cocky punk who doesn't know what he's doing or as a well trained pilot with his act together. As for me, I think I've followed this thread long enough.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:27 PM
LargeScale88

Well I want to be a fighter pilot when I'm older, the air force says I have the eyes, but I'm way to tall. I'm 6 feet 4 inches tall.

Thats right, Rock on Ken! Way to save the thread that went the wrong way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.