Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

2010 CORKS Sky Dive Rally

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 PM
twin3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2010 CORKS Sky Dive Rally

I am glad I just fly the plane.....

I could just make a low pass and release the jumper.... 30 to 40 feet.. sound good? As one of my friends always says "It's Not My Jumper"

MS
Old 11-03-2009, 01:31 PM
R/C Skyjumper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell um Jim - I can make a rubber diver for the chickin drop and if I have a senior moment ,of which I have a lot, I can bounce back up a ways and do it over LOL
Old 11-03-2009, 01:32 PM
R/C Skyjumper

MS- wont that be a tad high for the chickin jump, Heck G Knight could do a halo from that height , Cant he?
Old 11-03-2009, 03:52 PM
lundy

Jim we chicken jump together from the same plane ,
The looser buy's the drinks !

OK count me in ,

Say Paul do you have a jumper for some experiment I will Tel you later if it went well
Old 11-03-2009, 04:38 PM
skydiver

I will loan you "Wally", but you have to share the prize.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:06 PM
R/C Skydiver
My Feedback: (3)

Jules

You're on for the "Chicken Jump" together!! How about from 1200 ftif someone will tell me when the jumper is released-can't see that far up. The Wilga has a voice altimeter if we can get Mike to take us up.

This is going to turn out to be quite a skydiver rally if someone doesn't "CHICKEN" out. Right Jules?

Mike, the loooow drop is another possibility. We may run out of skydivers though if we do it all.

Jim
Old 11-03-2009, 05:13 PM
R/C Skyjumper

Thats OK for- do it for the last drops as we have time for repair before Muncie - OR just buy a new one as MFG need funds LOL
Old 11-04-2009, 02:45 PM
lundy

Ok Paul we have a deal !
We split the prize what ever it is , half a bucket KFC chicken wings
Maybe a dozen Hooters chicken legs .

( Paul do you think they gone let us in again at Hooters ! )
Old 11-04-2009, 02:58 PM
skydiver

Of course, they know a couple of swinging, big spenders when they see them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yw68383.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	764.7 KB
ID:	1307875   Click image for larger version

Name:	db86309.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	595.2 KB
ID:	1307876  
Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 PM
FlyBy8
My Feedback: (1)

Now I know why Juan is always wanting to hit ORANGE circles.

You sly Devil...

Name:	Ca80190.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1308598  
Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 PM
FlyBy8

Remember

Name:	Rp43011.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1308599  
Old 11-08-2009, 02:58 PM
R/C Skydiver

Practicing catching the skydiver for the Columbus '10 rally (if you have that event!!!).

We went to a Veterans Day flyin sponsored by the Flint River Flyers at Georgia Veterans Memorial Park near Cordele, Ga. Had a great time with lots of friends from other clubs around this area. Mary fixed a picnic lunch for about 20 of these folks.

Don't like to rub it in-but can't help it! Wx was clear, 75 F, wind light and variable. Ya'll should try jumping in this rough stuff!! Beats Muncie by a mile!

Jim

Name:	Ca82427.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1310073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88211.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1310074   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97246.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	1310075  
Old 11-08-2009, 03:37 PM
lundy

Lucky guy's .

Nice to hear that at least you Guy's have good weather in the south .
32° f and fog nobody is thinking of flying over here .[&:]

We don't have orange paint to keep us warm and motivated ! LOL
Nice picks Jim , you just like to rub it in-don't you ?

Wait for the chicken run Ha !
Thanks for the photo's
See you in Ohio next year , Jules
Old 11-12-2009, 11:32 PM
superbee-rc

ORIGINAL: R/C Skydiver

Mike,

Those dates are great with Mary and I. We look forward to the fun!

I like Juans suggestions, Great with the steaks, use score sheet like at Muncie, no limit on nr of jumps, top five scores count for total.

You might consider one last jump to catch jumper while standing inside the center circle. Have a jump off for ties. T

Think we may could set a record with the number of jumpers in the air at one time with 2.4 on most jumpers now. We had 13 in the air a few years back before 2.4. It was really funny to see guys forgetting which jumper they are controlling. Maybe that would make too many corn field landings!!! If we could do that and have it certified someway, it would sure be a challenge for other groups and even other countries to try and beat the record. It would also be more publicity for skydiving.

Publicize the event all around the country someway. I passed out a pile of brochures at the Perry, Ga. swap meet. Could someone do the same at Joe Nall, Warbirds Over Deleware, Bomber field in Tx, etc and other big events? A magazine article if possible would go a long way. I know there are many R/C guys who are into r/c skydiving all over the east coast that may try to go if they receive brochures thru their clubs or directly to them. I will send one to everyone on my list including Mexico and Brazil when you come out with the brochure.

Last year, I made an offer to loan a jumper to anyone in this area if they would go to the rally-no takers but I will try again this year.

A few suggestions for starters!!!

Jim

P.S. I like white paint for the circle 'cause my eyeballs are usually blood shot and would block out Juans favorite color if used!!!! Come to think of it, maybe I could hit the circle more if I couldn't see it!
I do not know if this is of any interst to the Skydiver comunity, but the Joe Nall is always looking for interesting noon time demos. Years ago I remember seeing some RC Skydiver at the event. If a goup could get togther a Quality demonstration including multiple drop planes and several skydivers and an MC to talk about RC skydiving I would be glad to present it to the Joe Nall group about this being a noon time demo. Please contact me if interested.

Mark Davidson

www.joenall.com
Old 11-13-2009, 09:56 AM
skydiver

Want to go Mike and take the Wilga?

paul r
Old 11-13-2009, 06:19 PM
R/C Skydiver

Sounds like a winner to me! Mary and I can probably go and I will have my Stinger to take 3 skydivers up. Mac Hodges would probably fly it as he always goes to Joe Nall.

The last attempt was a guy from Athens some of us know, John Bradley. He landed in a tree and had to pay a bunch to get pole climbers to get it down.

You guys with the Wilga flown by Mike would do much better!

Gary V goes almost every year. What about it Gary?

Jim
Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 PM
R/C Skyjumper

Where is this held and the Dates ?
Thanks
Don
Old 11-13-2009, 07:56 PM
skydiver

Mike and I are thinking about it and maybe Paul F.

Whatever happened to John Bradley? I saw him a couple of times at Toledo when he had a model in static competition.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:02 PM
R/C Skydiver

At Greenville, S.C. from May 8th to May 15th. They only allow 2.4 now.

Not much info or details out yet but you can google Joe Nall 2010 and get what they have.

Haven't seen nor heard from John since he visited one of our fly ins a few years ago. Have emailed him a few times but never an answer.

His buddy sold all his Mikes and "he ain't gonna jump anymore". Have you heard that quote before? An old airborne song. Can't remember his buddy's name but think he got married to a non RC tolerating wife!!

If we go as a group to represent R/C Skydiving, we have to make sure we have only highly qualified R/C Skydivers. We got any of those around??? It is a great chance to make a name for R/C Skydiving and create a lot of interest.

Ya'll think we can do it? Anyone else interested in making a mass jump at Joe Nall?

Old 11-13-2009, 11:31 PM
superbee-rc

This sounds like there is a lot of intrest. If yawl don't mind I will bring it up with the group that there is some intrest in this. The demos are thursday friday and saturday May 13, 14, 15.
Thank you
Mark Davidson
Old 11-15-2009, 10:14 PM
GaryV

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I copied this post off RC Canada forum.
Juan, I think this guy has you beat on the long distance jump.

GaryV

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?p=649054

I have a radio controlled skydiver that I acquired from a friend of mine. It is an older but very nice RC skydiver with a large 40” rectangular canopy (We skydivers call them “squares”).

Mechanically it works fine but the arm activation mechanism is subject to damaging the servos on landing. I had a chance to examine Dave Naylor’s version and can tell you his version is better than the one I have. I plan to modify my skydivers arm mechanism to Dave Naylors style because his is less likely to cause servo damage on landing.

But I have a great story about this skydiver I would like to share. It even explains how I acquired it.

Many years ago (mid 80’s) when Byron was still making large RC aircraft, we were impressed with a video of one of their shows they put on. On the video they showed a bunch of RC skydivers. These skydivers would fall several hundred feet before their parachutes opened. NEATO!!!. Well, my friend Les just had to have one of these. So he ordered one up and quickly put it together.
Finally it was all put together and I had my “workhorse” at the field. It was a Unionville cricket that had been modified with a bomb release, a Glider Piggyback mechanism and an On-board camera. That plane could do everything!
Les showed up with his RC skydiver and couldn’t wait to get it up. I offered my plane, but another guy had a giant 12 foot Senior Telemaster that had a bomb-bay. Les was enamored with it. So they stuff his skydiver into the bomb-bay and up they go. They climb to about 500’ and get over the “Drop Zone”. On the signal, the pilot pops the bomb-bay and…..NOTHING!. We could see the hatch was open but the skydiver didn’t want to come out. “I know!” says the Pilot. “I will yank some G’s and the skydiver will pop out!” So he puts the plane into a slight dive to pick up speed and then hauls back on the stick and…… THE WING SNAPS OFF!!! LOL…HA HA… the plane spirals in with the skydiver still inside. BAMMO! The plane was destroyed and the skydiver servos damaged. Back to the drawing board. Earth 1, Skydiver 0.

Next week, Les shows up with his repaired skydiver. We strap the skydiver under the belly of my workhorse and up we go. I took him to about 500’ and got over the drop point. On command I flip the switch to the bomb release and Mr skydiver makes a clean exit. This skydiver is a full free-fall version that has a drogue (pilot) chute that pulls out the main chute when the release is activated by moving the skydiver’s arms. Well, this skydiver is falling at terminal velocity and he is going straight for the center of the runway….and….Nothing. I am flying my plane and watching the skydiver at the same time. BAMMO! The skydiver goes straight in.
Earth 2, Skydiver 0.

After I landed we did a quick investigation. For some reason, the main paracute release mechanism didn’t activate. But everything else seemed OK. So after a quick repack and check, we strapped him to my airplane and up we went. When I got to 500’, I got onto jump run when Les (standing next to me) says “Higher!”, so I circled around and got to 1000’. On release, the skydiver was supposed to freefall to a lower altitude before opening but when I hit the switch, the parachute opened immediately after release. So here is this nice square canopy WAAAAY the hell up there. In seconds I land and shut down. Meanwhile, the parachute has done a 180 degree turn and is flying away from the field. I turned to Les and ask him “why didn’t you freefall first?” he said he didn’t want to take a chance with it not opening so he popped the main parachute while it was still attached to my plane. DOH!!!. If I’d have known that I would have insisted we do the drop at 200’ or so, but hey, it was *his* skydiver, and he did tell me to climb higher….

Now I am watching this skydiver at 1000’ still heading in a southwesterly heading away from the field. I turn to Les and say “you’d better bring it back…” To which he replied “I don’t have control”. I said “you’d better get in your car NOW!!! and start driving. “No”, he said, “I’ll watch to see where he lands then I will go get it”
Remember, this thing is at 1000’ and I figure it will be a while before it lands. Finally after about 15 minutes and its getting small in the horizon when Les realizes he’d better get in his car and start chasing it.
He comes back about 2 hours later.. No skydiver. Les said he followed the skydiver as best as he could bet he got smaller and smaller on the horizon. He never did see it land. Mr Skydiver was never seen again. Or so we thought.

Fast forward about 5 years. I am at the field when this farmer shows up keen to learn about model airplanes. After a while, he asks if anyone has ever had an RC skydiver. I tell him we had one but we lost it 5 years ago. He asks me to describe it so I did. Red jumpsuit and Light blue square canopy. He goes to his pickup and pulls out THE SKYDIVER!!!. He found it in a tree on his farm that spring. But here is the best part. His farm was located 24 kilometers southwest of the flying field (that’s 15 MILES!!!). here is a google map of where it started and where it ended up: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...=UTF8&t=h&z=11

I scooped the skydiver and when I got home I tried to find my friend. By this time, Les had moved several times and he already quit the hobby after many frustrating failures. I finally managed to track him down and called him up. I told him I had his skydiver. He told me to keep it, he didn’t want it back.

I still have that skydiver. It has served me well and I expect to continue using it for many, many more years.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:24 PM
R/C Skyjumper

Juan - Turn in your longest flight trophy , Ya have just been outdone - That was a fun read
Don
Old 11-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Banzai55

I might or might not have you beat! Dropped my guy into the top of a 60 foot pine tree on a Friday. We decided to come back in a couple of days with some climbing gear. Katrina hit on Monday! Goodbye parachute guy! Might be two states away by now. Maybe someone will find him and return him too!
Old 11-23-2009, 02:23 PM
goldenknight1

Mike S ; those dates are fine with me but I might be a little up tight when I get there. having to ride 456 mlies with this little guy I know from the northwest who is always complaining about something orange , wonder how he can ride so long with a white guy and nnd has to listen to all the hype about how white paint is a lot easer to see.

Bob
fair winds and blue skies without thermals
Old 11-23-2009, 03:24 PM
R/C Skyjumper

What part of him is little [:-]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.