Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Need help on Engine Selection for the Inferno 7.5

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Need help on Engine Selection for the Inferno 7.5

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Darion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on Engine Selection for the Inferno 7.5

I am looking to buy an Inferno 7.5 and I do not have a clue what engine to go with. I am recently coming back to RC after a 10 year leave. I use to run electric cars, so I do not want to do that again, I want to do something different. Any advice would be a big help. I will not be racing this buggy so I am looking for an engine that will be easy to tune and run for recreation.
Thanks for the advice,
Darion
Old 11-12-2003, 08:40 PM
hairnutz

Default RE: Engine Selection for the Inferno 7.5

I've got an OS .21 RG in one of my infernos and its great for a basher. Its got plenty enough power to have tons of fun with and it always starts right up and keeps in tune.

I think they run 120.00 or so? Cant remember exact price but it was cheap.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Darion

Thanks for the info. Selecting a buggy was simple for me, I always raced Kyosho and loved the product. Nitro though is all new to me and I hate to make a mistake on engine selection. Are Futaba products still good or should I be looking at another brand? I have been reading as much as I can but there is so much new product I cant keep up.
Any info welcome,
Thanks[8D]
Old 11-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Nitroaddict

darion - good buggy choice. are u planning on racing, or just bashing? how much are u willing to spend? are u able to grasp things easily, can u learn to tune an engine quickly? let me know these answers, and i will try to guide u in the right direction.

btw - yes, futaba still builds the best radio - the futaba 3PK
Old 11-12-2003, 10:02 PM
hairnutz

Futaba and Airtronics are the best bets. Im not sure how much you want to spend but Airtronics MX3 is a nice system for 115.00 and the Futaba 3PDF is about the same. Airtronics MX3 is a bit easier and has more features to program along with more model mem if that matters to you. Otherwise, Id get the Futaba 3PK if you wanna spend 250 - 300.

As for the Inferno, its almost unbreakable I've beat the heck out of mine and have only replaced the rear wing (twice) and the front driveshaft. If you are planning on getting a lot of air with it, I advise you get the front torque rod, otherwise the impacts are forced on the front driveshaft and it comes out looking like a rainbow. I would also get the aftermarket rod and not the Kanai factory rod - also while you're at it, replace the rear torque rod with aftermarket as well. They usually sell as a pair for 15.00
Old 11-13-2003, 10:32 AM
bigjdubb

The RG is an awesome engine to start off nitro with. Since you dont really plan to race (yet) the power will be plenty. I don't think any engines out there can match O.S.'s reliability. Unless you have drastic weather changes you pretty much tune it and leave it for as long as the season (as in summer, winter...) last's. Once the racing bug bites you (it always does with 1/8th scale) then you will have the engines down and be ready to upgrade to a higher powered O.S. which are all just as easy to tune and keep tuned.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:50 AM
nitromouse
My Feedback: (1)

Don't count out the XTM .247 engine. At 2.6 hp. and $129 its a cheap but strong engine. It is easy to tune as well.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:34 PM
Darion

Nitro Addict, here are some answeres to the questions trhat you asked. For now I will be just bashing and driving my neighbors nuts with my buggy. I grasp anything mechanical quickly and I will learn to tune the engine with some time. I use to have motorcycles and I did my own carb work so I have some experiance to fall back on with tuning. As far as the cost goes I can spend up to $200. I want someting that will be easy to start with and then I can upgrade down the road. The last RC cars I had I started out easy and then ended up having a few thousand invested to go racing. Actually, the investment to stay competitive was what dorve me away, but thats another story.
Hairnutz, Thanks for the advice about hardware. I was looking around at optional parts and the amount avalible was astounding. I like the titanium pieces offered are they a good choice? I use to work for a Titanium manufacturer and I love the product. I see me spending a tome of time customizing my buggy and any advice is welcome.
Bijdubb, I live in Ohio and the weather changes by the day. Today it is snowing very hard, yesterday night we had tornado warnings and during the day yesterday it was 70 degrees, right now it is 26 degrees. I will learn how to tune the engine I just want to start of simple and work into an advanced setup with a good foundation of experiance.
Again, thanks for all the information,
Darion
Old 11-13-2003, 09:40 PM
Nitroaddict

alright - thanks for giving me some insight. as for engines - u are going to run into a problem here. since a competitive race engine, even in the novice class will cost you a bit more than 200.00 and in the expert class, far more money. u can find some decent engines under 200.00 but some are a lil on the unreliable side, and others are great for bashing, but will get spanked at the track. one thing u really cannot do, however - is upgrade an engine. u can have them modded, but most modifiers wont do this to an engine, unless its top notch.

The only two engines i would recommend below 200.00 would be the OS .21RG and the Ofna Hyper 8port. The OS is about 130.00 and the Ofna is about 170.00 - the os is very reliable and easy to tune, but doesnt really belt out the power. the 8port has a lil more grunt, but has a poor carb. the next step up would put u into the race category. My recomendations for these would be the OS .21RZ(VO1B) of which i have two of - great race engine, but will run about 275.00, the RB Concepts WS7, which is about 305.00 or the Sirio .21PRO, about 340.00. The next level puts u into the expert racing class, and the engines that about 99% of the buggies run here is the RB Rody C5 11port, but it will set u back about 575.00 and the Novarossi Medial Pro 11port, and its about 490.00. personally - i would tell u to got with the OS .21RZ(VO1B) - a lil more than u want to spend, but it will prevent upgrading later to race. plus it has OS legendary reliability.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:32 PM
Darion

Thanks for the info. What I meant by "upgrade the engine" was that when I got a better handle on things I would buy another one and just switch them out. I will get another car of some kind, maybe a truck, and put my starter motor in it to go bashing with. let me ask you this though, if I were to opt for the better O.S. motor how much more difficult will it be to tune and break in than the O.S. .21RG? If the difference is small I will spend the extra money. The bottom line is, I want to learn this inside and out and I would like to have a good time while doing it. The thing I enjoyed most about RC in the past wasn't racing, but it was getting ready to race every week and I do not see that changing in me now. I think I just want to bash and enjoy myself doing it, you know what I mean? Thank's again you have been a big help,
Darion
Old 11-14-2003, 09:26 PM
Nitroaddict

The OS .21RZ(VO1B) is no more difficult to tune than the .21RG - alot more power though. The RZ is being upgraded to the .21VZ, but there are some serious problems with the piston in the VZ, stay with the RZ. The Carbs for the RZ and RG are almost the same, just minor diffs, so the tuning is virtually the same.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:20 AM
Darion

Great news. The more power the better, and if I can get it without much tuning issues all the better. Time to find my best deal and I will be off to the races, errrr bashing.
Thanks again,
Darion
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM
BulgarianBullwhip
Banned

Default RE: Need help on Engine Selection for the Inferno 7.5

no engine needed here