Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

My First R/C Car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 01:57 AM
Jag3k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First R/C Car.

As a Christmas present to myself, I ordered my first Nitro R/C car, and a few accessories...

1 X-Terminator RTR Nitro Buggy w/24.7
3 20% Quart - XTM Car Fuel
1 Fuel Filler Bottle - 500cc
4 Glow Plug - #3
1 Wrench Long for Car - 1/8
1 Air Filter Oil 2 oz
1 Glow Starter w/Meter/Battery/Charger
1 Venom Racing Failsafe

The car and accessories are due to arrive Tuesday, Dec. 28. I'm very new to the R/C scene, and would appreciate it if you all could possibly offer some maintenance, tuning tips, and/or general advice to keep my car running strong.

Also, I'll (eventually) wish to make the buggy go a bit faster. How would I accomplish this? I'm not looking for anybody to hold my hand. I'm just looking for somebody to point me in the right direction.

Oh, and one last thing... Does anybody have any recommendations for a Radio? Preferably something no more than $200, definitely not more than $300.

Thanks in advance,
Jag3k
Old 12-27-2004, 05:48 AM
leshill

Default RE: My First R/C Car.

Hello Jag3k from the UK,

I'm new to the R/C cars as well but over the past three weeks I've gained a wealth on knowledge regards what you should and shouldn't do when it comes to nitro cars. Here is my list of does and don'ts.

1./ When breaking the car in follow the recommended instructions, don't be surprised if it takes you a while get the car running for the first time, the engine will be tight and may take some time to get started.
2./ Never mess with the mixture/idle adjustments until you really know what they do? When you but a RTR car it's already been set-up correctly so you shouldn't need to touch it for the first few tanks.
3./ Never run the car off the ground at high speeds while you don't have any load on the wheels.
4./ If when you pull the pull start and it feels really hard don't continue, remote the glow plug and make sure you have not flooded the engine.
5./ Always check the glow plug before you try and start your car.
6./ Check the batteries before you start to use your car in both the controller and the transmitter.
7./ It's always worth while investing in a failsafe, this will shut off the accelerator if you car goes out of range.

Hope this little bit of information helps?
Old 12-27-2004, 06:35 AM
Will239

good advice les

$200 would buy you a very good radio! you could get the mx3 for 100 bucks.... i would recommend the mx3 for a radio. Follow the manual, and take time to look around for more info about your car, and tuning and/or breakin that relates to it. Also take your time, dont rush, your patience will pay off.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:33 AM
JNS

probably the 3 best radios under $200 are the Hitec CRX, JR XS3, and Futaba 3PM
one thing you'll need is a good failsafe *even though i myself dont use one yet...* they prevent a runaway buggy from radio interference, loss of signal etc..
along with the radio it'd be a good idea to get a new steering servo for less than $40 look into the Hitec 645 MG, for $50 theres the 5645 MG which is much faster and stronger, theres other mods that people do to make the buggy a little better from its box form but if this is your first nitro, run the engine a little more on the rich side than usual,
heres a question for you, which versions of the RTR did u get? the regular or the Deluxe, the term isnt great as a racer but i doubt thats why you bought it in the first place, i was having the radio issue but ive taken a different approach... im going to buy a Team Losi LST that comes with a very good radio; the XS3, and engine thats halfway between the .247 and .247 pro, same manufacturer (SH). but from what i understand the XTM fuel is ok but nothing exceptional, the thing to note on fuel for an SH engine si that it has LESS than 16% oil, the engine is somewhat of a pain with anymore, Trinity Monster Horsepower is one that seems to receive praise, and the rescently released White Lightening has been doing well, i myself have been running Blue Thunder 20% and it was initially a little finicky but now it starts on the first or 2nd pull

good luck with the term and if you run into a problem with it, pm me and i should be able to tell ya what to do [&:]
Old 12-27-2004, 09:52 AM
madweazl

16% is a ton in my opinion, I like the "race" formulas (something around 8-10%) myself. Rear and article somewhere that stated something like 12% being the point of deminishing returns.

I just ordered a radio from Ultimate Hobbies, its the JR XS3 Pro and it was only $199 and comes with a decent servo for steering duties. Its also a synthesized system so you can dial up an 75mhz freq you want to use Best bang for the buck there is in a radio system in my opinion.

I'm not familiar with your car but there are hopups for everything under the sun now.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Jag3k

Thanks for all the advice, and for replying so quickly!

I've already purchased a Venom Racing failsafe, and it is due to arrive shortly after my car. It was only ~$25 after shipping.

ORIGINAL: JNS

probably the 3 best radios under $200 are the Hitec CRX, JR XS3, and Futaba 3PM
one thing you'll need is a good failsafe *even though i myself dont use one yet...* they prevent a runaway buggy from radio interference, loss of signal etc..
along with the radio it'd be a good idea to get a new steering servo for less than $40 look into the Hitec 645 MG, for $50 theres the 5645 MG which is much faster and stronger, theres other mods that people do to make the buggy a little better from its box form but if this is your first nitro, run the engine a little more on the rich side than usual,
heres a question for you, which versions of the RTR did u get? the regular or the Deluxe, the term isnt great as a racer but i doubt thats why you bought it in the first place, i was having the radio issue but ive taken a different approach... im going to buy a Team Losi LST that comes with a very good radio; the XS3, and engine thats halfway between the .247 and .247 pro, same manufacturer (SH). but from what i understand the XTM fuel is ok but nothing exceptional, the thing to note on fuel for an SH engine si that it has LESS than 16% oil, the engine is somewhat of a pain with anymore, Trinity Monster Horsepower is one that seems to receive praise, and the rescently released White Lightening has been doing well, i myself have been running Blue Thunder 20% and it was initially a little finicky but now it starts on the first or 2nd pull

good luck with the term and if you run into a problem with it, pm me and i should be able to tell ya what to do [&:]
I purchased the regular RTR, and no, I don't really plan on racing as of yet. It will be used as more of an introduction to nitro R/C cars. I didn't want to buy anything too expensive my first time around without even knowing the basics of maintenance, etc. I'll look into some of those other fuels you mentioned, as well as the servos, and radios.

ORIGINAL: leshill
Hello Jag3k from the UK,

I'm new to the R/C cars as well but over the past three weeks I've gained a wealth on knowledge regards what you should and shouldn't do when it comes to nitro cars. Here is my list of does and don'ts.

1./ When breaking the car in follow the recommended instructions, don't be surprised if it takes you a while get the car running for the first time, the engine will be tight and may take some time to get started.
2./ Never mess with the mixture/idle adjustments until you really know what they do? When you but a RTR car it's already been set-up correctly so you shouldn't need to touch it for the first few tanks.
3./ Never run the car off the ground at high speeds while you don't have any load on the wheels.
4./ If when you pull the pull start and it feels really hard don't continue, remote the glow plug and make sure you have not flooded the engine.
5./ Always check the glow plug before you try and start your car.
6./ Check the batteries before you start to use your car in both the controller and the transmitter.
7./ It's always worth while investing in a failsafe, this will shut off the accelerator if you car goes out of range.

Hope this little bit of information helps?
It did. Thanks. =]

Right now, this is the radio I've been looking at: http://www.hobbypeople.net/prdcls/r751681.asp
Does anybody have any personal experience with it?

I also have some more questions:
1) It's been extremely cold where I live lately (below freezing). What would happen if you ran your car in this sort of weather?
2) Do radios and recievers eat through a lot of batteries?
3) On average, how long do glow plugs last?

Thanks again!
Jag3k
Old 12-27-2004, 11:19 AM
saifullah21

welcome to rcu. When i first started with nitro, the most frustrating experience(after assembly) was wearing in the engine. Leshill is absolutely right. Check your glow plug before you try starting. i'm not too far from bodymore, and there's snow on the ground. there are many in these forums that don't recommend running or break-in at these temps. i'd advise that you get a rechargeable rx pack, nimh. it's not unusual to go through a few glow plugs during break-in. it depends on how long you break-in. try not to flood your engine because that can also foul the glow plug. hope this helps. never seen the term but heard great things about it. enjoy!
Old 12-27-2004, 12:24 PM
madweazl

The MX3 is a nice radio, great quality and features for the price. I'm an Airtronics fan, had a Caliber and M8 after that but this time around I went with the JR because of the servo that it comes with. Its not an expensive unit at around $40 (the servo) but you'll be needing a better steering servo than whats going to ship with the car and the Airtronics radio so you'll end up spending the same if not more. Either way you'll end up with a fantastic radio though (the Futaba unit priced similarly is great too). All of these radios will be pretty good on batteries (my Caliber was bad but it would still go a few race days).

When I was racing gas last I went through 2 glow plugs in 4 gallons of fuel! That included break in. Being your intro to gas you may kill a few but they're cheap I really wouldnt worry to much about breaking the engine in at those temps as thats the same range you'll be running the car as well.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:13 PM
JNS

the MX3S is a very good car radio, well balanced feature wise the only reason i dont want the MX3 myself is that i go down to track and see them everywhere so i kindof want a radio that not most people have like the JR XS3 Pro or something of that nature
Old 12-27-2004, 08:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

the 3pm is a great radio, for a price of around $120 it can't be beat.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Jag3k

I have a rechargable battery pack from one of my old electric cars, however, I'm not sure if it's the right kind. I do believe it's nimh. As I don't have it in front of me at the moment, the best I can offer is a crude description: It's long ( ~6" ), skinny, ( ~2" ), and 7.2v, I believe. Will that suffice? If need be, I can always take a picture.

Here in Maryland, the temperature fluctuates quite frequently, especially in the winter. Maybe it would be best to wait until a cooler day for break-in? At what temperatures do you think it would be best to restrain from running the car?

Oh, I'm probably going to get the MX-3S radio, and more than likely, I'll be purchasing a new steering servo. I am, however, curious... What's usually wrong with stock steering servos that new ones should be purchased?

Thanks, yet again!
Jag3k
Old 12-27-2004, 08:40 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

No. get a 6v NIMH dedicated receiver battery.
a flat pack or hump pack fits well in the term's battery box.
you also want an NIMH compatible charger...I have a Dynamite Prophet Plus, and I'd also recommend the Duratrax Intellipeak.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:42 PM
JNS

out of the box the Hitec-311 on throttle can eventually die after 10+ tanks, so what ive done is took the stock steering and moved it to throttle then dropped a 645 for steering
the problem with stock servos for buggies not just the term, is that they usually are underpowered, while the term includes a descent servo... its still not good enough for an enthusiast...
Old 12-27-2004, 08:44 PM
Haldir

Read the manual thoroughly, is the best I advice I can give you, I have broken in engines in cold weather but never below freezing, you can try but it will be very cold so dress warm!
Old 12-27-2004, 08:50 PM
JNS

no i dont think that'll work... your talking about a 6-cell stick like [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHEB7&P=7]this[/link] but for a nitro radio system u usually need a 5 cell hump or flat pack, the term can hold either (if u use flat you have to use a zip tie and hold it in) [link=http://servocity.com/html/6_0v_1450mah_nimh_battery.html]this SHOULD work[/link]
Old 12-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Jag3k

JNC, I'll be taking your advice and purchasing a Hitec 645 for steering and moving the 311 to throttle. Thanks for the tips and info!

It looks like with my next paycheck, I'll be purchasing the following:
1) Airtronics MX-3S Synthesized
2) Hitec 645
3) 5 cell hump, or flat pack
4) More glow plugs
Old 12-27-2004, 10:05 PM
JNS

the 311 is the one that comes on the throttle stock, its $8 servo... the 605 is usually whatcomes with steering, so mines set up as of now with a 645 on steering and the 605 on throttle
the 311 is junk, you may save it for a later project and just use it as a sort of actuator ... but byinlarge its useless
Old 12-27-2004, 11:05 PM
nitrowannabe

I would go with a JR XS3 its around 200 bucks and come with just enough power on each servo to get the job done, plus its synthesized
Old 12-28-2004, 03:44 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

XS3 Pro is under $200, if you wanna spend that much coin, go after that.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:50 AM
GT4racer

hey guys...i dont want to hack this tread but since you're talking about servos is the on ein the Hyper 7 PBS good or should I chane it with this: http://shop.the-border.nl/product.ph...4&cat=0&page=1
Old 12-28-2004, 10:16 AM
JNS

if its an RTR, and a buggy, then theres a damn good chance its a crap servo, the term comes with a descent one but it still isnt enough, for allot of performance you'd need a 110 oz, and around a .12-.16 transit time
Old 12-28-2004, 10:34 AM
madweazl

I personally would avoid the 645 servos, while the specs look ok the one I had didnt perform as expected at all. The torque seemed rather weak (all my other cars had Airtronics) and it absolutely would not center properly, ever! You stated you dont plan on racing so that may not be a big issue for you. I ripped it out after the first day and ordered another Airtronics

JR makes some servos in the same price range with similar specs and from what I've read they center and perform properly. I would certainly trust them over Hitec as they consistently put out quality products. For a potentially better setup than the Airtronics (radios are equivalent to one another) you may want to check out that Futaba with a better quality servo for roughly the same price as the Aitronics/Hitec combo you had mentioned.

If you're opposed to the silver finish on the JR XS3 Pro the non pro model is still black but retains most of the features and has the nice servo as well. Personally I feel its the best setup for the money, and I've never had a JR radio! My brand loyalty was originally with Futaba, them the Caliber came out which I liked so I jumped ship to Airtronics (got a M8 shortly after), and now I'm moving over to JR (never heard a bad thing about JR before). Kicking myself now for selling my radios!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Jag3k

Thanks for the advice, tips, and info everybody! I really do appreciate it!

I recieved my car in the mail today =]. Unfortunately, I had to work all day so break-in will have to wait until first thing tomorrow morning. Pictures of my stock X-Term can be located [link=http://neptunecircle.com/jag3k/car/]here[/link]. Hopefully I'll have some movies of it in action soon .

Thanks again!
Jag3k
Old 12-29-2004, 12:06 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

dang, nothin sucks more than having a new car you can't play with:P
trust me, i know[&:]