Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

General Buggy Tips Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 12:13 AM
AbsolutWTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Buggy Tips Please

This post may resemble rambling, but it has a few strong points and questions - I hope.

-My background. I used to run On-Road at Hobby Central in Pensacola [link=http://www.hobbycentralrc.com]www.hobbycentralrc.com[/link], and I was pretty good. My down point was always tuning the engine. I used to run a NTC3 with a JR XS3. Anyway, got married, moved sold everything. I now have two (2) 1/8th scale tracks within 30 minutes of my house (I wimper everytime I think of it). So I've returned to the hobby.

-My ride. Marraige - fun right? Anyway, days of best money can buy doesn't exist. So I took the ebay way and bought a GS Storm RTR kit. I was looking more or less at the plus of already having the JR radio and a buggy that i could race. I was not given a budget to put together the beast I wanted. Considering the many blank pieces of Carbon Fiber that I own (yes, saving some thing is good) I could replace most of the RTR with custom made Carbon Graphite pieces.

-My fault. I believe that I can go out there with any car and compete on equal or above level of anyone else. Any fault is strictly due to my driving mistakes. In On-Road, I slowly learned that the better I prepared my car and created a symetrical set-up, the quicker I became.

-My questions. What do I need to know going from On-Road to Off-Road. I'm adding a third dimension. Where do you start in terms of tuning you're buggy? I'm convinced myself that 75% of my success or lack thereof will be on pre-race prep and cleaning. I'm not sure about that other 25%. One part that I'm researching as much as I can is the silicon in the differentials. I'm still fuzzy on that. My other question goes to the shocks. What order should I start tinkering? Like I said, I've got a third dimension now that I must contend with.

-Specific Question. I have read numerous times about racers having issues with the GS engine dying at half-tank. Not many responses to their questions. Is this true? Is this a common problem or tuning issue? It sounds like its being run too lean and heats up after about half a tank. Anyone who can drop some info on this will be greatly appreciated.

There's tons of great tips available - but in which order do you go after them?
Old 01-03-2005, 01:21 AM
AIRPLANE FREAK
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: General Buggy Tips Please

Ok here is my quick advice, since the track is 30 min away, i recommend that you give it a visit, you see all tracks are not the same, and if u are sure that you will be running at these tracks, you can ask other racers about their set-ups and i am
sure that they will help. The diff oils will vary to what you use to a specific track, meaning some tracks have lots of jumps, others have lots of turns, same goes for the shocks, oil weights will be dictated by the type of track you will be running on.
as far as more advice, for off-road, try and get like 3 sets of extra tires of different treads, this way you have some choices, as far as carbon fiber, i dont think that with buggies it is a good idea, you may want to look at getting some super nice upgrades from KINGHEADZ, or RACERSEDGE, they have the proper upgrades, that are super durable for your buggy...i can tell you one thing, off-road is a little more forgiving than on-road, in terms of set-up, you can be slightly off with off-road, but if u have driving skills you can make it up, in on-road everything has to be dead on......for instance, shocks, ride height, toe in, toe out....you get the picture.....all in all, go out have fun, race a little and see what others at the track you want to run in are doing, learn from them and you will have a blast......welcome back to a wonderful hobby!