Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Aftermarket Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Ando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Chassis

I'm looking to replace my Kanai II chassis. Anyone have any experience with the aftermarket ones I'm seeing on eBay (like the unti from Dragon?)
Old 01-07-2005, 06:47 PM
fhm101

Default RE: Aftermarket Chassis

The dragon chassis is cut out for a pull start, but if you use the K car engine mounts, a 14mm crankcase engine will not fit the chassis made for the KII/sport buggy without some grinding on the engine and/or chassis. If I remember right you need an extra .020" for the big crank engines to work. The KIII chassis, including the aftermarket versions I've seen all have the required cutout under the engine so it can accept the 14mm crank engine. All other things being equal it would be easier to put a pullstart engine on a KIII chassis than it would be fitting a big crank engine to the KI or II chassis.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Chex

someone know bought the dtragon chassis, and it was alright. It does have cutouts for a pullstart engine, but also has the holes for mounting the plates that the k2 uses. It is milled so you should be able to fit the bigger cranked engine, but one problem was that the holes that secure the front and rear suspension plates were not the right size, and needed to be filed out to get the plates to fit, this is an easy enough job....so there shoudlnt really be a problem,....Ive seen JT racing chassis going for quite cheap, so i would check if they have any on eaby right now, or check their website.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:36 PM
fhm101

As you can see from the pics below, the Dragon KII plate (on the left) is not milled out for a large case engine. The milled area is correct for a pull start, but it needs an area milled between the mounts like the stock KIII chassis (center). last is the Dragon 777 plate which is also milled for a large case engine. I screwed up when i said the dargon KIII plate would accept a large case since Dragon sells the same plate for both the KII and KIII. The plate i was thinking of when I mentioned the KIII plate in my first post was in fact the 777 plate. Sorry about that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32901.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	212204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93931.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	212205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50506.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	212206  
Old 01-08-2005, 08:34 PM
viper463

I have a JT racing chassis on my K2 and it's great. Maybe give them a look. Thats all I have to say about it. Later
Old 01-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Ando

Thanks fellows! I'll let you know what I end up buying.