Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

What buggie to start racing with?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 12:25 AM
ProfitOfDoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What buggie to start racing with?

Now im really scared [X(]
Old 05-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's an expensive hobby....

If you want to start racing seriously and don't want to waste money, go for a top kit with a competition .21 and a good radio set and servos. Anything else is false economy. I plan on racing, but the best I could afford was a Hyper PBS. Of course it's fully upgradable, but it's gonna cost me more in the long run. Plus, I'm not planning on winning many races for a while, I was an on-road racer and now I'm making the switch, so I don't need the best...yet.

I second what someone else said about the TTR S3, it may not have the parts support yet, but it will soon, and it's technologically ahead of the others. I hated TTR (bad experiences), until this product came out...it has completely turned me around. I'll probably get one myself for my next buggy.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:18 AM
j000sh

Ok, I couldn't be stuffed to read any of the other messages so excuse me if I sound a little random. Anyway, I was in your EXACT position like 4-6 months ago and I was looking for a decent buggy for a decent price. Everyone suggested the one of the Ofna buggies and to be dead honest I would go with one of those cars. I couldnt find a dealer around that stocked any Offna buggies (Very hard to believe, but its the truth, lack of good hobby shops around my area). After looking around for a bit I came across the "Power Racing Swift" (RTR), now when looking at the name and brand of that car most people would think that its a piece of ****, but if u have a closer look at the specs its actually a fairly decent buggy, just upgrade the servo's and you have yourself a race worthy car for a very decent price. Have a further look into this car, I reccomend you do, its also a great car to start off with.

P.S It it fairly quick, heaps up with the Ofna buggies.

Hope this helped!

Josh.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:53 AM
mbx5prospec

If you are going to get any other car then the top three (Mugen, Kyosho, XRay) then I would get the Hot Bodies Lightning http://www.hotbodiesonline.net/lightning2pro.html . My friend has one of these and you can actually swap a lot of parts from the Kyosho 777. In my opinion, as I said before, it doesn't make sense that you go out and buy a buggy for $500, and then you have to upgrade it and spend and extra $500 to make it equal to one of the top cars, you'll be wasting money in the long run.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGGV5&P=7
Old 05-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't understand why you don't incude the TTR in your 'top buggies'...
Old 05-11-2005, 09:10 AM
twigstoy

Mayhem Pro ARR $450.00
JR XS Pro $250.00
This Buggy is already race legal $700.00
This is all you need in my opinion!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2005, 09:11 AM
twigstoy

Mayhem Pro ARR $450.00
JR XS3 Pro $250.00
This Buggy is already race legal $700.00
This is all you need in my opinion!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the double post
Old 05-11-2005, 09:25 AM
mbx5prospec

OK, the Mayhem Pro RTR is a good buggy, but where do you get parts for it?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:32 AM
guest2001619

i second the ttr is great and unless you are going to nationals to race. just club racing (like me) then get xtm pro .21 all the power and holds tune decent, i like mine and i only cost 106.50 at my door step. if you cant tell im runing ttr s3 with xtm .21 pro
Old 05-11-2005, 09:56 AM
twigstoy

Finding parts for the mayhem is no different than anything else, just order them online. I just call Horizon and ask them who has bought the item I am looking for, and they will tell you. Call and order the part.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:10 AM
mbx5prospec

ORIGINAL: twigstoy

Finding parts for the mayhem is no different than anything else, just order them online. I just call Horizon and ask them who has bought the item I am looking for, and they will tell you. Call and order the part.
Well if you look at the Horizon Website, most of the parts are out of stock?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:12 AM
mbx5prospec

Maybe this guy should just start a poll on the car he thinking about getting?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:23 AM
twigstoy

I agree !!! There is issues with all of them anyways. Just buy a cheap one to see if you are going to like the up keep.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:47 PM
hord1080

I don't know but u should read my previous post, I was in the same position as you. I was researching like hell and I always try to make an informed decision, so my advice is...the 777 standard. I couldn't fit the Sp-1 on my Visa card lol so the sub-350 dollar 777 was my ticket to race and actually line up with a worthy sled. If i did get the SP-1, I would have had to settle for a cheaper radio and OS RG but I now have Helios/DSM and NovaR P5. The kit has little weak spots, and don't be afraid to break stuff...it is merely an excuse to upgrade. And all I have to say is EBAY!! I knocked out all the problem areas except a couple for 150 bucks!(Rear/center F&R universals, SP-1 shock towers, SP-1 engine mounts, blue springs, Ti turnbuckles...
All I know is peace of mind for cheap is a no brainer...most people run these and win at any track
Old 05-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Aerobirdbrain

I wonder why no one except me has mentioned the Jammin' X1CR. Mine went together flawlessly and it makes the Mayhem pros and any other Ofna car look like Tonka toys on the track; also, ya'll can say what you want about how good the 777's and MBX-5's handle, but I can either catch up to them, hold them off or stay right with them. I'm not sayin' that its easy, I will admit that they are slippery in the right hands, but what I AM sayin' is that this car can do it, and I highly recomend it for competitive racing. Just go check it out and you'll see what I'm talkin' about.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:55 PM
mbx5prospec

Yeah Maybe it can keep up, but if you crash, your going to break something