Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Putting M/T tires on Ofna Ultra LX buggy?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Putting M/T tires on Ofna Ultra LX buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:33 PM
mattreynol
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting M/T tires on Ofna Ultra LX buggy?

I learned from my posting on another thread, that 1/8th buggies don't run well on grass. However, I think it would really make a difference just to get another inch of ground clearance to handle different conditions. Any suggestions on how to go about putting larger tires on my Ofna buggy? What type of tires should I purchase, and what type of wheel adapters would I need? Also would I need to change the gearing to accomodate for the larger tires? If so, what do I need to do this?

Thanks in advance for any posts!
Old 08-07-2005, 12:13 AM
dockman2

Default RE: Putting M/T tires on Ofna Ultra LX buggy?

You dont need any wheel adapters. OFNA sells MT wheels with a 17mm hex that are a direct fit. Just look at there site under wheels/tires. They have stadium size and Monster truck size wheels and tires.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:57 AM
Aerobirdbrain

I think that you should go with the Ofna wheel adaptors because it make the wheel base wider and it allows you to run any monster truck wheel. As far as tires, I would go with a pair of Moab tires, they last a long time and they look cool.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:05 AM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mattreynol

I learned from my posting on another thread, that 1/8th buggies don't run well on grass.

i wouldn't say that as over half of the UK Nationals are run on VERY FAST grass tracks

unfortunately for the track in this pic it had rained all day and 120 drivers worth of 15 car heats had cut the surface up a little, but had it been a dry meeting the track would have been real fast!

EDIT

just been & read your other thread & found out you meant bashing in uncut grass, in which case you were right! the grass would hinder the buggys progress pretty badly
Old 08-08-2005, 03:17 AM
Aerobirdbrain

Hey sh0wtime, that looks like a fun track, do you have any pics of the rest that got cut off?
Old 08-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Super_Dave

Go with aerobirdbrains sujestion for tires because it will make the buggy a little wider and more stable. You will have to gear the buggy quite a bit lower because of the larger tires you have a bigger area going around thus making the motor work harder to get 1 more rotation out of each wheel. Big tires will give you great top speed with the stock gearing but no acceleration at all. Get the smallest clutch bell gear you can find that will fit and if you need to go with a slightly larger spur gear.

12t clutch bell might be enough and i'm not sure if you can get an 11t to fit in the gear mesh? if you can go with 11t
Old 08-08-2005, 12:55 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

pro-line 23mm tire adapters. widen the buggy, and allow use of maxx tires, and 23 mm hex tire use
Old 08-08-2005, 01:27 PM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Aerobirdbrain

Hey sh0wtime, that looks like a fun track, do you have any pics of the rest that got cut off?

sorry dude it was from a meeting a couple of weeks ago that i never went to so i've not got any other pics