Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

breaking in my new hyper 8 port

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 05:31 AM
hyper701

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking in my new hyper 8 port

i have started to break in my new 8 port ive been through 1 tank of fuel just heat cycling, can someone tell me what to do next?
and also will running my engine 2 rich during the break in period harm it? thanks
Old 08-19-2005, 06:16 AM
abgm283

Default RE: breaking in my new hyper 8 port

Hi

I would let it idle for one more tank and then at least 5 tanks slow opperation before hammering it!

It worked for me!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:24 AM
ttr_dude

hey same as abgm i ran mine in about another 1-2 tanks more than abgm, i think for about 6-7 tanks
Old 08-19-2005, 08:32 AM
Engrose

This info comes from Alex, I think that he knows more about Hyper-engines than anyone:

For the Hyper 21 it is recommended that you use 16% - 25% nitro, that is what they come pre-shimed for.

Check that the carb is seated on properlyon the engine.

Before you start the thing up you need to set the carb up properly.

So wind in the MSN till it's just below flush.

Wind the LSN out a few turns.

Close the sliding barrel right up and adjust the Idle screw till there is a 1mm gap down the thraot.

Now wind in the LSN till you feel resistance (NO FURTHER) and then wind it back out 3.5 turns.

Next wind the HSN in till you feel resistance and then back out 3 turns.

******First start******

Squirt a few drops of After Run Oil (ARO) down the carb throat and in through the plug hole.

If in cold climates it is a good idea to warm the BLOCK of the engine up to over 100'F (#40'C) as this will help the engine to rotate more freely.

Fit the air filter.

Now turn the engine over (spin the crank) a few times to lubricate it.

Now fill the fuel tank and prime the engine by blocking the exhaust and turning the engine over till fuel spits from the plug hole (Caution should be taken to avoid fuel in the eye).

Fit the plug but leave it a turn loose.

Now place the (CHARGED UP) glow stick on the plug and yank the cord/bounce th car on the box. It may jam up but then you just need to prise the flywheel back to a free spining area.

It WILL run, you just need to persist in this bit.

Once running, tighten the plug up.

Allow it to run for 5 minutes at Idle and then shut it off. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes and the start it up again. This time it should just be a case of yanking the cord/ Bouncing on the box with the ignitor on.

You need to repeat this for 6 tanks to do the break in fully, it takes about 6 hours to do and will help the longevity of your engines life. Not breaking in a Hyper 21 engine correctly will cause the conrod to snap and possibly take out the piston too. DO NOT rev the engine over 1/2 throttle uring this stage.

******TUNING******

With the engine runing start to wind the LSN in by 1/8th increments till it accelerates without boging out. (It will still bog in the mid/high range).

With the LSN set start on the HSN, wind it in in 1/8th increments till it rips up the dirt without spiting oil. It should however still have a good plume of VISIBLE smoke. Without the smoke, again you WILL throw the rod.

Check the idle speed and ensure the brakes are not stoping the whels at Idle (this will induce a brakeing force on the engine and cause a perfectly tuned engine to stall unexpectadly and causing you to fiddle when you need not.

That's it done, nothing to it really but it seems that people just cant do it. So follow this guide and the H21 will serve you well.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:09 AM
hyper701

ok, ive been through 500mls of fuel should i start to lean it out slightly with each tank?
Old 08-20-2005, 10:06 AM
MassiveMods

dont forget to let the engine cool with the piston at BDC
Old 08-21-2005, 02:43 AM
vortex_au

Rather than starting a new thread, i'll ask my question here.

I've just picked up a Hyper 21 8 port pro (boost chamber etc) for my hyper 7 pure comp and begun the breakin process, one tank idling (fuel was dripping from the exhaust, nice and rich), another tank going up and down the rev range but nothing above half throttle, same needle settings as before nice and rich. On the third tank I got half way through and had to stop because it started bucketing down rain. Stopped the engine, set it to BDC, packed up and went home.

Once home, emptied the tank and put after run oil in the engine.

Problem is, I dont have a starter box yet (borrowed a mates at the track to get it running), is it OK to leave the engine half broken in for a week until I either get my own starter box, or am able to borrow one again? I assume all will be well, but I'd just like to check in case

Cheers
Old 08-21-2005, 03:25 AM
dicko

hey vortex, cleaned your car yet?

yeah it will be fine, it took me 2 days to run the mugen in & you saw how that was going today. i sussed my boggong down bit, i just need to get the temp up before i go too far into the high end, once it warms up it's fine.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:32 AM
vortex_au

haha naa, its still drying. Not going to touch it till the mud is dry... My tires are all clean now though
Old 08-21-2005, 04:17 AM
hyper701

i have used 1.1L of fuel now and its really starting to hall ass, but still heaps rich and leaving a theck line of smoke, coupple more tanks and it will be ready 2 race[>:] only problem im having now is the pull start, i think im going to piss it off and buy a starter box
Anyway thanks 4 all your help and i hope this thread helps others as much as it has helped me CHEERS
Old 08-21-2005, 04:21 AM
vortex_au

Yeah go the starter box, you'll also get a bit more grunt from the engine if you remove it once you have a starter box.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:57 AM
hyper701

yea bout the boys at the track told me when i pull off the pull start i cant use the boosing mechanism (turbo) anymore.
Does the turbo make the engine much more powerfull ?
ORIGINAL: vortex_au

Yeah go the starter box, you'll also get a bit more grunt from the engine if you remove it once you have a starter box.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:56 AM
vortex_au

Not sure. My engine has the boost chamber, but i've only just begun to break it in today and have never driven a pullstart hyper motor to compare. Im sure someone else can answer the question though
Old 08-21-2005, 07:01 AM
vortex_au

Sorry, mis-read your post.

I have a boost/turbo chamber on my engine now, its the non-pullstart hyper 21 8 port pro w/ boost chamber. Get in contact with Hobby Habit in Adelaide (the hyper/hobao importer) and they can hook you up with the parts for the conversion.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:54 AM
hyper701

cool, il have to look into that, caus all the boys at the track took there boost mechanism out with the pull start when they got there boxes