Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

souping up .21 nitro engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:41 AM
pro_steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default souping up .21 nitro engines

Is there any ways of getting more power out of a nitro engine i know that you can buy different pipes but how much differnce can that really make?
thanks
Old 08-29-2005, 10:44 AM
thopper

Default RE: souping up .21 nitro engines

Different pipes move the power band around. Low speed torque mid or high. It depends on the track and application you are trying to work in.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:03 PM
pro_steve

in another thread i found that you can get superchargers but it seems pointless
Old 08-30-2005, 01:02 PM
turbo900rr

Having an engine modded is the only way to go. I run an RB Mods RB S7 and it is way faster than stock.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:27 PM
wide_open247

Pipes can make a difference. It all depends on what pipe you originaly have on your car. I put a Ofna Maxx .21 in my revo with the stock pipe and there wasn't that much power difference. But when i put the trinity high flow pipe on it gave it ten times more power. But i also was trying to put a .21 through a .15 pipe
Old 08-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Super_Dave

You can get a supercharger for about $200 and push 7 or 8 HP... probly more. The very big down side is your motor has a small chance that its going to last past a gallon of fuel though it and you need to replace the glow plug after everytime you run the engine.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:17 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: Little Stampy

You can get a supercharger for about $200 and push 7 or 8 HP... probly more. The very big down side is your motor has a small chance that its going to last past a gallon of fuel though it and you need to replace the glow plug after everytime you run the engine.

WTH are you smoking?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:28 PM
SManMTB

Just FYI I supercharger does not work well (if at all) with a tuned exhaust. Let's play with math/physics for a second....

Assume that our engines make 2.5hp at sea level. 29.7" of air pressure or around 14.6 psi.
To make 2x the horse power we need to burn (in theory) 2x as much air+fuel. You can do this by doubling the air presure. You need 14.6 psi of additional boost.
To make close to 8 hp you would need +30 psi of boost.

These superchargers you can buy do not give +30 psi of boost ---> no way to get 8 hp.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:28 AM
hyper701

http://www.storacingproducts.com/rc-...horsepower.htm check this out its ten quick tricks for more horsies
Old 09-01-2005, 03:27 AM
JJJEEEFFFFFF

Use a high quality high nitro, low oil, fuel.

i notice the most differnce when i lowered the oil content.

I dropped from 20% oil to 12% and it made a lot of difference.

do this at tyour own risk.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:36 AM
MassiveMods

all good tips ! supercharger... ive heard their results, .012 sec faster than a stock thunder tiger pro21 with decent fuel and pipe... at the track on a drag night..

so fuel is first. less oil higher nitro as said at own risk, need good tuning skills for this one.
Pipe ! most common and safe, increase in performance and fuel economy.
Carb, change to a novarossi carb and see it go much better. an engines aspiration is key to good results.
Head shim, have a look at the shims in the engine., chances are there are 2 or more. try removing the thinner one
Put car on a diet, remove all unnessisary aluminium bling, replace non stress loading parts with carbon fiber
Wheels, Buy dish wheels and cut symetrical holes in them about2cm in dia.
engine mods... , get someone to mod it and then hold on...
Old 09-01-2005, 01:39 PM
HyperDrive

massive can you give a little more info on the dish wheels and symetrical holes?
Any pics?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:11 AM
everspeed

Good observation on the fuel there JEFF. One thing you an do, but will sacrifice longevity, is get a larger cooling head. You can lean the engine more, without it running hot, but you will sacrifice some lubrication cause you have less oil in the engine also. And what JEF said. The less amount of oil, the more effecient your combustion will be, cause your engine is not having to burn a bunch of oil too. What engine are you running by the way. I know some quick tips for some of them. And for any engine, ditch the pull start if you can.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:21 AM
everspeed

I clicked on Hyper701's link. But let me warn you, I wouldn't go too far with the head shim thing. Head shims are added or removed to enhance the engine's ignition timing, according to the fuel and glow plug type you're using. These engines use compression and heat to start combustion. The more compression and heat that's present, the higher the timing will be advanced. The lower the combustion/heat, the lower, or more retarded it will be. Too far advacned and you get pre-ignition, and even a loss of power. Cause the fuel is combusting too quickly, and thus slowing the piston down before it gets to TDC. Too far retarded, and the fuel will not be burnt complete enough before it leaves through the exhaust port, and there won't be enough pressure while at TDC. You can ask alot of Force .26 owners about thir engines overheating, and not making much power. Most of the time, I'll get these people to add a few head shims, and the problem is cured.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:52 AM
JJJEEEFFFFFF

I ran a novarossi 421b with as low as 8% oil in it. The engine had 8 gallons or so through it at that point but was still in good condition. It was a bullet. There was nothing that could touch it at my track top end wise. That was with a king headz cooling head on it. But if you do that you really have to expect to blow it up. ( i was just experimenting as to what it could do). The motor still runs quiet well.

Hey anyone want to buy an engine: novarossi 421b real good nic, never been run lean, etc,etc.... [sm=lol.gif]