Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Official Buggy Clutch setup Thread: What are you using?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Official Buggy Clutch setup Thread: What are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Jerseyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Buggy Clutch setup Thread: What are you using?

Its always difficult to decide. Should I use aluminium clutches, carbon clutches.
I'm thinking of using Ferioni or RMV or SPM.
Any one has some experience with any of these? Share with us.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:02 PM
samcim

Default RE: Official Buggy Clutch setup Thread: What are you using?

Alloy clutch with 1.1 springs
Old 02-02-2007, 03:06 PM
nitroveins48

what motor you running?
ORIGINAL: Jerseyboy

Its always difficult to decide. Should I use aluminium clutches, carbon clutches.
I'm thinking of using Ferioni or RMV or SPM.
Any one has some experience with any of these? Share with us.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:29 PM
1/8racer

i like metal youget a little more speed ....only thing is that they wear out fast with 1.1 but last with 1.0
Old 02-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Norcaltruggy

I am running the Fioroni Twin Turbo clutch with the black carbon shoes. I am very impressed by this clutch, after nearly 1 gallon on the shoes they are showing very little wear, I have yet to destroy any clutch bell bearings and the clutch bites hard if you use the correct spring set up.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:05 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Right now with around 2 gallons I am still running the stock Hyper 8 shoes and springs. I have STS alloy shoes with 1.1 springs on my back up engine.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:25 PM
nacodeblue
My Feedback: (8)

I have been running an rmv speed 3 clutch, have about 6 gallons thru it with little wear and great results. Its pricey but worth it imo.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:34 PM
JDRACING

Can anyone explain the difference between stock clutches and aftermarket clutches such as Fioroni, RMV and Werks. Thank you.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:27 PM
RGX Blade

myself running "Stainless Steel" clutch shoes....
something we been trying here at RGX....
so been awhile on the Carbon and Alloy ones....BUT !!
but one thing is for sure with Alloy they will Grab and Lock so you will feel like they have more Punch...too heavy a spring and it will sound like a badly tuned Ready to Run car or truck...
carbon shoes of most kinds will always work...the "Blue Shoes" from CEN work really well with the 1.1 springs...if the track is a little "Slick" the 1.0 springs are really good....
mugen alloy shoes are always a good choice as well...
as with most Clutch set-up's will really depend on the "Stall Rate"
good way to check if your motor is close enough in tune put it up on a stand Block etc......
get it up to "Temp" , hit the throttle for just a sec...let it settle tap the brake to stop the wheels...
if the idle is pretty stable and "Low Enough" the clutch bell should not be "Moving"
if it "Wants to Move" or the wheels are still turning...Either the Idle may be "High"
a "Shoe" might be hanging up...or the spring is worn out....
for a different Senario
if when you get on the track and you hit the throttle and sounds like it hits a high pitch
almot like it wont move then all of a sudden hits....
the "Springs" may be too heavy...and try a "Lighter Spring"....
also make sure the shoes can move "Freely" if the spring is at too high an "Angle"
they will hang up when the engine gets to temp....
hope some of this can help.....
Old 02-05-2007, 11:20 PM
chumrobarge

Just installed CEN aluminum shoes with 1.1 springs, soft nobby motocross style tyres, have never used aluminum shoes or heavy springs. Anybody out there used these before? its -5 deg F outside so it might be a while before i can run it.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:53 AM
Jerseyboy

Thanks for all the info so far. I like the carbons but I find that the holes elongate and then rips the shoe broken at the hole. Aluminium is better grip but the trade off is higher engine temps, clutch bells and CB bearings that go quick.
I am thinking feriono 4 shoe or similar.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:34 AM
vti-chris

I've been using the stock hyper 7 carbon shoes on my car for two years now and more than 7 gallons and do show some wear but NOT much.
I have also noticed that the holes on the shoes tend to get bigger every time I take them off for cleaning but it's much better than the teflon shoes (white)
I haven't used alloy yet cause of the maintenance they need every race or so...!

Anyone knows what kind of springs are available for three shoe clutch?
I do know of the 0.9, 1.0 and 1.1 but wondering whether we have more options or if some are better than others?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:13 AM
dbuggyracer

i have been running two carbon and one alum with 1.1 springs on the carb and 1.0 springs on the alum and if the track has alot of traction i use two alum and one carbon.

Dennis Powers
Cen Racing
Old 02-06-2007, 04:40 PM
dicko

on my plus 21-5 i run the RMV 3 speed with 1mm springs, carbon shoes & 14T bell, it does get a bit of wear, especially on the interrnal springs (i found a spring manufacturer who makes the same springs for about 20c eash instead of the $s for the RMV ones) and the section of the shoe spring that clips onto the crank shaft does get some wear. but when well maintained this set up rocks for this engine.

for my RB s7ii i use a mugen fly wheel, 1.1 springs & carbon shoes & a 13T bell. this engine needs to rev out a bit more before the clutch engages as it has a lot less bottom end than the plus 21-5. this set up helps me get a bit more punch out of corners & before the jumps on the tighter tracks.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:05 PM
WalawalaStore

Hi,

I am using a WERKS clutch with NR PLUS 21-5T, I used it for once only and noticed that it works very good and fully adjustable. I got tired of those traditional clutch shoes and springs, difficult to install and uninstall even with proper tools. The shoes only wear very slightly after the main and wonderfully the 4 shoes can also provide a linear response, something close to 1.0mm springs with 2 composite shoes and 1 aluminum shoe. The clutch kit comes with 3 different types of springs and 3 types of shoes for your setup. I am using the black composite shoes, there are still telfon and rulon. Maintenance is simple because install and uninstall is really easy.

Regards

Joaquim
Old 03-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Jerseyboy

ORIGINAL: WalawalaStore

Hi,

I am using a WERKS clutch with NR PLUS 21-5T, I used it for once only and noticed that it works very good and fully adjustable. I got tired of those traditional clutch shoes and springs, difficult to install and uninstall even with proper tools. The shoes only wear very slightly after the main and wonderfully the 4 shoes can also provide a linear response, something close to 1.0mm springs with 2 composite shoes and 1 aluminum shoe. The clutch kit comes with 3 different types of springs and 3 types of shoes for your setup. I am using the black composite shoes, there are still telfon and rulon. Maintenance is simple because install and uninstall is really easy.

Regards

Joaquim
I just tried this clutch. I find after adjusting the nut. When driving the clucth seems to engage later evrytime. After inspection I noticed the adjuster keeps tightening itself. I used loctite on the tread. Did youhave the same problem?