Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

OS Vspec question.....here we go again

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

OS Vspec question.....here we go again

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Spool-up
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Vspec question.....here we go again

I have read all of the threads regarding the os vspec "problems". I recently bought a 1/2 gallon V spec, took the back plate off, and sure enough a circular pattern wore ever so slightly from the con rod. I have seen alot of data on here regarding the "problem",...what do you guys think about this comparison. Gallons + how severe the circular rub pattern + what type of bearings are being used.

I mean I have read posts with people saying they have gotten 10 tanks.....to 5 gallons of fuel through them before problems.

Should I sell, and go for a RB ws7III, a Ninja B01, or maybe the RB C6.....please help guys. BTW I'm running a Mugen MBX5 prospec...for what it's worth.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:34 PM
1/8racer

Default RE: OS Vspec question.....here we go again

i have an rb and i like it .....but i would get a p5.........my rb has better top but the nova has better bottom
Old 02-08-2007, 09:28 PM
JJJEEEFFFFFF

I can't imagine its worth alot if you sell it second hand. I'ld run it, make sure the clutch nut is tight, see how the bearings go. The rear bearing gets noisy when it starts to go so you have lots of warning. the v-specs are a great motor with an unfortunate question about there longevity. I had to replace the bearings in both my v-specs which is not that expensive for you guys in the US. and after that they lasted along time.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:40 PM
JDRACING

I have a Vspec and an RB C5. There is nothing wrong with the V-Spec. I put in a new pison and sleeve, rod and TKO ceramic bearings. Can't wait to fire it back up this spring. The V-Spec is better suited than the C5 for the tracks I run on. Overall, the RB is a better built engine.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:36 AM
vti-chris

I also have a brand new O.S. vz-r ver II and after 7 tanks of fuel it has those marks on the backplate...but then again my brothers v-spec has 7 Gallons of fuel with apparently more marks than mine but works fine with lots of compression and we only changed the rear bearing once at the 5 gallon mark.

If you take good care of it and use ARO and never run it lean or overheat it...it WILL LAST!!
Used with the 9853 pipe or the T2060 it will "fly" from bottom to top!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Da Smak
Banned

If you pull the crank shaft out and sldie the collet down hard against the front bearing when you fit the flywheel you'll find you don't get the marks inside the backplate.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:06 AM
vti-chris

I always do that...i pull the crankshaft against the block so that it's as far as possible from the backplate but the marks don't go away!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Da Smak
Banned

They wont, once they are there they will stay.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 AM
vti-chris

Yes i know i ment they kept "coming"!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:32 AM
RBMike

Spool-up, sell it now before you have to buy a main bearing (maybe more). Like the guy says in the thread, the OS is great, "There is nothing wrong with the V-Spec. I put in a new pison and sleeve, rod and TKO ceramic bearings. etc,etc,etc. Just get an RB WS7III or C6 & forget about it, no F*&^ing around and it will last for ages if you take good care of it.

1/8racer, If your RB does not have enough low end your running the WRONG pipe. Which RB & pipe are you using? Don't spend 250 to 350 on a motor & run a cheap pipe that will rob perfomance from your motor.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
vti-chris

If you do take good care of your engines every each one of them will last and cause you no problems.
The main bearing on the v-spec is NOT a problem.
I got 5 gallons through my first one and changed it just to be safe...there was nothing wrong with it and still have it as a spare part.
And note that these bearings aren't the ceramic ones which everybody can buy from TKO for $20.
As for the rod is only $30.

Rb rod is more than $45 and according to Rody from Rb it's best to be changed every 2-3Gallons.
I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the RB or their rods but i want to show you that some parts of the engine are ment to be changed a few times in the engines life.

If the only parts that my v-spec will need are the bearings and rod every 4-5 Gallons then let be it.(the rod on my v-spec has 7Galllons and there is no play in it or anything.
Rod failures are mostly caused by overlean conditions and long high speed runs.
A well taken care of engine will last a long time.
I've even seen people get more than 10gallons on hyper 8 port engines!!!
Old 02-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Spool-up

Some nice responses... Thanks! vti-chris, I bought a 2050 pipe for it. Comments? I have heard really good reviews on the C6 BB. I might just get it for a spare. A-main hobbies has the Hot Mod C6 BB, with pipe and header for 519.00 hmmmmm
Old 02-09-2007, 09:32 PM
claudacio
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Spool-up

Some nice responses... Thanks! vti-chris, I bought a 2050 pipe for it. Comments? I have heard really good reviews on the C6 BB. I might just get it for a spare. A-main hobbies has the Hot Mod C6 BB, with pipe and header for 519.00 hmmmmm
I recently bought a C6 BB and really had to think twice before I pulled the trigger on one of the pre mods. I have had a few pre modded engines (novarossi XR hott mod, and a EB mods vspec) and I really didnt see a whole lot of work compared to stock, especially the EB mods vspec, theres almost nothing done. I imagine this is to try and keep the engines life expectancy as close to stock as possible while still being able to call it "modded", but even the hott mod rossi wasnt all I thought it was going to be. I also have a stock XR and prefer that anyday, it actually seemed more powerful sometimes. But if you were going to go with a pre mod C6, check out RB mods (Rick Brake), they dont sell those at amain but he has them on his site for $460, and a freind from another forum seen one in action and the guy that was running it was getting 10:45 for runtime in a truggy and it had more bottom and topend than the stock version, usually you get one extreme or the other (in my experiences anyhow).

I'm not saying anything bad about the modders I've mentioned, but I'd say you will get alot more money's worth by sending the engine in having it tailored to what you want rather than buying a pre mod.

heres a link to RB mods premodded C6

https://rbmods.net/rbshop/product_in...49b9a31e908664

I'll see if I can find the EB mods Vspec/ stock Vspec comparison pics, you'd be very surprised how little is done.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Spool-up

claudacio,

I recently had a long conversation with Rick about my V Spec. I've always like RB modded engines. But I just don't wanna race in fear of the engine going south,..I really like OS tho,...used to fly them in 3D Helo, and they served me well,...but sheesh.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:08 PM
claudacio

Heres a link to that comparison, it has the new "speed" Vspec in there along side the stock and EB mods vspec.

http://www.piraterc.com/modules.php?...rticle&sid=846

Dont take this the wrong way but if you dont want to race for fear of the engine going south, than you need to pick up another hobby , J/k. But these things are made for punishment, all within the lines of proper tuning and mantenence of course. If I was worried about an engine I had blowing up, I'd either fix whatever was wrong, or I'd bolt it in for its final performance so I could justify a new one.

What was going on with your engine anyhow, I remember reading your post, it was something to do with a bearing right? Whats the deal, did you change it?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:25 PM
TriPower

It looks like "Pirate RC" (a fitting name) stole my pictures and even my post text for his own site. What a tool. The complete discussion is here: http://www.truggyracers.com/forum/in...howtopic=10414
Old 02-09-2007, 11:15 PM
claudacio

I did see at the bottom of the page it said "source: truggyracers.com, but it only linked the post to the main page of TR. I am sorry about posting that, but at least you know. He even went so far as to put his logo all over your pics.

Sorry about that man.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:01 AM
TriPower

I'm glad you found it, thanks. The Pirate, and any sponsors he finds for his site, are going to get an earfull from me about their ethics.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:49 AM
mozzzy_2000

well I guess he aint called "pirate" for nothing it would appear.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Da Smak
Banned

NOw both my V-specs have passed 15 Gallons and both have all the original parts inside, both still feel as good as new but both show their age on the outside, I guess I just break them in the way they like to be done, funny how some of my crytics done it their way and killed them within 5. Only 1 of my own engines has ever died before 10 gallons and that was a Nova Rossi 421b (my own fault really), I have broken-in in excess of 200 engines now and only 10 have failed early, but that was down to owners not maintaining filters and such.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:24 PM
claudacio

And how are you breaking these engines in? Just curious.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:29 PM
bentgear

Please oh great one, share your secrets of break in success.

Ed M.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:39 PM
vti-chris

Same here!!

I'm an O.S. fun and i would really like to know more about their "lifespan"!!
Old 02-11-2007, 02:45 AM
mozzzy_2000

I'm an O.S. fun and i would really like to know more about their "lifespan"!!
how long is a piece of string?
Old 02-11-2007, 02:53 AM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not long in the case of a V-spec [&o]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.