Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Anyone own a Ofna Ultra LX1??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 11:59 PM
oldtown72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone own a Ofna Ultra LX1??

Woops disregard the last post. Looks like it worked. That's not the pic I originaly wanted there. Here is a pic of the trimming I did for the pull start. I trimmed it so that it stays in that position while playing. It doesnt touch the pipe or the engine head. I know you guys use a starter box but I replaced a pull start within a couple of weeks. If my pull start brakes again that fast I think I will go with the Tiger Drive from Sullivan Products next.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68618.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	849667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49331.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	849668  
Old 01-13-2008, 02:20 AM
rshooch

nice pics and super clean buggy..I like the rims too..

the roto start for the hpi savage will fit with no moding also its only $35.00

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXERF2&P=7

MAKE SURE IF U GET IT TO NOT GET THE ONE FOR THE SS .28 THAT ONE IS $55.00

some people says they eat up one way bearings but i have never had a problem with that. Ive been using the same roto start on my rs4 3 evo for over 2 years
Old 01-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Cerberus90

Has anyone had anyone got a failsafe fitted?

I have a bit of a problem where when I'm going up and down the road, it'll get to a certain distance, and the fail safe cuts in. If I walk towards it, it'll go again. It doesn't seem like its at the end of its range though as it doesn't seem that far away.

It has got fresh reciever batteries (2100mAH AA rechargeables) in.

It only seems to do it once each run though.

I'm not sure if its something like a power cable under the road or some cables over the road thats causing it. Just want to see if anyone else has had any similar issues?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
oldtown72

ORIGINAL: rshooch

nice pics and super clean buggy..I like the rims too..

the roto start for the hpi savage will fit with no moding also its only $35.00

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXERF2&P=7

MAKE SURE IF U GET IT TO NOT GET THE ONE FOR THE SS .28 THAT ONE IS $55.00

some people says they eat up one way bearings but i have never had a problem with that. Ive been using the same roto start on my rs4 3 evo for over 2 years

Thanks for the compliment. I wish it looked that clean right now. I'm such a clean freak it's sickining.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:40 PM
oldtown72

I had another great day of bashing with my little brother. I managed to only break the bumper off and the antenna tube broke in half. i got to tell you guys that I am very satified buying this buggy. I was launching it off of a 3 1/2' ramp that was so intimidating looking when I got there. From the looks of it, it looked like that your buggy would go almost straight up in the air. The first 2 times I went off of it, I was very light on the throttle and that's when I broke the bumper off. Then the 3rd time I gave it some decent throttle and it took off very nice. I had read that if you let off the throttle in the air it will level out and that's exactly what happened. I was landing that buggy every time after that. My brother went off of the ramp with his Revo a little weird and landed on the front right wheel and broke the top and bottom suspension arms right in half. We managed to zip tie what was left of the arms to the shock mounts and he was able to still run. Anyway, I had a blast today and thought I would share. By the way, I think it got up to 70 degrees for a high today with no clouds. Just thought I would throw salt on the wound for you guys living in the cold country. Ha ha. j/k.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:57 PM
oldtown72

ORIGINAL: Cerberus90

Has anyone had anyone got a failsafe fitted?

I have a bit of a problem where when I'm going up and down the road, it'll get to a certain distance, and the fail safe cuts in. If I walk towards it, it'll go again. It doesn't seem like its at the end of its range though as it doesn't seem that far away.

It has got fresh reciever batteries (2100mAH AA rechargeables) in.

It only seems to do it once each run though.

I'm not sure if its something like a power cable under the road or some cables over the road thats causing it. Just want to see if anyone else has had any similar issues?
Is you antenna out at the proper length? I guess another good failsafe to get is from Venom. That OFNA failsafe doesnt always work that great from what I've been hearing. My Spektrum transmitter has a built in failsafe but I went out of range a couple weeks ago and it took off at full throttle. I was lucky that there was not much gas left in the tank and it died. Aparently I need to read the manual and redo it.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:08 PM
jaws1

hey all, another ultra lx-1 user here, love the buggy

what diff oil would you recommand for all three, its only for bashing, maybe race in the future, getting fed up with front tyre balloning up

so far i ve upgraded the front steering knuckles to CNC, 6v 1600mah hump battery, crimefighters tyres and lightweight dish wheels, 14kg steering servo, failsafe
Old 01-14-2008, 12:13 PM
jaws1

you said you got 2100mah battery in it, is it 6v or 4.8v, i would take it to 6v so receiver reception will be a little bit stronger
Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 PM
oldtown72

I have 5-7-3 silicone in the diffs. That's all I do is bash and I'm happy with the way it ran over the weekend. Hope this helps. The CNC knuckles are on my list of goodies as well. Nice to hear from you jaws1
Old 01-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Cerberus90

ORIGINAL: jaws1

you said you got 2100mah battery in it, is it 6v or 4.8v, i would take it to 6v so receiver reception will be a little bit stronger
Were you talking to me?

If so, I have 2100mAH AA batteries, which are something like 1.2v I think. so thats 4x1.2=4.8v.

I think I'm going to get a 6v pack after my birthday.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:12 PM
gangstzer

Hi guys. I got a offer on my jato 3.3 for a OFNA LX COMP II and I wanted to know if u guys think I should do it or not? The buggy is brand spankin new.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:28 PM
oldtown72

gangstzer, I am very happy with my LX1. This is my first RC vehicle though. The Force 28 engine has been very reliable and the buggy can take some serious abuse. I don't race mine and from what I have read, it doesn't make a good racing buggy. On that note, OFNA has several other models that would make great racers. If your looking for a basher that can fly off big jumps and buzz around construction sites then I would totally recomend the ultra series buggies.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 PM
gangstzer

Yea they look very nice and durable. I guess I will stick to raceing my savage then lol
Old 01-14-2008, 06:37 PM
jaws1

Were you talking to me?

If so, I have 2100mAH AA batteries, which are something like 1.2v I think. so thats 4x1.2=4.8v.

yeah i was lol, i think i clicked reply instead of quote

another thing with 6v, you ll get a quicker response

yeah i was, i clicked reply instead of quote, sorry my bad, anyway your servos will react better when you install 6v hump pack, quicker response
Old 01-14-2008, 06:41 PM
jaws1

ORIGINAL: gangstzer

Hi guys. I got a offer on my jato 3.3 for a OFNA LX COMP II and I wanted to know if u guys think I should do it or not? The buggy is brand spankin new.
if i were you i ll keep the jato 3.3 and save up for a new ultra lx1 as the older lx comp 2 has a weaker front knuckles
Old 01-14-2008, 06:50 PM
jaws1

ORIGINAL: oldtown72

I have 5-7-3 silicone in the diffs. That's all I do is bash and I'm happy with the way it ran over the weekend. Hope this helps. The CNC knuckles are on my list of goodies as well. Nice to hear from you jaws1
thanks, i m gonna follow your diff oil setup, that is what i had in mind at the first place, i m glad people are taking interest in the ultra lx1, it may not be the best buggy out of all but it surely beats the value of money consiring its specs

i will be making a few mods to this buggy to make it even better without spending alot of money
Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM
jaws1

ORIGINAL: psiturbo

I dont know about you but I drove mine like it was stolen and made 8 to 10m feet jumps on it. At the beginning it was fine and I had a good time, but after a few months the rear bulkhead started to give up and the rear brace bent again and again.

The OFNA is a bashing buggy so it must be made to take the beating and that rear brace does not do the job.

If you say so, well lucky you and I respect that, for some reason ALL and I mean ALL buggies have a REAL brace, not some cheapo flange bolted to plastic.

Hey, its not my money, don't say here on the forums you were not told about this POS.

Keep the rubber side down...
thanks for the photos of the rear braces, i will be doing that, i was wondering, i can put a longer brace from the top of the rear suspension plate all the way down to the buggy s chassis, i was thinking traxxas revo suspension pushrod as it comes with ball joints at both end, that will make it stiffer, i think i ll do what you did and add another longer brace
Old 01-14-2008, 09:21 PM
gangstzer

ORIGINAL: gangstzer

if i were you i ll keep the jato 3.3 and save up for a new ultra lx1 as the older lx comp 2 has a weaker front knuckles
How is 1 newer than 2............!?!?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:52 AM
rshooch

the ulx1 is the newest verson thay ar all based of the same chassis with minor diferance the ulx1 has the c hub front vs the older model that has a king pin set up not as durable. plus the ulx1 has the jammin shocks and set up.

the rear brace and plate made my buggy alot stiffer than stock as the brace makes it just as any other brace on a buggy..

as oldtown said run 7000wt,5000wt,and 3000wt dif oil and you will notice a night and day diferance in handling and launches.

oldtown just take a small pice of fuel tubbing 1/2 inch and fix your antenna tube with it that way next time u flip it will just bend insteed of break.

and welcome to the the thread jaws1
Old 01-15-2008, 01:55 AM
rshooch

ORIGINAL: rshooch

cool pic of my son(3years old) holing my buggy.. he picked it up and brought it to me and said daddy can we drive this today. gotta love kids

if you look close you can see green fuel tube on mine..

sorry pic didnt transfer pic is on page 3..
Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Cerberus90

Were you talking to me?

yeah i was lol, i think i clicked reply instead of quote

another thing with 6v, you ll get a quicker response

yeah i was, i clicked reply instead of quote, sorry my bad, anyway your servos will react better when you install 6v hump pack, quicker response
Hopefully when I upgrade some stuff I should be getting a new steering servo too.

Unfortunatly here in the UK I can't seem to find anywhere that sells the upgraded rear brace. Seems to be quite a few bits that you guys in America can get that we can't get over here.

Do you lot think it would be wise to put cable ties on the cooling head? I see rshooch has some on his but no one else does, is it worth it, does it provide that much protection?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 PM
LX1Guy

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

Is the metal thicker than the stock piece? Looks like you need to get to cleaning

Well I have a few things to say about this Starter Box of mine (I think it may just be a box as the "starting" part has yet to be seen)
I had the mounts set near to perfect and set the buggy on it, and let her rip.. Turns out the wheel was turning the wrong direction. Easy fix, just switch the connections on the motor. Try # Two.. Line the buggy up and push it down (this starts the wheel if you didn't know), and I get a bunch of rubber particles going every direction[:@] I figured it was rubbing the chassis but after looking again it was hitting the flywheel spot on. I guess the engine is just to tight and the starter doesn't have enough power to get it to turn over (this was using a 12 volt batt).

I think my option is to break it in with the pull start and hope that the box works after this. And I thought a Starter Box was going to make things go quicker.. Any one have any tips on this? This is my first starter box...
Since no one answered this for you. The Force .28 that comes stock with a pull start has a one way bearing inside of the pull start to stop it from spining. So when you tried to use your starter box it went against this bearing and started tearing up your rubber wheel. To fix this order a non pull start back plate and get rid of your pull start and that one way bearing. In the end it will go faster and be much easier to start with the box.
By the way I also own an ultra lx 1 and love it. Thing actually performs at the club races right there with the guys that went out and bought the Losi 8 and others. They cant believe I own one of these and can even keep up with them.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:19 PM
oldtown72

Thanks for the fuel tube idea. Here is another idea for you guys. I used double sided 3M foam tape(Red one)to attach the reciever to the underside of the battery/rec box lid. I zip tied some wires together and it really cleaned up the little space in there. It makes it easier to get the battery in and out without having to mess with all those wires and the receiver. Just an idea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69449.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	852192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92537.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	852193  
Old 01-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 6 year old son is running a Ultra LX One with several CNC upgrades

So far, the only big problem has been the rear bevel gear. I replaced it with a hardened one and no more problems so far http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBZD2&P=SM

The Ofna .28 engine is still going very strong and it is amazingly fast. Actually, is way too fast for my son...... Just keep the air filter as clean as you can, check the running temperature, use after run oil for the engine before storing the buggy and you should have an engine that lasts a long time.

Maybe is not the best racing buggy, but with some tuning, is actually not a bad one.

Another week point could be the use of E-Clips, but just add some silicone or shoe goe and problem fixed.

Check also the drive cups. The drive cups sometimes comes loose and starts wobbling around on the pinion shaft, then the bearings start moving around. Pretty soon the friction of it all melt the case and eat up the end of the pinion shaft. You can grind the point off the set screw so it will have better contact with the pinion shaft.

No other problems to report.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:35 PM
oldtown72

Gonzalo38, that's a nice LX1. How is the JP-2 working out for you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.