Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

My first nitro buggy - fuel & glow plug options?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

My first nitro buggy - fuel & glow plug options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:48 AM
pullpete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first nitro buggy - fuel & glow plug options?

Hi, i'm getting my first nitro buggy for Xmas, the Hyper 7 TQ sport.

After doing a bit of research, I understand there is a vast amount of options when it comes to glow plugs and fuel. Its hard for a begginer to find a difinitive guide as to whats what (from what i can find) and reading it in 'drips n drabs' just leaves me confused!

So, from what i know so far:

Fuel
- Generally for nitro cars/buggies you should use anything in the range of 16%-30%
- Either the greater the nitro content the hotter the engine runs, or visa versa (i've read contradicting information)

Glow plugs
- Am i right in thinking a glow plug is the equivilant of a spark plug in a larger engine?
- You can get various heat rating of plugs, 3 (hottest) to 8 (coolest)

I understand that these two elements to a nitro engine play a large role in how it runs, but im not sure whats best for my buggy and its engine. Hopefully someone can advise me whats best to use.

i will be running it in with O Donnell 20% fuel. What rating glow plug comes as standard with the hyper 7 engine?

Many thanks in advance
Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: My first nitro buggy - fuel & glow plug options?

O'Donnell is a good fuel just make sure you get the Race blend and not the R2R! I would think that the instruction manual that comes with the kit will tell you recommended glow plugs. I would guess a medium plug.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:44 AM
pullpete

Just checked my fuel bottle and it is indeed R2R fuel.... whats so bad about this as opposed to race blend?

The instructions with the car give no info in glow plugs - just assembly instructions and running in the engine really

The glow plug that came with the car is a 7 (or cool plug), but i also got a spare medium plug with my starter kit. With air temps on average 5C at the moment, would it be best to run the engine in using the medium plug and until spring time?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
pullpete

Can anyone answer the above?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM
SManMTB

It just got more oil in it. Nothing wrong with that at all IMO. Makes the tuning more forgiving at a minor loss of power.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:18 PM
46u

This only confirms what I have experienced.
Why 8% to 12% Oil

Using high oil content fuels in gas car engines won't provide improved engine life, as some would expect. Through extensive testing we've discovered the point of diminishing return as far as oil content to engine life is actually around 8% for most car engines. In other words any more oil than 8% in the fuel does noting to improve the life of a car engine. In fact the secondary effects of high oil content fuels can actually cause engine damage by encouraging over lean runs. Here's how.

Using high oil content fuel causes a car engine to be unresponsive during acceleration acting as if the engine were running rich. Typically when using high oil content fuel, in order to get crisp acceleration and response, an engine will need to be adjusted overly lean. In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.

In summary, high oil content fuels don't give added protection. The point of diminishing return from a protection standpoint in a gas car application is about 8% oil depending on the oil type and engine. Anymore oil than this doesn't offer added protection and has potential secondary effects that reduce performance and can actually cause you to over lean your engine in an attempt to get crisp throttle response and acceleration
Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 PM
46u

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore/...ArticleID=1385
http://www.racewayatv.com/rc-car/rc-...-car-fuel.html
Old 12-16-2008, 05:52 AM
tommygun32

A glow plug is similar to a spark plug in looks, but that's where it stops.

Glow plugs are continuously on, unlike spark plugs that "spark" the combustion in the piston. Much like a diesel engine really.

If you're running in 5c weather, I'd go with ultra hot or possibly hot.

Here in Dubai where the weather is currently hovering at mild 20c's we're all pretty much using 3 or 4 rated glow plugs. It's only in the summer months when the temperature starts moving up towards high 30's to mid and high 40's that we start running the colder plugs.

Also the colder it gets, the less oxygen in the air and the richer you'll want your engine.