Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

1/8 Brushless Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 PM
DanielT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 Brushless Kits?

I know there's not much out there in 1/8th electric yet... but are there any 1/8th brushless or brushless-ready kits? I'd prefer to build it myself, rather than go for a RTR, but I'm not that fond of the nitro conversion route.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:30 PM
HandyRacing

Default RE: 1/8 Brushless Kits?

Most folks buy a roller of choice, still...

I'm biased for the mountings from www.RCProductDesigns.com (we race with that equipment).

Castle will soon have 1/8 scale rated ESC / motor combos available.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 PM
riverat1540

i suggest www.rc-monster.com great products and even better support
Old 12-14-2008, 08:57 PM
HandyRacing

Yes, but we race with the fellow who also runs RCPD.

Our Jammin CRT.5 has an RCM motor mount, very nice fit feel and finish (too).
Old 12-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Snaut Rocket

theres a thread right below this one on the same subject.
Check out caster racing.
They make nice brushless kits also and rtr.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:28 PM
rschoi_75

I gotta say both rcpd and rc-monster make great stuff. Both are owned by stand up guys. I've pieced together rides with parts from both shops, and have always received great customer service from both companies. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:41 PM
DanielT

I've seen the Caster Racing Fusion, and I do like that as a solution. However I can't seem to find either an all-inclusive build-it-yourself, OR a kit that wouldn't end up costing more than the RTR once the ESC/motor/receiver/servo is added. Maybe I'm just not seeing it on their site...

The problem [for me] going the conversion route is I'm entering completely unfamiliar territory where I have to make a few too many of my own decisions - I've only worked on nitros before, but haven't been keeping up on what's good lately. So I have to find a good roller that won't kill the bank, then an appropriate conversion kit... motor... ESC... batteries... servo...

Anyone make an EB4 conversion? :-)
Old 12-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Snaut Rocket

the fusion sport is only 299 thats preety good in my book
Old 12-15-2008, 09:34 AM
vnmsgt

The Fusion RTR is out now too at right $500. All you need is batteries.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:40 PM
DanielT

Hard to know what to go for.

I don't know what kind of quality the ESC/motor/servo is in the RTR version of the Fusion, and whether it's worth the ~$250 more... or if that money should be spent on alternatives. A sport with a good quality but still economical ESC/motor/servo and re-using my existing transmitter would still be about $130 more than the RTR.

If I do it myself...

ESC - Mamba Monster
Motor - Medusa 36x60 2000kv
Servo - Hitec HS-985MG
Transmitter/receiver - Existing Hitec Aggressor CTX - would this work with brushless?
Batteries - 2x Maxamps 6500mah 7.4V
Charger/balancer - absolutely no idea right now.

Thoughts? Also what else is needed... pinion gear? Wiring harness for putting the batteries in series? What other nitty gritty things I'm forgetting?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: DanielT

Hard to know what to go for.

I don't know what kind of quality the ESC/motor/servo is in the RTR version of the Fusion, and whether it's worth the ~$250 more... or if that money should be spent on alternatives. A sport with a good quality but still economical ESC/motor/servo and re-using my existing transmitter would still be about $130 more than the RTR.

If I do it myself...

ESC - Mamba Monster
Motor - Medusa 36x60 2000kv
Servo - Hitec HS-985MG
Transmitter/receiver - Existing Hitec Aggressor CTX - would this work with brushless?
Batteries - 2x Maxamps 6500mah 7.4V
Charger/balancer - absolutely no idea right now.

Thoughts? Also what else is needed... pinion gear? Wiring harness for putting the batteries in series? What other nitty gritty things I'm forgetting?
The Fusion Sport is exactly the same but no electrics. The Motor and ESC on the Fusion RTR are made by Hobbywing. They are actually pretty decent. The ESC looks like a mamba Monster with a built in cooling fan.

I have a sport Fusion and run almost identical what you want to. I have a Mamba Monster with a Medusa and Hitec 645mg servo with airtronics M11 radio/spektrum reciever. Yes the radio you want will should work fine. Nothing special for a radio to run brushless with. I am currently not running Lipos. I have 2 NIMH matched 4600's and they work good for now.

The Fusion Sport already comes with a Pinion, motor mount, servo arm etc. Only thing you need is to make a adapter to run batteries in series which takes about 10 minuts. the wires on the Medusa are a little short and may need to lengthen them to make the reach without pulling some.
Let me know if you are interested in a fusion. I can get you a good deal on one.