Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Help I am New and Confused RC8RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:07 AM
powers900

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help I am New and Confused RC8RS

I have narrowed it down and I will be purchasing the RC8RS by associated. The problem I am running into is my local hobby shop has one however it has a white body. All of the other rc8rs that I have seen online have a black body. The local hobby shop has it on sale for $475.00 which is a great deal and the black body is all I can find only for no less than $529.00. My question? Is there a diffrence from the one with the white body vs. the one with the black body. Why can't I find the white body online. I am kind of suspicious about the white body at the local hobby shop. Thoughts?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:33 AM
tommygun32

Default RE: Help I am New and Confused RC8RS

Hmmm...I don't have experience with Losi so off the top of my head, I can't give you an informed answer. However, if it's at all possible, why don't you put the two cars side by side and compare them without the body on it. If they're the same, go for the one with the white shell. You'll be able to see it better, especially if you ever race at night under the lights.

Another thought, if they're coming with a radio or servos, check to see if there's a difference between what's offered with the two models.

Honestly though, if you're already having doubts about your LHS and you haven't even bought anything yet.......that's not the greatest start or introduction to this amazing sport. Are there any other LHS's around you?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:54 AM
powers900

This is the problem that I am facing the local hobby shop only has the white shelled one. They do not carry the one with the black shell. I have only seen it in black online only. The price is whats concerning. I am wondering if the white body is an older version. At this point I am unable to compare both of them side by side. This stuff can get pretty confusing. Any recommendations would be great. I am looking to spend no more than $550 and I definately want something RTR.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:49 AM
jonnymac

I've had a quick look and can't find a white one either, though thats not suprising as all websites use the same digital images from associated. If you can find a link post it, otherwise I would write down (or print) the spec off horizons website and take it to the shop to compare. If the spec is the same then go for it as i haven't seen one at that price either.
I would imagine that if the white one is indeed an RC8RS then there won't be a problem.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:58 AM
tommygun32

Agree with jonnymac....also most sites will let you print a spec sheet directly or just copy and paste the details in a word doc to make things easy.....wait a minute!!! This is RC help, not IT help...
Old 12-16-2008, 11:31 AM
TRIPPLE A STRONG
Banned

the white one is the rtr the other one is a pro kit thats the diffrence
Old 12-16-2008, 11:41 AM
jonnymac

Here is this the one? [link=http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2989]White body[/link]
If so it looks pretty much the same as this [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/383281.asp]black one[/link]
Old 12-17-2008, 03:15 AM
tommygun32

It looks like there are no differences between the two models jonnymac has posted.

I'd grab the the deal with the white shell.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:03 AM
powers900

Jonnymack Yes thats the one. Thanks for doing the research. Curiosity got the best of me and I called my local hobby store this morning for an explanation. The guy that ansewred the phone was the owner. He said that he can order it with a black shell or a white shell and they are both the same. He said that he just ordered all of his stock in white.

While I was on the phone we got to talking and he sounded like he knew a great deal about his products. He actually recommend the LOSI 8 over the associated. He explained that he races a lot and he and all of his buddies use the LOSI brand. His main selling point was based off of two things. The first was he said at the local track LOSI comes in 1st 2nd and 3rd for the most part and that he felt is was a better car over associated. He didnt bash associated though. He also said that he would sell me the LOSI for $575.00 and that its a better product due to getting a spectrum radio over the radio from associated. He explained that the $100.00 of extra spent money was well worth it as there is no comparason between the two diffrent radios. He said the radio that comes with the LOSI takes the cake hands down.

I have read a few post about the LOSI 8 and seems like is has more negative comments than the RC8RS. People keep explaining that they had to pour quite of bit more money into the LOSI very quickly. To me is sounds like the LOSI is the better deal however the RC8RS has fewer problems.

Im not sold on one or the other yet as there seams to be pros and cons no matter what I decide to go with. If you were spending the money which one would you go with and why. Sorry I am just new at this and I dont want to make the wrong choice. Thanks for all of the help.

My gut is telling me go with associated but I am easily upsold when something is that much better.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:38 AM
jonnymac

They are both good cars for a start.
I wouldn't worry about what takes the 1st, 2nd and 3rd at the track. I bet if you go down there at least half the people will be using losi.
There are a few things to take into account, with the radio being one. Yes it is better though the RC8 has an FM unit so its not as bad as it could be. Engines are on a par with each other.
The $100+ dollar difference takes that into account.
I would buy the one you like most as there would be little difference in real terms other than the radio.
The losi can have problems with premature wear and a LOT of people have difficulty setting the throttle servo so it doesn't burn out.
If it was my money I'd take the RC8RS but that is just because i prefer it rather than anything.
Your £100+ dollars saving could go towards the radio later or if you have no problems with the FM unit you could put it into a decent .21 engine. You will pour money into this hobby anyway so don't think once you have bought this thats it

At the end of the day its your choice and I think either will do what you want from it.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:08 PM
powers900

Excellent feed back. I am leaning towards the associated RC8RS. looking at the specs and pictures between both brands it seams like the losi may be built a little better however my gut is telling me the RC8RS as many people have not had bad things to say about it.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:32 PM
bigwill5686

If your thinkin losi wait for the 2.0 to come out, it fixes all the problems that the losi has now that everyone is upgrading
Old 12-19-2008, 12:36 PM
JsK

Unless you are 100% commited to getting an RTR right now I would wait and build a Team Kit over the winter. You will end
up spending more in the long run to make an RTR kit reliable and competetive. As far as the Black vs White RC8rs I believe that
there may be a band difference for the FM RX systems, the black one is 26mhz so I would assume the white cars come with the
72mhz ones.

Neither of these come specd well for racing, in the end you will end up replacing the engines, servos, tires and wheels, body(RTR body
screams NOOB)and buying a starter box. Might as well just do it once right and be done with it. Personally I perfer the RC8 so that is
what I would recommend if you have your heart set on one. I just figured it out a while back for another person on this forum and
I am into my RC8rs for about 200.00 more than if I had just bought a Team Kit in the first place.