Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Hyper 7 TQ RTR will not start. Please Help???

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Hyper 7 TQ RTR will not start. Please Help???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:06 PM
jr6rules
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyper 7 TQ RTR will not start. Please Help???

I got my Hyper 7 Black TQ RTR two weeks ago and I have not been able to start it. I'm getting extremely frustrated with it. I printed the break-in instructions and have followed them to the tee as well as slightly deviated in order to try to get it to run. The best it's done so far is run for about 3 seconds at a time but it will not stay running. I already broke the pull cord and replaced it with the backplate starter so now I use my drill. I've replaced the pllug two times and made sure my igniter is working. What am I missing? Is it a Hyper engine thing? I have noticed a lot of fuel shooting out of somewhere towards the back of the engine. I thought it was coming out of the air filter but I'm thinking it's coming from the head of the eninge somewhere.

Please help before I decide to sell off.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 PM
nissan300ztt

Default RE: Hyper 7 TQ RTR will not start. Please Help???

Ok you might have a bad glow plug. Ive gotten brand new bad glow plugs. As well make sure your fully primed. And also raise your idle speed. It might be closed a little too much. Calm down and relax. Its probably one of these 3 issues.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:32 PM
jonnymac

Ok stay calm.
Firstly you need to check where this fuel is coming from.
You need to understand the basics when it comes to these engines and there is no substitute for reading around these forums.
When you get a new buggy, the engines are set VERY rich. so rich in fact the engines don't want to run properly.
As you have been trying to start it you may have flooded the engine and this is seeping out somewhere.
Firstly clean all round the engine thoroughly, and check all fuel lines for leaks etc. If you think it may be coming from the head cheak your head bolts are tight. Once you are happy the engine is pretty much as you bought it then you can start.
Reset all the needles to factory defaults (in the manual). Pop the air filter off and check the gaps are set correctly on the carb (manual again)
As they are set very rich lean the HSN (high speed needle) 1/8th turn clockwise
Now lean off the low speed needle 1/12th turn and try to start it. If it doesn't work turn an extra 1/12th turn. It shouldn't be long before the engine starts. the low speed needle generaly detrmines how the engine will run at idle, whilst the high speed needle takes over when on the move.

Also a good way of getting new engines running is to drop a few drops of fuel in the carb to suck thru fuel from the fuel line (does the same as putting your finger over the pipe and pulling, but better for noobs). Don't forget to replace it when you run the buggy.

New engines can be very frustrating for new users and only experience will make it easier in the future. Just don't get angry, persevere and if all else fails take it back to factory settings and start again. Once it is broken in it will start a LOT easier
Old 12-16-2008, 12:59 PM
jr6rules

Thank you. I will try this tonight. I have the engine off now so cleaning it should be a simple task. Then I'll reinstall it and turn the needles as you say.

One more question: What's a good plug to use? It says it requires Long plugs.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2008, 01:25 PM
nissan300ztt

I USE OS LC3s on my hyper 21 I believe. And it works ok get good temps.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:26 PM
jonnymac

Hyper engines require long plugs, though will run on O.S. type short ones.
McCoys number 8 (medium) i found to be quite good.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:08 PM
romax

One more suggestion is to remove the glow plug & spin engine to make sure it is not flooded. Put a towel over the head as you spin engine & see if it gets fuel on it. It prob. isn't flooded now since you've had engine off , but i would ck. I"ve had to remove plugs to clear fuel on new engines several times. Breaking in new engines can be frustrating but once you get it going you will forget about the problems.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:48 AM
jr6rules

ORIGINAL: jonnymac

Reset all the needles to factory defaults (in the manual). Pop the air filter off and check the gaps are set correctly on the carb (manual again)
As they are set very rich lean the HSN (high speed needle) 1/8th turn clockwise
Now lean off the low speed needle 1/12th turn and try to start it. If it doesn't work turn an extra 1/12th turn. It shouldn't be long before the engine starts. the low speed needle generaly detrmines how the engine will run at idle, whilst the high speed needle takes over when on the move.
Amazing! This is completely different than OFNA's website of how to break in the engine and it worked like a charm. I reset the needles to factory default, set them like you reccomended and almost immediately it started and stayed running. Thank you very much jonnymac.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:11 AM
jonnymac

No problem. Glad you're up and running
Old 12-17-2008, 02:28 PM
nissan300ztt

Gotta love the english they have answers to everything. wink wink.....DAMN ENGLISH...lol j/k