Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

New hyper 7 wont start did all checks.

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

New hyper 7 wont start did all checks.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 AM
airwave1007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New hyper 7 wont start did all checks.

Ok I am not the first or the last but I have a major issue I have 3 Hyper 7's to break in before Xmas as they are presents for my cousins who's father is in hospital.

I have read many of the break in procedures and the one that came with the Hyper 7's

1. I charged all batteries fully
2. Primed engine made sure fuel was flowing to carb before inserting glow plug
3. Pre Heated engine with hair dryer not that cold here but thought would be a good idea.
4. Then inserted glow starter
5. Finally pulled cord many times but not a single sign of firing whatsoever.

This procedure was done on two cars and both with same result. Now the one thing I did notice was did a glowplug test on the starter and i glowed a bright orange and think it should glow white but could not be sure of that. Apart from that I am at my wits end as their mother is at me and going to see the father in hospital and I know there will only be one question have i got the cars sorted.

Please I know all of you have had experience with this so any help would be great. I would take them to a local shop but there is none in the area closest is 2 hours away.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:18 AM
ranger1
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: New hyper 7 wont start did all checks.

well the glow starter should be orange. i was going to say if you have a starter box you could have accidently wired it wrong making the motor spin backwards. also what fuel are you using and how old is it? make sure that you have the high and low needel setting at where the manual tells you. also make sure that your carb is open a little bit. could also be a glow plug. just listing what i have came across. and one more thing are you hearing any noise when you pull the starter. like do you know that its hooked up right? is there any tension?
Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All good ideas above, but I emphasis....use your radio trim to open the carb more than the idle stop setting. Be ready to close carb quickly in case you've opened them too far. You don't want an engine screaming when cold.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:55 AM
airwave1007

I have brand new Tornado 25% fuel. Funny you mention the trim I had the car switched on and on the floor and just in full trim setting the car still has a bit of resistance as if break is still slightly on and i can push the trim any further out with remote. So I put in a bit of paper on remote just so that it is slightly further out and no resistance. Yes when i pull the cord the cord has plenty of resistance my hand and knuckles are proof of that. I also undid the glowplug slightly to lessen compression this did make it damp (fuel) on one of the cars around the plug. I have looked at vids on you tube read posts here am depressed lol. I thought I had done everything possible to get this right.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:31 AM
ranger1
My Feedback: (32)

if you have any after run put 2 or 3 drops in the engine. i will start easier. also make sur you prime it. but no to much. maybe try leaning it out 1/4 of a turn?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 AM
jonnymac

Try [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8251495/tm.htm]here[/link].
It was only on page two you could have had a look at teh first few pages at least!
Anyway this should sort you out
Old 12-24-2008, 02:05 AM
tommygun32

OK airwave...if none of that works, try this.

Set the needles to factory setting
Fill tanks with fuel
Remove the glow plug
Stand your car on it's side with the left wheels flat on ground
Give the pull start cord about 10 - 12 short quick pulls to make sure cylinder is empty of fuel
Now with your thumb, press down on the rubber tube of the airfilter covering the carb hole to seal it closed
Give the pull start cord a couple of short quick pulls until you see/feel drops of fuel coming out of the glow plug hole
Put car back on all four wheels
re-install the glow plug but leave it just a bit loose
Turn transmitter on, turn car on
Attach glow plug igniter
Try and start the car

If it starts and runs, leave the glow plug igniter on for an extra couple of seconds. Then remove and tighten the glow plug down to wrist tight.

This was my "fail-safe" method I employed when starting my 1st buggie. I don't use pull starts anymore for reasons I'm sure you now know....just look at your hand[]

Good luck and let us know how you fare mate....

Old 12-24-2008, 02:18 AM
tommygun32

Airwave....

Another though i just had. If ALL ELSE FAILS....[:@]

Adapt to the situation....get the kids involved in the break in procedure. They are obviously not too young as they are getting some powerful bit of kit for Christmas. It will help their understanding of these cars a lot more in the long run as well. Who knows...[&:]...maybe THEY'LL be able to sort the cars out....
Old 12-24-2008, 05:57 PM
airwave1007

Well never got a chance to try any of the methods as was in hospital all day getting brother in law sorted and good news he is home for Christmas.

So looks like I will be trying to break them in over the next couple of days with the boys , oh the pressure of it all!

I would like to say thanks to you all again as usual it just amazes me how well these communities work. Fingers crossed i will be back on soon to tell you all how it was all a success.

So have a great Christmas and a Happy Healthy New Year!

All the best from Ireland!
Old 12-24-2008, 11:31 PM
tommygun32

Excellent news Airwave. Nothing better than having the family back together for the Holidays man. Don't worry about the pressure. Get the kids to help. It'll be fun and teach them some patience...[:@]...LOL. Much more rewarding for them in the long run.