Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Losi 8ight RTR 427 problems please help!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Losi 8ight RTR 427 problems please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 03:55 AM
JBthatsME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi 8ight RTR 427 problems please help!!!

So I got the RTR Losi 8ight and I have not been able to break in the engine. I started the buggy with the stock settings and it worked for maybe 1 min than died. It did this over and over. So the only way I could get it to start agian was to make the low end super rich and high end lean. And of course it would not let the carb open more than 25% without dieing. I put the 427 motor back to the stock settings which is 2.5 turns from bottom for low and high and not it wont start with those settings anymore. Does anyone have any idea how many turns the neddles need to have ideally? It is fustrating. Or even a good starting point because I thought the stock settings was a good starting point and it wont even start with that. It has a brand new os glow plug in which I am certin that it works and I am pretty sure its not flooded or I think. Im not too sure how to tell if it is flooded.
****If anyone with this engine wants to enlight me with some knowledge for a noob it would be a ass saver for me!
Oh and I am using 20% fuel.
-J.B.

PS> Thanks for the help rc universer's

Old 12-28-2008, 04:02 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Losi 8ight RTR 427 problems please help!!!

You may just need to increase your idle.

Put the needles back to stock settings - maybe lean the HSN half a turn or so. If it won't stay running, I generally increase the idle - not crazy high.. Just enough so it keeps running. New engines can be kind of a PIA. But the Mach is an awesome engine, so once you get over this initial hump you should be alright..

To increase the idle just a bit, screw (in, I think..) the little idle needle just a tad. Keep doing that til it idles normally..

When you take the filter off and turn the car and radio on, is there a little 1mm gap in the carb??
Old 12-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Timberman

If you ran it very rich like you said your glow plug may be toast. Try changing that as well.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:11 AM
JBthatsME

I put a new os glow plug in. I pulled it out and tested it and it does work fine. Now I can't get it to fire up at all! Never had this much trouble with either one of my .12 on-road rtr motors.

****there is a 1 mm gap in carb

-jb
Old 12-28-2008, 10:46 AM
HerrSavage

Lean your HSN half a turn.. And make sure you're giving it gas as you try to start it. Leave the ignitor on once started for a few seconds.. Just mess with it - it'll come around.. The settings are probably just way too rich to keep it running. Could also try opening the idle a tad more even.. Then lean it down a bit, and close the idel back down. That's what I would do..
Old 12-28-2008, 12:34 PM
JBthatsME

Thanks for all the help guys. Got it up and running! Now I need to tune the beast! The RTR 8 comes with a throw away glow lighter and crap glow plug, well at least mine was faulty. New lighter and it works! Also I do not like this ez start shaft start crap either. What do I need to get this engine on starter box??? And is the losi starter box any good??? Plus what kinda batteries are you guys putting in them?
-J.B.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:57 PM
HerrSavage

Part number SWK8057. Google it and or look at amain or ebay or wherever you like to shop.. I have that on my Mach too...
Old 12-28-2008, 01:15 PM
JBthatsME

I thought you needed lower motor mounts too?? What kind of starter box are you using HerrSavage and are you running the 8ight?
-J.B.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:00 PM
buglite62

Yes you have to buy the kit engine mounts or the 427 sits to high.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:03 PM
buglite62

I bought the ofna chrome top for mine but would have been easier to get the losi box. I've got 3 gals of racing on my 427 still running strong, just sucks the nitro. I get about 6 min max on 30% running at 250-260.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:55 PM
JBthatsME

So I just put the 2nd tank of gas through and the temp stays between 208 and 220f but I have not gave it full throttle yet is this bad? And once you get it tuned does it seem to stay tuned on the .26 motors. I ask cause I have only tuned .12's?

Is carbon fiber parts stronger than the parts on the losi 8 rtr or just lighter cause I wanted to order some new shock towers in carbon fiber and a carbon fiber radio tray.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:55 PM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: JBthatsME

I thought you needed lower motor mounts too?? What kind of starter box are you using HerrSavage and are you running the 8ight?
-J.B.

I have the SMD box. Yeah, you need different engine mounts. That's normal though, unfortunately...