Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

shock oil and after run oil and shocks in general

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

shock oil and after run oil and shocks in general

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
ace9213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock oil and after run oil and shocks in general

Okay I need to refill my shocks will oil. They are really soft and sag. I would like to stiffen them up pretty good. I have never done shock oil yet so I need help decided what weight to choose. The track I go to has alot of sharp turns which doesn't involve much speed at all. What weight would be good for a track with many hard turns? Also, when filling the shocks do I fill it to the tippy top? Or leave some room left in there? Should I use different weights in the rear then the front? What does the different shock weights mean?

Also for after run oil what is a good brand? Or will just any do? I read somewhere to put around 4 drops in the carb and 4 in the head? Is this correct?

And I have a question about spring stiffness and size. What advantages does a stiff spring have over a soft one? And vis-versa? Is it an important to upgrade the springs? Does having a stiffer spring mean you can use lower shock oil weight? Also I see buggies with springs on them that don't have many coils at all. I noticed my stock hyper 7 has about twice as many coils. What does that exactly mean?

What is the different between 14mm and 16mm big bore shocks. My hyper 7 has 14mm. Would I see a big difference in handling if I went to 16mm?

I'm sorry, I know I'm loaded with a billion questions but I'm really curious about learning new things. I just want to know as much as possible!

-Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 07:34 PM
K_B

Default RE: shock oil and after run oil

The saggy part is the springs. You might want stiffer springs. What kind of buggy is it? 8ight, right?

Start with a setup sheet and copy a setup as a starting point. Here's Adam Drake's "easy to drive" setup. It'll list what oil he uses in the shocks among other things:

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/t...RaceRoller.pdf

Here's a whole list of different setups for different drivers:

http://www.losi.com/Products/Support...rodID=LOSK0800

After Run Oil isn't anything special, so just about any will do. I would look for Marvel Mystery Oil in places like the auto parts store or Wal-Mart. It's the exact same thing as After Run Oil without the hobby shop price tag.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:53 PM
ace9213

Default RE: shock oil and after run oil

ORIGINAL: K_B

The saggy part is the springs. You might want stiffer springs. What kind of buggy is it? 8ight, right?

Start with a setup sheet and copy a setup as a starting point. Here's Adam Drake's "easy to drive" setup. It'll list what oil he uses in the shocks among other things:

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/t...RaceRoller.pdf

Here's a whole list of different setups for different drivers:

http://www.losi.com/Products/Support...rodID=LOSK0800

After Run Oil isn't anything special, so just about any will do. I would look for Marvel Mystery Oil in places like the auto parts store or Wal-Mart. It's the exact same thing as After Run Oil without the hobby shop price tag.
No it is not a 8ight, I have a hyper 7.

Thank you, I am going to those links right now.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:15 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: shock oil and after run oil and shocks in general

Springs

Stiffer Stiffer springs make the car feel more responsive, more direct.
They also help the car jump a little better and higher.
Stiff springs are suited for high-traction tracks, which aren't too bumpy.
Softer Softer springs are better for (mildly) bumpy tracks.
They can also make the car feel as if it has a little more traction in low-grip conditions.

Stiffer Front The car has less front traction, and less steering. It's harder to get the car to turn, the turn radius is bigger and the car has a lot less steering exiting corners.
The car will jump better, and maybe a little further.
On very high-grip tracks, it's usually beneficial to stiffen the front, even more than the rear. It just makes the car easier to drive, and faster.
Softer Front The car has more steering, especially in the middle part and the exit of the corner.
Front springs that are too soft can make the car hook and spin, and they can also make it react sluggishly.
Stiffer Rear The car has more steering, in the middle and exit of the turn. This is especially apparent in long, high-speed corners.
But rear traction is reduced.
Softer Rear The car has generally more rear traction, in turns as well as through bumps and while accellerating.
Damping

Heavier Thicker oil (heavier damping) makes the car more stable, and makes it handle more smoothly.
It also makes the car jump and land better.
If damping is too heavy, traction could be lost in bumpy sections.
Softer Soft damping (and springing) is better for shallow, ripply bumps.
It also makes the car react quicker.
Damping should always be adapted to the spring ratio; the suspension should never feel too 'springy' or too slow.
Heavier Front The turn radius is wider, but smoother. The car doesn't 'hook' suddenly.
The car is easier to drive, and high-speed steering feels very nice.
Softer Front The steering reacts quicker.
More and better low-speed steering.
Heavier Rear Steering feels quick and responsive, while the rear stays relatively stable.
Softer Rear Feels very easy to drive, the car can be 'thrown' into turns.
More rear traction while accellerating.
If one end of the car has slightly heavier damping than the other, then that end will feel as if it has the most consistent traction and the most stable when turning in and exiting corners.
A car with slightly heavier rear damping, or slightly lighter front damping will feel very stable turning into corners on bumps or whoops sections. It won't feel 'touchy' at all.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 AM
canuck5902

tutorial on filling your shocks http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=rixBJu93Qyw
Old 01-06-2009, 05:42 PM
ace9213

Thank you for all the posts. But I still have the major question of what shock oil weight I should use in my shocks?