Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Aluminum AirBoat

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 10:48 AM
pro27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aluminum AirBoat

If I remember my shop class from long ago, galvanized metals will not accept solder.......

Also, galvanizing is the application of zinc, which is also heavy.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:11 AM
playtime56
My Feedback: (1)

RE:Galvinized metal (zinc coated) Be VERY careful messing with that stuff in an enclosed area.The fumes coming off that zinc are toxic.They can make you so sick you'll wanta die just to feel better. I got my lesson on the subject when I was cutting a snow plow blade fron an oldtime hot water tank, so I'm speaking from experience. I would not want any of you guys to go through what I did for 2 days!! So watch the heat with galvinized.
Gordy
Old 03-04-2004, 02:22 AM
pro27

I knew there was a health risk concerning galvanizing but couldn't remember what it was.

thanks for giving us more of a clue .
Old 03-04-2004, 02:48 AM
playtime56

Guess I should mention my most vivid memories of zinc poisoning. Nausea,vomiting, and bone chilling cold feeling.I was cold to my bones. Blankets,heat pads--nothing could make me feel warm. I wouldn't wish that deal on Saddam!!! A hip replacement and heart bypass TOGETHER didn't feel as bad as that d___n zinc did. i've been afraid to look up the long term effects!
Gordy
Old 03-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there myself a few times, of course I did not have much say so on doing it. But I can remember the worst time. To put it plain and simple, for 7 days, if I had a gun in my house I would have used it to feel better.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:15 AM
pro27

Got out our Taber's .......

Zinc poisoning.... Violent vomiting, often bloody; increased salivation;painful diarrhea; coma. If patient recovers, nervous complications are frequent.

Of course, severity (dose) of poisoning makes a difference.[X(]
Old 03-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Model_Mann

ok i think the idea of soldering any thing galvinized is out of the question,

sounds like a week in He!! if you sniff those fumes, usually fumes make you[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] or [sm=bananahead.gif], lmao,
Old 03-04-2004, 02:41 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Well ... you could always go to your local army surplus store , buy one of those WWII gas masks , wear it and do the soldering outside ... ( only kidding .. )
Old 03-04-2004, 05:19 PM
trailerman

I weld on a daily basis sometimes inside ss tankers and I can tell you from experience to protect yourself from any welding fumes most any in a confined area will cause health problems use a respirator if possible the local welding supply should sell them to fit under a helmet and you can use vineger (is that spelled right?) to clean off galvanizing in some instances (but the fumes are almost as bad ;P) but this depends on how heavy the galv. is and the method used to apply it
Old 03-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Default RE: RE: Aluminum AirBoat

Started another aluminum hull today, made it just a little smaller. Still gonna run the .60 on it. Redesigned the dte engine stand, and I'm going to do some playing around with the rudders. Working on something that will help stop the hull from rolling.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:45 PM
TERBObob

Sounds good ...

Keep us updated .
Myself , I am finally getting around to throwing some paint on that shallow vee airboat that I recently made . Sooooooo ... she will then be ready for when the water becomes soft again . [8D]
Can't wait to see how she runs . She sits REALLY nice in the water when I fill the tub up .
So ... hope like heck she runs the same .
Also got my manufactured hull ( airboat ) finally finshed also ... ( yeah , yeah ... I know ... water rudder and not air rudder .... but I gotta see how well , or BAD these manufactured jobs do verses homemade .
Got two more in the finshing stages also .... one 31 incher and the other is a 22 incher . One normal style and the other ... well , lets just say "experimental" style .
Old 03-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Terbo, now you know that we need some pics.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:03 AM
TERBObob

Yeah ... I know . I usually prefer to do action shots , but since we are in the middle of transition here , I guess still shots will have to do .
Should have some either today or tomorrow . ( depends on how elaberate I am gonna get with the detailing ...
Old 03-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

The hull is almost done, all of the welding is complete. Just the runners, rails and the pod left, then its rigging it out.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:15 PM
TERBObob

Got any pics ? ( sorry , but you know what they say .... pictures say a thousand words [8D] )
Old 03-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

here Ya go
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62783.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	108226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47487.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	108227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31841.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	108228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42077.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	108229  
Old 03-07-2004, 06:12 AM
playtime56

Haljmac,
I know there would be some work involved,but have you thought about just polishing that boat, then hit it with a coat of clear?
Gordy
Old 03-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

That would be a lot of work...lol... But with the way I drive and the things I'm planning to drive through, it will get a few scratches on it. I'm building a course in the my back yard, in and out of my pond, over logs, over levee's, across the grass, a couple of jumps.
But it would look sharp with it being polished.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:46 PM
TERBObob

Hummmm .... although looks are GREAT .... I think I would go with getting her finished up and running her . THEN ... if she runs great and is up to your expectations , I would then think about doing the polish job . ( only because it is alum and should not be all that hard to bring a luster to her after a few trial runs . )
But , if this is gonna be one of those "demolition derby" versions , then heck ... leave her be and have TONS OF FUN !
{ Yep , I remember that video of that one airboat you ran out of the water , and up over that hill .... thats why I say ' demolition derby" )
Sorry ... couldn't help but throw that in there ...
Hey ... a little of subject , but just wanted you to know . I DID plan on taking out the boats today and running them in the area that is partially thawed in the lake , but , figured that you guys would no-way in heck believe that my airboats were going as fast as they would today ! ( seeing as to how we are having up to 40 mph wind gusts ... Man ... can you imagine .... the boat running at say up to 30 without any wind assistance and if I put the wind to her tail ...... WHOOSE ...... Or should I say "ZOOM ZOOM"
Old 03-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

LOL , Just think if you loose radio????40mph wind get ahold on her on that ice, look out. With that tail wind you might see 50+. Have fun and tell the wife to stay clear.
I'll post some pics of what I have been cleaning up, so that I can have a real place to play. Well its the same place in the Vid. I'll take a pic in the same area. Talk about, build up some muskals
Old 03-08-2004, 12:21 AM
pro27

Same here Terbo....
Lots of temporary lakes in the area that would be great to run on, but the wind has been crazy and would make things too uncontrolable. Guess I'll just ahve to wait for more rain to open up the lake and pray for calmer air.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:45 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

just took this thing for a water run. It handles great, Terbo, that set up with the rudders I was telling you about to stabilize the hull in the turns really works, I have a little too much lean on mine. It lifts the transome on a hard turn, making a pivit point on the tip of the inside bow. But the bottom line is I was able to turn it in the lenght of the hull while it was on step, without rolling it. My pond is not big enough to get top speed, but it looks like maybe 35mph(being realistic)
I was gonna get some vid, but you know me. I was coming in and I had anopening that is about 4' wide, between a set of tree stumps, I'm gonna see just how fast it would climb up 20' at 60 degrees. I missed my mark, did not hurt the hull any, but my few tank broke the nylon straps and went through the prop. Guess thats why I made it useing aluminum.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:11 PM
TERBObob

LOL .... Me thinks you might have a new nickname ----
THE

Demo

Man

And I ain't talking - demostration
Old 03-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Model_Mann

i want to see pictures of the finished boat before you destroy it DEMO MANahh j/k im just giving you $h!t, but i would like to see some finished pics,
Old 10-11-2023, 01:01 PM
GLee

Hello Mr Cajun GAtor

Did you ever get to making air boats for sale. A long time ago I was corresponding with a fellow who had a business started up and he make some really nice boats using sheet metal. I've lost any information about him so thought I would see if maybe you were selling boats now.

Regards,
Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.