Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bro rc Surfer Custom Boards

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.
View Poll Results: Would you like to see a Bro******** e-book published
Yes - that would be great !
73.91%
Not particularly
26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Bro rc Surfer Custom Boards

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 AM
YPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bro ********'s Custom Boards

Happy Mothers Day to all the great moms !........ hope you all had a great day with your families !

Bro !
Old 05-12-2013, 10:16 AM
YPC

Ended a great family day of celebrating Mothers day and Nicks birthday with a 3 pack session down at the Berg this evening in some 3 ft face perfect off-shore....the float'er is really growing on me.....CUTE is an apt description for it .....meaning.... 'ugly yet desirable'...........LOL...... it carves the face so effortlessly.

Bro'

Old 05-14-2013, 03:10 PM
wes oahu

HowzitBro' fessor Dom... Aloha! Used 2 follow your build on RCSA's forum then it disappeared! At the time ,I've had a few BoardSharks(5) and when they failed ,I tried modifying some tho I was using a brushless motor and esc from a Traxxas slash.It was fun 4 a little while,but I had some selfrighting issues and fried the esc!! Lol When I saw some vids on YouTube w/ Maui John's creations, I also stumbled upon your stuff on RCSA! Like I said,It disappeared ,so I contacted SurfCurls and inquired about the forum and they gave me a coupla links.Needless 2 say ,I was stoked 2 c ALL the custom builds goin' on everywhere! But I have 2 say your desire 2 "Share The Stoke" and your attention 2 detail explaining everything and documenting each step w/ photos has definitely inspired me 2 build my own!! Sometimes, I have a hard time understanding the technical stuff and equations at first, tho I eventually hope 2 get it! I've built 3 so far,tho the first 2 had righting issues! Not til I saw this thread,I hope 2 overcome them! Lol Basically, just wanted 2 say Thank You 4 your expertise and generosity to inspire all who decide to try and build their own! So Good Luck 2 u and your family producing 'Bro Surfers' and also on your ebook! P.S. Just wondering,on The Floater I noticed u had no channels and or concaves like Daniel's boards and was wondering if it would help with the trimtab issues? Hmm Keep up the GREAT WORK Bro'fessor Dom-Mahalo,Wes O'ahu
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 PM
YPC

WOW!...Howzit Wes ! thank you for your very 'inspiring note'

I am really pleased to know that what I have been sharing has partly encouraged you to build your very own customs....I would love to see a few pics and video's......please feel free to share your work on this forum.....
Always ! feel free to ask me to 'explain' any of the jargon I have written.....it can get lengthy...LOL

About the float'er ....as you know...the channels and concave in the actual Vanguard surfboard are to generate speed. With the ******** - the Pod pretty much 'spoils' the opportunity to take advantage of any of that detail ....the channel at the tail would also create 'to much' positive rocker - which would introduce porpoise.
I may play around with the concave shapes in the very nose which partly also plays a roll in reducing pearling- by driving the nose up -using the lifting force of the water.
The float'er does not need any of the trim tabs - the wider aft section generates plenty of lift and stability as it is......even in windy conditions - it rides and surf very flat.....

I have to say - I have been surfing the float'er for the past umpteen sessions on request of others to show it off more .... this board is incredible !.....it is really fun to surf in any surf....it continues to surprise me just about every session.....yesterday I pulled a classic 3 meter floater 'on the actual roof' of the wave....and brought it down.....it was insane..... received huge Hooots 1 from the dudes on the beach...

Some of the French ********s have taken quite a liking to the float'er.......I just recently received 2 orders to send over their....

The e-book/DVD is high on my 'to do' list......I will more than likely get down to producing it through our coming Winter........"if the surf is not to good'......LOL

Chow for now - keep us posted !

Bro'........fessor !!!.....Lisa-Marie thinks that's really funny......LOL

Old 05-15-2013, 04:00 AM
bearcave

hey Brofressor

My first time half built maui/bro inspired home built creationjust felloff a high bench....While cuttin out an old bucket for it to sit in it somehow slipped off the high bench smashed into hard things takin out nose and tail area...guess its ding repairs before gettin waves before even half built... lol

Anyway.. as you havementioned to wes and others toshareour building trips and pics.... if the server lets me post em here are some from the cave...lol

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35608.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1882093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16321.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1882094  
Old 05-19-2013, 02:26 AM
YPC

Howzit Guys

We had a great 'very early morning' session down at Long beach to-day. Video to follow - but in the meantime I was fortunate to have this very capable young man 'Tom' take a few great shots of Bro in action....

Big Thanks TOM....you definitely have an eye for great surf shots......we will be looking out for your photos in ZigZag and the like !

Bro'

Name:	Vt57287.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1883058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40637.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1883059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53711.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1883060  
Old 05-19-2013, 10:44 AM
YPC

The interim video camera we used only has a 4 X's zoom, so most of the footage is quite distant. The light was also down at the start of the session prior to the sun rising.
Great session - with a few great moves and barrels..........STOKED !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgey8ttKQ8g

Last edited by Justaddwata; 08-18-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 AM
YPC

Howzit guys !.....Something that is worth mentioning and a definite 'realization' which you may want to keep in mind.

.... is the difference in 'battery voltage' output under load depending on the water temperature.

Their is much interesting info on a lipo batteries voltage output - depending on its surrounding temperature.

In some very cold countries the lipo's voltage drops so low on initial take off load with the rc planes that the LVC actually kicks in and stalls the plane on the run way.........they preheat the batteries and keep them in warmer jackets ( like neoprene bear can sleeves)

I set my LVC tp 3.2 v's....especially for the winter temperatures....or my LVC kicks in on launch.

I can definitely 'feel' that I have less power output when surfing the cold Atlantic to when I am surfing the warmer Indian ocean......the lipo battery loses a few % of output voltage under load, when in pretty cold water conditions.

Wednesday is looking good for a great rc surf session on the Indian Ocean side for me.....hope to have the camera back....Meeting up with a young director/producer who wants to do a short film on Bro'......sounds like it could be fun.

My orders are also keeping me out of mischief.....currently finishing up a Shred'A" board for the UK.......2 float'ers for France.......and 1 float'er for SA............with a few pending.....starting to feel like a have a 'day job'...........LOL

Bro'
Old 05-20-2013, 07:27 AM
YPC

a few 'moments in time' from yesterdays session.......

Nothing like a Sunrise !

Banging the lip for some big air !

Trying to tuck it in.......

My favorite......the Rodeo !

Powering it down the line.....

Just love it ..........

Bro'

Name:	Rp44407.jpg
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1883540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74956.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1883541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80276.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1883542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11729.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	1883543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep85615.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1883544  
Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 AM
YPC

BC........this one is destined for the UK.........

Wanted to comment on the deck seal you mentioned elsewhere......I saw your sketch ....makes good sense..although I must say that this system of mine has proven itself well and only requires a very basic 3mm neoprene seal. ( securing bolts 'still to be fitted)

Name:	Ro41660.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1884227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15094.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1884228   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43840.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1884229  
Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 AM
bearcave

hey bro new UK export lookin good....think i see rail time with a round nose.... ?

I'm hopin to get this puppy glassed this weekend so i can start the next stage.....still in 20 minds of how to do the deck hold down points but will prob just keep to original plans and use the 4mm studs (9 of them) and the neoprene seal on the deck.... still going witha plywood waveforcebarrier and maybe a deck of ply to mount O ring footed kyo dude on for first tests... gunna marine varnish the deck and barrier then glue on the barrier and see what happens!

certainly won't be pretty might call it a 'woody'

all good Bro, nice tips on the lipo packsworkin withcold temps too... bc
Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 PM
YPC

Howzit BC....

As we have learn't and as the old cliche goes........"their are plenty of ways to skin a cat'........as long as the end result delivers the required expectation. I am sure your set up will be fine - remember - if you would like a few Plastic Knurled Nuts - send me your shipping address........

My only concern with the ply is that it will compress at the securing holes...make sure it is a good quality/high density piece of ply.
I would rather sand resin coat the ply rim and give the hatch cover a layer of 4 oz cloth either side with a finish coat of sanding resin. You want the rim to be slightly thicker/higher than the hatch cover - so that when the hatch seal is fitted and is secured -it tucks behind the rim - you don't want it to be proud - or the water pressure could penetrate under the seal.

The RIM - can be a stumbling block in the build - BUT as I have mentioned elsewhere - besides being a great 'deflector' - it also supports the hatch cover all around the peripheral which stops it from moving parallel to the housing surfing on impact - which could otherwise disrupt the studs bond.

To create the hatch cover from cloth and resin - use a sheet of glass as the mold base - mask tape a rectangular area that would be the suitable size for the hatch -wax it up with a few good layers of release wax and add a PVA release coat if you like - Lay up around 7 layers of 30oz chop strand - finishing with 1 layer of 6 oz woven cloth to create a nice textured surface.

I spray the back of the hatch white so that the neoprene seal is not visible and to establish a constant color base.

Bro'

Name:	Lj23473.jpg
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1885526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85379.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1885527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va70938.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1885528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89191.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1885529  
Old 05-25-2013, 11:11 PM
YPC

Weekend Surf Report :

I have had some really nice clean off-shore breeze 3-4 ft face surf down at Muizenberg - both Friday and Saturday - heading down later this afternoon for another few packs of fun.
Both my boys are enjoying the ancient art of 'actual surfing' - so we all have some great fun.

I am sticking with the float'er for a while to really get a good feel for it. So far I cant fault the board - it simply does what I tell it to do.'

A new PERSPECTIVE !

Take a look at this awesome product - It is so similar to what the rc Surfers look like in the water..back flips of the lip...power carves etc.......even the board looks 'float'er like..It allows one to break away from the rcSurfing perspective and lean more toward a rc Power Surfing perspective....which IMO is a truer presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWGTFcxAr7g&NR=1 [:-] Camera still in for repairs - its seems it will be a while - pity !

Last edited by Justaddwata; 08-18-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:40 AM
bearcave

Hey Bro

gunna give the plywood a go... thinkin if i carve some curvededgeon the ply deck when i compresses the seal 50% it will give the required wave force deflection.... goin bro style studs with another layer of glass lapping into the cavity before i stud up.... goin a syringe trip with hard core epoxy as well

If/when i build a big board may go a maui style deck with a bead seal and maybe hybrid deflection barrier but until then stickin withmy original plan....
Rekon the deck rim has many many attributes for what ********s are about..... so much more work butthe deck sealing is one of the keys to a functional surfer hey

all good bro ..... bear
Old 05-26-2013, 01:50 AM
bearcave

btw

nice vid of the jet

nice rail turn from 1.30min mark but then they said something about the ultimate ride and with such a cute bum carrying the jet i kinda wondered what they were infering too..... both look expensive but..... lol

sorry couldn't help myself........ bc
Old 05-26-2013, 02:08 AM
bearcave

and hey Bro if you are still talkin to me after the sex take on the jet vid.. oops... i have a question.....?

do you have any tips on how to cut a neat round hole in the seal i'm gunna be stickin to my deck.... i'm thinkin of getting some 4/5mm od pipe and countersinking and sharpening its end and punching it through the deck hole onto some wood after the seal has been applied...

any thoughts welcome regards bear who likes female bums ... lol
Old 05-26-2013, 06:00 AM
YPC

LOL.....exactly - 4mm brass tube off-cat - sharpen the outer end - place it in the hatch hole - seal pressed onto a wooden surface - give it a small knock - cuts the seal perfectly !

Going for a quick session......

Bro '
Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 AM
YPC

.........ended the weekend off watching 'Fast and Furious 6' (great action movie) then had an awesome late afternoon 3-4 ft face - light off-shore - length of ride..feathering wave...session....it was such a cool little wave, that I paddled my Long Board out after 4 battery packs and had some great long board surf fun, until it was short of pitch dark............the predicted conditions are much the same for to-morrow - this is our Winter season in False Bay - prevailing NE off -shore winds, keeping it clean.........

Bro'
Old 05-27-2013, 03:44 AM
kev.d

Howzit Bro'

I'm really enjoying our winter season.........great weather with some gentle off shore breezes. Had a fun surf over the week-end at Muizenberg, and looking forward to more off shore days to come.

Got my pod shaped and I am happy with the way it has turned out.... not bad for my first attempt! Was a little concerned at first, but it seems to have turned out OK in the end

Kev

Old 05-27-2013, 09:52 PM
YPC

Howzit Kev.

Yeah.....Winter does seem to be delivering. I have had 4 straight days of awesome rc surf down at the Berg with a few Long Board sessions of my own. This afternoon was no different......3-4 ft (FACE) perfect waves just pealing through...Barely had to jump any white water....it was like surfing a point break......to-morrow seems to be the same again.

The weather however has not been favorable for resin curing........causing my work to back up........I am going to build a small oven to post cure the resin during seasons like this.

Happy to hear that you have the Pod sorted - its my moms birthday Wednesday - maybe we can meet Thursday.

Bro'
Old 05-29-2013, 03:04 AM
YPC

Cutting holes in the hatch seal !

Drilling holes in the seal using a drill bit usually tears the seal area surrounding the hatch hole - the better way is to punch the holes out through the seal.

Method:
Simply use a brass tube off cut OD = to the require hole size - sharpen it's ID with a counter sink bit - place the seal flat on a wooden surface - place the brass tube through the hatch hole and tap it with a small hammer- Cuts a very neat hole.

Bro '

Name:	Mk27202.jpg
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1886690  
Old 05-29-2013, 10:42 AM
YPC

Midweek Surf report......

the great conditions just seem 'endless' ........another awesome late afternoon session - 3-4 ft face - off -shore.........AND.......... tomorrow is predicted to be 4-5 ft face off-shore......
I love Winter !

Bro'
Old 05-30-2013, 04:08 AM
YPC

Geroff's custom Nimh Shred'A'

Built this one lighter to accommodate heavier Nimh batteries: 7.2v's - 8.4v's......total RTS weight should be just under 2kg's......running a 27mm plastic prop / 3900 kv brushless motor. Very nice - smooth - set up !

Plenty of 'Winter weed' in our marina bogging the prop and rudder.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXKksF4ck94

Name:	Kh17603.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1887020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31440.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1887021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66271.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1887022  

Last edited by Justaddwata; 08-18-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:55 AM
YPC

A few more detailed photos of the Shred'A" board ' .......as it would be sold 'without the electrics' including hatch cover and Bro Surfer - for $600 plus shipping.

The float'er would be the same deal.....

Both boards run the 3650 motor size - 2250 kv or 2900 kv / 4s or 3s - 27mm - 30 mm prop size.

Name:	Xv63707.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1887072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87443.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1887073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43755.jpg
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1887074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87906.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1887075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa34855.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1887076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13089.jpg
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1887077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl95371.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1887078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Po48848.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1887079  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Us25078.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1887080   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76479.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1887081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55083.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1887082  
Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 AM
YPC

Friday session.......just to 'far out'......

could barely see and film Bro at the back line ................. unfortunately....max digital zoom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zoJqObsLXA

Last edited by Justaddwata; 08-18-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.