Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Radio Box Mounting Options

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Radio Box Mounting Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 09:01 AM
BamaHammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Box Mounting Options

Hello, I am a newbie here. I am in the process of upgrading an Aquacraft Nitro Hammer. I have upgraded the rudder with a nice aluminum one from GrimRacer that looks really nice. I currently have the radio box out of the boat for the rudder installation and was considering using screws to mount the box back onto the wood rails instead of using epoxy. Doss this sound like a good idea, or should I just epoxy it back in? Any thoughts and/or suggestions are more than welcome.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:05 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've ran 8-32 bolts through mine to hold them in place but for your hull you could get away with smaller. Somewhere I scored some rubber backed washers to help with sealing the holes. Possibly Servo City has them.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:20 PM
BamaHammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for the response. My boat has a fiberglass hull and there are wood rails running down the center and everything in mounted to the wood and not the hull. Originally, the radio box was glued to the wood rails but I removed it fairly easily in order to install a new rudder syste . What I had in mind was to spread a little epoxy on the rails and then use some small screws to mount the box more firmly to the rails. I would measure and pre-drill some pilot holes first of course, the tricky part is making sure that the hatch mounting post lines up correctly with the box.
This has been a fun project so far. I got the boat and took it all apart and I am just doing some things to it that will make it better. Thanks again for the info.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:26 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, you could do that too. I've tried various ways over the years to mount them. I've used JB Weld in the corners with the box sprayed with something like WD-40 so that box doesn't stick while it's setting. I've used wood sticks to hold the front and rears in place then cup hooks for rubber bands. It's a spot that you can use your imagination in.