Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help please

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Need help please

Old 04-29-2020, 07:14 PM
Xjsport95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please

I have a model boat running a 26cc gasoline engine... the engine was modified years ago from a weed trimmer... the engine is now shot and looking to convert to electric but, I donít know where to start? Brushed? Brushless? What size motor? How to set up the drive line?

its a hand made wooden hill originally scaled up from plans for a deep vee hull speed boat...

thedrive line currently in it is the flex shaft from the weed trimmer, brass stuffing tube... would be fine with running a solid shaft if needed

the hull measures 44Ē long, 16Ē wide and the weight I would guess around 15-20 lbs
Old 04-30-2020, 02:49 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a heavy hull even without the gas engine and would take a large electric motor to push it. The motor would cost more than the old hull is worth. Why not fix the motor that's in it and have fun with it. Might just need a good carb cleaning and rebuild and maybe a new ring. You can get a lot of parts off Ebay for engines and even new engines,but if it is modified it might be worth keeping . What brand of engine is it ? If you can take pics of it,you could send them to my email address which I'll give to you in a PM.I can then post them in your thread as you're not allowed to post pics until you get 10 posts

Last edited by Tidnab; 04-30-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:59 PM
Tidnab

Default Xjsport95 Boat and Engine

Ok, it's air cooled.It may be 25cc or 30cc depending if it has a bridge in the exhaust opening.I think those old JDs were like the Homelites.Could use some more trimming on the plastic shroud.Looks like all home made hardware and a straight shaft which isn't good ,but can be remedied.Later maybe a Zenoah 26cc would be a good upgrade.

Last edited by Tidnab; 04-30-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:55 PM
Xjsport95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used the old flex shaft that the weed trimmer was equipped with... trimmed it down and used a brass tube to couple the flex shaft to a stainless shaft for the drive dog and prop
all the hardware was homemade... the boat was originally an 18Ē model that my grandmother bought me before she passed... I scaled the plans up to the size it is now... even if it isnít worth putting another motor in, it has sentimental value to me... ironically the boat was built from the luan plywood from a door out her house... I started building it in 2005, thatís where I came up with the number 15... took me 15 years to finally finish it... Iíve had it in the water numerous times in the past but, 15 years to finally finish it and get the paint how I wanted it.
Its probably not worth the money to replace/rebuild the engine but, I donít care about the money... itís more sentimental to me.
she loved going to the local pond with me to watch the rc boats running around...thatís why I scaled the plans up, was hoping to get it on the water with her but, that never happened, she passed before it was done, she would have loved to see it finally finished... The final boat is dedicated to her...

Last edited by Xjsport95; 04-30-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:11 PM
Tidnab

I would suggest if you want any speed out of it to replace that straight shaft with a curved one which would be subsurface or even better yet a surface drive.Straight shafts angled down at mostly on scale boats or real one with a lot of horsepower,like a flat bottom drag boat.I see at the V in the bottom there's something there.Would be the perfect place for the shaft to come out. Another thing is to go with an already made prop like a Prather 270 or 275,a good starter prop for a Homelite/John Deere.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:05 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

She looks a great old build for sure. You have had enough of gas motors? Should be pretty easy to locate something to work in place of the motor you have. I build something similar for my first gas boat. Basically made everything - hull, hardware, prop - you name it. Mine was desperately ugly and really did not work well - but it fueled more knowledge and creativity than probably every boat I have had since.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	2267222