Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please Help, what size engine is this?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Please Help, what size engine is this?

Old 06-29-2004, 09:20 AM
Jared1106

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help, what size engine is this?

Hello,
I recently bought a gas boat on eBay. It is a Gas Powered Scarab, kit no. 1438. The engine is a McCulloch One Shot, its yellow, liquid cooled. But I have no idea how big (cc) it is... Here is a picture, it is a bit dusty, but as far as I can tell it is brand new never ran even once. This is a bit older kit. If anyone knows please let me know, thanks Alot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57172.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	148544  
Old 06-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Jared1106

Default RE: Please Help, what size engine is this?

Also, the liquid system is forced water, can I put a pump on like the one that is in my Enforcer to pump the water? I do not know alot about these boats, all I know is they are alot of fun!
Old 06-29-2004, 04:54 PM
pompebled

If it has any type number on it you can find the specs on the Electrolux website.

Otherwise, just measure the stroke length of the piston and multiplie that by the surface of the piston.

If the motor has no clutch, a waterpickup in the propwash (or in the rudder) will provide enough cooling water, with a clutch you'll need a membrane pomp, that's driven by a pulse lead on the motor housing.
Look at www.shark-racing.com how it's done.

Regards, Jan.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:38 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Marine Specialties sold some Mac's converted for R/C boat use. Check their site for info.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Jared1106

Found out it is a 22cc, thanks!
Old 07-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Aaronie

I had a motor just like that - McCulloch Eager Beaver. I put it in my first rc boat and what a pain. The magnetos are weak in those motors, so when they get hot the motor will not run for a while. If you were planning to put that motor in a boat please don't. Your just looking for trouble. Get atleast a Homelite or Zenoah. Homelites are pretty good motors and Warehouse Hobbies sells parts for them. Run down to Home Depot and get a Homelite for $69.99. Do what ever you want, but I'm just trying to give you a heads up.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Jared1106

This is the Sure Shot, Dumas installed this engine at the factory, it is liquid cooled. Is that the same kind of engine you had in yours? Or was your just off a weedwacker and put onto a boat? Thanks for the info, I bought the boat with the motor installed, it has never been ran, I am actualy going to get to work on putting in the radio box and driling for the linckage's this afternoon.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Aaronie

I got the McCulloch motor from a local hardware store. Then, I put the whole boat together. Mine wasnt water-cooled, but that wasnt the problem of why it stalled out all the time. I just think the McCulloch magnetos are not that reliable. I "burnt" one magneto then replaced it with a working one and the motor ran like new. I think you would be happier with a Homelite or even a Zenoah. The McCulloch engines are not to powerful either, pretty soon you will want a Zenoah. You could get a cheap Zenoah on eBay or over on Jim's R/C Boat Dock. Spend the cash now and instead upgrading and upgrading later.

I notice you live in Lincolnville, Maine. I'm down in Connecticut. We are having a rc boat race up there in Sanford, Maine on August 14th! I know you are a little less than 3 hours away from Sanford, but come check it out! More info at http://www.namba11.com/

AARON
Old 07-12-2004, 07:58 AM
Jared1106

I got this boat on Ebay for a good price, compleate, never ran, I am going to get it all together and run it a few times then most likly sell it. I have a Enforcer Man-O-War I just got brand new a few months ago, nice boat, its HUGE. I have heard that the McCulloch is not a strong motor but it will still be fun, and I do know all to well that bigger engines are definatly better.
Where is the boat race at in Sanford? I would definatly be interested in checking that out.... I goto Sanford often, I travel for a living, I goto Mass. 3 days a week.... I use to goto CT. but dont have to anymore, thankfully, too far to drive every day!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Aaronie

Yes, you will still have fun with the McCulloch and you made a good choice with the Man-O-War. The race should be at #1 Pond in Sanford. I do not know any other information about it. They have not updated the website. It will be updated a week or two before the race.

[link=http://www.namba11.com]More info.[/link]
Old 07-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Jared1106

I have the web site saved to my favorites, I will keep looking, are there alot of people who go to race? And is it differant classes, gas, nitro, etc? And do you have to be a member to race? any entry fees? Either way I think I will go just to watch...
Old 07-12-2004, 10:29 AM
Aaronie

There are many racers and at the last race it was right in the middle of a small town and many people were watching. There are many classes, both Gas and Nitro. No electrics yet. You have to be a member of NAMBA to race. You might be able to get a "One Day Memebership" at the race. But, I'm not sure. There are entry fees usually 10 bucks for first boat and 6 bucks for every other boat. It is fun to watch!